** NHL 14 Thread **

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
:laugh: You guys don't even need me. I'm horrible and float like Marleau. Plus you guys score all the goals. But I'll probably buy it anyways just because I love hockey too much.

:laugh: Don't be so modest. You're our Bergeron.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Looks the same besides the fighting engine which IMO was a complete waste of time for them to make. Now can we just hear more about BAGM. If its not playable on the PS3 which wouldn't surprise me one bit, I will question myself if I should buy this. And it sucks because this is the only hockey game out there.

How does it look the same? They revamped pivot skating, hitting, dekeing(sp?), and fighting. In terms of graphics, of course it looks the same, this is the best that the current gen console can do.

McSkittlez

Jumbo Trollton
Jul 19, 2010
San Jose
How does it look the same? They revamped pivot skating, hitting, dekeing(sp?), and fighting. In terms of graphics, of course it looks the same, this is the best that the current gen console can do.

Skating pretty much looks the same. I actually liked the skating engine last year. You have Seabrook, Stalberg, and Hossa taking down Chara all in one game. You could say they revamped the hitting in terms of rag doll effects which was ridiculously hilarious in NHL 13. I'm pretty sure EA kept stating that height and weight matters in hitting now which they been saying for the past two years, but I don't see it in that game play. The one touch deking? Really? They just made it even easier for new people. I rather have it the same because deking is suppose to be difficult to do. And like I said about the fighting, it was a complete waste of time. Sure it looks fun but EA could have put all that time and effort into something else. I mosty play EASHL, so why would I want to fight be kept off the ice for 5 mins. I could care less about the graphics. Improve the gameplay.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

no no no. have you played the last of us? and maybe then can put more than 10% of the players real faces in the game? that pisses me off a lot. how much effort does it take to do that? christ, nba 2k 13 puts everyone's faces in, even rookies! theyre just lazy

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Skating pretty much looks the same. I actually liked the skating engine last year. You have Seabrook, Stalberg, and Hossa taking down Chara all in one game. You could say they revamped the hitting in terms of rag doll effects which was ridiculously hilarious in NHL 13. I'm pretty sure EA kept stating that height and weight matters in hitting now which they been saying for the past two years, but I don't see it in that game play. The one touch deking? Really? They just made it even easier for new people. I rather have it the same because deking is suppose to be difficult to do. And like I said about the fighting, it was a complete waste of time. Sure it looks fun but EA could have put all that time and effort into something else. I mosty play EASHL, so why would I want to fight be kept off the ice for 5 mins. I could care less about the graphics. Improve the gameplay.

Of course skating is the same other than tweaking backskating and pivoting.

What's wrong with Seabrook, Stalberg, or Hossa taking down Chara? Chara is not some invincible wall, Seabrook, Stalberg, and Hossa are all pretty strong on their skates and there is no counter-checking available for the player with the puck. There is no button or combination to counter-check while you have the puck. If you are referring to the NHL 94 game mode gameplay I'd like to say that I don't believe it uses the same sliders as a regular game mode WHICH NO ONE HAS EVEN SEEN YET other than a couple crappy phone videos on youtube. The NHL 94 gameplay simply looks too fast and if that's the actual gameplay than I will be unbelievably disappointed but I doubt that's the case. It looks like the sped up the gameplay for NHL 94 mode.

How did they make it easier for new people using the one-touch deke system? Have you personally used it and know exactly how it works? One big pet peeve of mine in 13 was not having the ability to bring the puck to my other hand without going through an opposing players stick. This is realistic and needed to be added.

Fighting needed to be revamped, it now adds more realism to the game. Sure they could have worked on something else but what? You can't exactly say what else they should have worked on without seeing the changes yet because you haven't played the game. Fighting is a major part of hockey and the system they've had set up for it the past few years was terrible. I've always wanted real scrums after a whistle rather than just players glide bumping into the player the AI has been told to "cover".

It's easy to say what needs to be changed but it's not as easy for game developers to drastically change a game that you have to make every year. The improvements they have made to the game are fantastic for the time frame they have.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
no no no. have you played the last of us? and maybe then can put more than 10% of the players real faces in the game? that pisses me off a lot. how much effort does it take to do that? christ, nba 2k 13 puts everyone's faces in, even rookies! theyre just lazy

You are comparing an RPG game that's available on PC to a sports game? One that has to be released every single year?

It does bother me not having the correct face for every player. But they've always only worked hard on marketable players faces because they are the most recognized by casual fans. And I understand a lot of hardcore hockey fans play it, but I'm sure there are just as many if not more "casuals" by HF standards.

How much effort does it take? Well, NBA 2K13 is 2K's biggest game. EA still has to work on NHL, Madden, FIFA, and MLB. I get the feeling a lot of you don't really know how much work goes into game development.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
It's easy to say what needs to be changed but it's not as easy for game developers to drastically change a game that you have to make every year. The improvements they have made to the game are fantastic for the time frame they have.

What bothers me is the faults that they just completely ignored. There was crazy lag going through the menus in NHL 12, and it is just as bad as NHL 13. The faceoff spam was there in NHL 12, and it's still there in NHL 13. Those are pretty simple fixes, but they've been in the game for 2 years now. Instead of working on some gameplay, over the years they've just added gimmicky stuff like the Winter Classic, NHL Moments Live, etc.

