NHL 19 Information/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I remember reading the GM Connected league threads on HF back before that years version even got released.. people were making, like, 50 trades before the game even got released :laugh: I always wondered if they actually made all those trades once the game came out

The league I was part of put rules in place to make trades be more realistic and you had to determine your "3 core" players and you couldn't trade them for a number of seasons.. there were also rules for FA signings and things like that.. it was very no-nonsense and a very well organized league. The Bluth Company (RIP)

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
so they are advertising over 200 legends, do you think you will be able to play in practice or offline with them or just hut? im assuming its just hut as they want to milk ever f***ing cent

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I remember reading the GM Connected league threads on HF back before that years version even got released.. people were making, like, 50 trades before the game even got released :laugh: I always wondered if they actually made all those trades once the game came out

no they didint, i was the islanders an chuckwoods was the leafs, he traded me dion for strome and cried like a bitch to the commish when it turned out dion was an 89. tried to have the trade vetooed and threatened to quit, guy wa a bitch. then he was crying because strome was right handed and he wanted all left handed players(some insider eh, he didnt even know which player was left or right handed.

once the mode started the commish was overwhelmed approving and players dissapeared and it took forever, three quarters quit and it stalled out.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Anyone trying to tell you Frostbite is “just graphics” is just trying to defend EA.

Frostbite is the overall game engine, and it’s miles better than the one EA currently uses. The reason things like puck pickups failed and hardly works is because the engine can’t handle it. It’s too complicated. I imagine the RPM will have similar issues.

Though the other part of me thinks this RPM skating and hitting engine must be the best thing to ever come to NHL video games because they made it the only significant addition, with the scouting update and the play on a pond thing as the two secondary additions.

Like NHL 10 got great reviews. The reason? They added A TON to that game. That game had as many additions and updates as 17, 18, & 19 probably had combined.

It all didn’t work great, the first person fighting engine was kinda wonky, but people didn’t mind because there was so much new to the game, that some issues were understandable.

The general reaction to the Pond hockey stuff seems to be mainly negative, because people see it as another Threes. Play it a couple times and that is it.

What if the RPM doesn’t work that well? What if the new scouting in franchise isn’t what we are envisioning?

Right now, those two things need to be homeruns in order to salvage this game.

If they aren’t.....

EA already put NHL in a 6 foot hole. Can they even climb out of the coffin at this point?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It remains unfathomable to me that they can't even add roster sharing to their games, especially when they do such a piss poor and half assed job rating players. I'm sure a player on the decline who is on the verge of retirement like Michael Cammalleri is still rated in the 80s with high scoring ratings.

Reactions: FabledKnight

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
They need to take a development cycle off like that MLB game did recently. That's the only way this will ever get resolved.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
It remains unfathomable to me that they can't even add roster sharing to their games, especially when they do such a piss poor and half assed job rating players. I'm sure a player on the decline who is on the verge of retirement like Michael Cammalleri is still rated in the 80s with high scoring ratings.
Barkov will be a mid 80s power forward with mediocre defensive grades for the 4th year in a row.

They need to take a development cycle off like that MLB game did recently. That's the only way this will ever get resolved.
They essentially did that when they didn't release a next gen game when PS4 and XBONE came out. The reality is that NHL is a last priority for EA. They aren't concerned with getting new buyers for the game. They know the game is already down to its core buyers who will buy the game no matter what and then spend $400+ on HUT. They don't think it's worth it to get it from out of the gutter.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Barkov will be a mid 80s power forward with mediocre defensive grades for the 4th year in a row.

They essentially did that when they didn't release a next gen game when PS4 and XBONE came out. The reality is that NHL is a last priority for EA. They aren't concerned with getting new buyers for the game. They know the game is already down to its core buyers who will buy the game no matter what and then spend $400+ on HUT. They don't think it's worth it to get it from out of the gutter.
I don't think they don't think it's worth it. There's only so many resources that can be allocated to production of the game. They just probably assume that it's worth more to invest in Madden/Fifa and only marginally upgrade NHL since, as you said, the game is basically down to its core buyers

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I hope they improve the defense players! At least make em grade A pointers, mostly B- C+

As long as the AI teammates on defense stop

a) getting caught floating ridiculously far up ice on every play
b) following the puck carrier around like a drunken conga line

I'll be a happy camper.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I don't think they don't think it's worth it. There's only so many resources that can be allocated to production of the game. They just probably assume that it's worth more to invest in Madden/Fifa and only marginally upgrade NHL since, as you said, the game is basically down to its core buyers
They have the resources. They just don't want to spend them on a game they think has no growth potential.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
You can definitely tell when you get lucky enough to get a couple players who know what they doing and can actually setup and sustain offense in the zone. But those are very far and few in between.

Even little things like having your goalie freeze the puck when appropriate are incredibly rare to find in an online opponent. I mean I understand people want to get through games quickly, but 99% of online players toss the puck away the second their goalie touches it like it's a live grenade.

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
The RPM tech is interesting and I hope they implemented it well but based on previous iterations of the game I have my doubts.

I really wish EA NHL would cut out all the stupid gimmicks. Does anyone care for NHL Threes or the new pond hockey game they added for 19? Like instead of spending what I'd imagine is a large chunk of their already minimal budget on garbage that nobody wants, improve upon what you have. Make an in depth GM mode, an intriguing be a pro, make EASHL a unique experience. Overhaul some of the horrid game play mechanics. Madden and FIFA don't have a lot of game modes. So adding new game modes IMO won't draw more interest, but fixing the glaring issues with gameplay, making franchise mode an in depth game mode where it really brings a challenge, making be a pro compelling by having some type of story or external factors instead of just going game by game. EASHL could use a lot of work with actually being able to customize your guy instead the ridiculous preset classes.

I'm rather pissed they didn't add Fristbite as well.

Reactions: FabledKnight

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
They have the resources. They just don't want to spend them on a game they think has no growth potential.
I think you're correct and they'd never take a cycle off considering the niche market. To fix this they would have to implement an entirely new development team to begin producing NHL 21. The current team would stay the course and produce the garbage iterations until then.

I see everyone complaining about the A.I. and that's also largely due to the game engine. I'm sure they could do some custom workarounds to make minor improvements, but that would mean lots of work for a marginal benefit and all that work would be for nothing once they do move to Frostbite. Let's cross our fingers that they've already been doing what I described above with a team working on Frostbite for NHL 20.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I think you're correct and they'd never take a cycle off considering the niche market. To fix this they would have to implement an entirely new development team to begin producing NHL 21. The current team would stay the course and produce the garbage iterations until then.

I see everyone complaining about the A.I. and that's also largely due to the game engine. I'm sure they could do some custom workarounds to make minor improvements, but that would mean lots of work for a marginal benefit and all that work would be for nothing once they do move to Frostbite. Let's cross our fingers that they've already been doing what I described above with a team working on Frostbite for NHL 20.
If Frostbite was coming, they would announce it to get people off their backs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’m not sure, but I’m pretty certain the new hitting engine is the one they had before they completely nuked hitting.

A lot of those hits looked familiar from past games

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I was thinking of just giving up and playing Fifa instead when I crave a sports game, but after EA ruining star wars games and now the complete lack of care put into this franchise I just can't bring myself to throw more money at that black hole of a company.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The RPM tech is interesting and I hope they implemented it well but based on previous iterations of the game I have my doubts.

I really wish EA NHL would cut out all the stupid gimmicks. Does anyone care for NHL Threes or the new pond hockey game they added for 19? Like instead of spending what I'd imagine is a large chunk of their already minimal budget on garbage that nobody wants, improve upon what you have. Make an in depth GM mode, an intriguing be a pro, make EASHL a unique experience. Overhaul some of the horrid game play mechanics. Madden and FIFA don't have a lot of game modes. So adding new game modes IMO won't draw more interest, but fixing the glaring issues with gameplay, making franchise mode an in depth game mode where it really brings a challenge, making be a pro compelling by having some type of story or external factors instead of just going game by game. EASHL could use a lot of work with actually being able to customize your guy instead the ridiculous preset classes.

I'm rather pissed they didn't add Fristbite as well.

Boggles my mind why they bring in BS like pond hockey lol. I won't even test it out once. All I care about is realism. Proper ratings, puck physics, etc, etc. Game play. Also, F*** HUT, etc lol

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's funny how EA's answer to the overwhelming question of why we haven't gotten GM Connected back is "well, no one played it so we don't want to waste our time" but yet they waste their time with this pond mode, "threes" and gimmicks that no one plays :laugh:

Sports gamers crave "Be A Pro" modes yet they don't touch that at all.

This company is dumb

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
It's funny how EA's answer to the overwhelming question of why we haven't gotten GM Connected back is "well, no one played it so we don't want to waste our time" but yet they waste their time with this pond mode, "threes" and gimmicks that no one plays :laugh:

Sports gamers crave "Be A Pro" modes yet they don't touch that at all.

This company is dumb
And the most hilarious is that, part of the reason people didn't play it was awfully optimized (server lags, seasons too long, etc.)

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I was thinking of just giving up and playing Fifa instead when I crave a sports game, but after EA ruining star wars games and now the complete lack of care put into this franchise I just can't bring myself to throw more money at that black hole of a company.

Don’t play FIFA, you will regret it. The gameplay is worse than NHL and they arguably focus on ultimate team even more than NHL does.

Reactions: BogsDiamond

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
And the most hilarious is that, part of the reason people didn't play it was awfully optimized (server lags, seasons too long, etc.)
... players disappearing, inadequate commissioner tools, inability to schedule advances, glitches that allowed players to be traded without commissioner approval, players could quit out of games at the last minute and the game wouldn't count, etc.

If anything, I think it demonstrated how much people wanted the mode given how many people played it DESPITE it being barely playable (especially in NHL 13).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->