I was already thinking if I should even buy NHL 14. Not saying I won't buy it yet, but I'll wait for some user feedback before I make a decision. And if Skittlez doesn't buy it, that's just another (huge) con. :laugh:

Last edited:

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
What bothers me is the faults that they just completely ignored. There was crazy lag going through the menus in NHL 12, and it is just as bad as NHL 13. The faceoff spam was there in NHL 12, and it's still there in NHL 13. Those are pretty simple fixes, but they've been in the game for 2 years now. Instead of working on some gameplay, over the years they've just added gimmicky stuff like the Winter Classic, NHL Moments Live, etc.

I was already thinking if I should even buy NHL 14. Not saying I won't buy it yet, but I'll wait for some user feedback before I make a decision. And if Skittlez doesn't buy it, that's just another (huge) con. :laugh:
Faceoffs spamming? I've never had a problem with faceoff spammers. It comes down to you are either bad at faceoffs, your center's faceoff rating is significantly lower than the opposing center, or both.

rgb63

Jan 29, 2009
Faceoffs spamming? I've never had a problem with faceoff spammers. It comes down to you are either bad at faceoffs, your center's faceoff rating is significantly lower than the opposing center, or both.

Yeah, pretty much this. My versus FO% is 63.3%

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

There are people who know how to spam well and if your connection is not perfect, it makes timing basically irrelevant.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
There are people who know how to spam well and if your connection is not perfect, it makes timing basically irrelevant.

I'm not sure what your poor connection has to do with EA screwing you on faceoffs. Welcome to online gaming, where connection matters.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not sure what your poor connection has to do with EA screwing you on faceoffs. Welcome to online gaming, where connection matters.

My connection's fine, you don't have to be so arrogant about it. If you play EASHL and you're playing against a team on the opposite coast server as you, everyone knows it's harder to do everything, including win faceoffs. Your connection pretty much doesn't matter at that point because it's about latency due to distance from the host server.

But that's besides the point. I can faceoff spam and win face-offs like everyone else. It's just not fun because it's not about timing anymore.

srsly989

Sep 15, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
You are comparing an RPG game that's available on PC to a sports game? One that has to be released every single year?

It does bother me not having the correct face for every player. But they've always only worked hard on marketable players faces because they are the most recognized by casual fans. And I understand a lot of hardcore hockey fans play it, but I'm sure there are just as many if not more "casuals" by HF standards.

How much effort does it take? Well, NBA 2K13 is 2K's biggest game. EA still has to work on NHL, Madden, FIFA, and MLB. I get the feeling a lot of you don't really know how much work goes into game development.

You don't seem to know what The Last of Us is, its PS3 exclusive. But it doesn't make any sense for TLOU to even be brought in. I garauntee NHL 15 will look great with ignite. Its not like NHL 14 isn't a bad looking game.

And EA doesn't make any Baseball games.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You don't seem to know what The Last of Us is, its PS3 exclusive. But it doesn't make any sense for TLOU to even be brought in. I garauntee NHL 15 will look great with ignite. Its not like NHL 14 isn't a bad looking game.

And EA doesn't make any Baseball games.

And they have completely different teams working on each title, not the same people working across every title. The guys working on Madden are located in Florida. The guys working on NHL are based in Vancouver.

DanltQC

Mar 23, 2013
Gatineau
when are we going to learn anything about this game? I want to know about GM Connected and the new be a pro thing.

I don't care about NHL 94, it will flop like winter classic

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Yeah, I'm interested to see if they fixed the godawful loading times in GM Connected. Also, they should let the league creator upload their own rosters so that prospects can be edited and certain players can be added. I don't understand why the NHL games don't allow players to do this. It's in MLB The Show and the NBA 2K series, and usually the user generated rosters are far better than EA's rosters.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
They need to improve the GM and Be a Pro modes. They're both so flawed. They always half a** those by adding new features without ever addressing the problems within such as: players being the wrong position, being unable to change a forward's position, player development, injuries, cap inflation. There are more problems, but if they addressed those, I'd be more than content.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
They need to improve the GM and Be a Pro modes. They're both so flawed. They always half a** those by adding new features without ever addressing the problems within such as: players being the wrong position, being unable to change a forward's position, player development, injuries, cap inflation. There are more problems, but if they addressed those, I'd be more than content.

Player growth is awful.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

dont release a game every year then if you cant make significant improvements in one years time(which is complete bs - thats enough time to improve gameplay/add faces). ea is basically running a scam with the unfinished product they pump out every year. how could you take people's money if you know that you did little to improve from last years $60 game? its sad.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
dont release a game every year then if you cant make significant improvements in one years time(which is complete bs - thats enough time to improve gameplay/add faces). ea is basically running a scam with the unfinished product they pump out every year. how could you take people's money if you know that you did little to improve from last years $60 game? its sad.

Your post is very true but if it didn't work, they'd stop. The fact that they can sucker people in every year (heck, I'll probably buy this year since I'm an offline-gamer and wanna see the new BaP) is why they keep doing it.

The game overall isn't even bad, there's just some sloppiness in it. Things like player faces, loading times, customization of rosters and divisions (I assume they won't be updated in this game) are easy things to look into yet they have no need to since the game will still sell anyways.

All I want is the sim speed to be fixed. No need for it to take 15 seconds to sim over a single game. And I know that sounds so much like first world problems :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad