** NHL 14 Thread **

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com
Been buying these games every year since the NES/SNES days. NHL13 was the first version that I felt was absolutely broken because of the True Performance Skating. I was really hoping that NHL14 wouldn't have this again. I'm likely in the minority, but I think the skating engine is crap. Really disappointing (for me anyways).

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Does anyone know when they are coming out with information on the GM Mode. I hope they've fixed some things in that department cause that's what I play most other than online.

The lack of news up until this point is definitely concerning - it almost makes you wonder whether or not they've really introduced anything new to the mode!?

My gut feeling tells me that they have revamped the mode quite a bit though. That, and common sense - they know that while it's not the most popular mode, there are a lot of people who flesh out hours of NHL gameplay via that mode.

I don't think they would risk angering gamers by not making the necessary tweaks to the mode that it needs.

It's a great mode, and doesn't need much of a change at all. Just a real face life, and some adjusting to the bigger issues that plagues the mode, and everything should be fine.

Surely EA can get that right

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
I hope they keep track of the career stats better in GM mode. It on;y shows like the previous 4 seasons in the career stats, like how hard is it to show stats for all the seasons? They used to in the older NHL games and they do in Madden

Burrows19

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Anyone heard anything on where to trade in 13 this year to get the best discount for 14? I remember in the past Gamestop being great with trading in NHL games but I haven't heard anything this year. Thanks

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Apparently for Be a pro, you can have your players on billboard and have stuff like teammates inviting you for a dinner, etc., kind of like NBA 2k my player mode.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
What i hope for stats is that we can see draft picks. For example: your team badly needs a prolific scorer n scouts this kid with tons of potential but has a bad season aka John Mcfarland. Do you still take him and take that chance OR draft lets say Monahan who played on a bad team but kept his stats high?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I hope they keep track of the career stats better in GM mode. It on;y shows like the previous 4 seasons in the career stats, like how hard is it to show stats for all the seasons? They used to in the older NHL games and they do in Madden

Fully agree with this.

It needs to be in the game.

It's really frustrating when you finish a 20 or 25 year Be a GM mode, and you want to have a look back and see how your franchise prospect, or your goaltending stud, did throughout the 10-15 years he played on your team right before he retired.

Definitely something they need to add into.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
What i hope for stats is that we can see draft picks. For example: your team badly needs a prolific scorer n scouts this kid with tons of potential but has a bad season aka John Mcfarland. Do you still take him and take that chance OR draft lets say Monahan who played on a bad team but kept his stats high?

Some of us have been calling for this since Be-A-GM was first introduced. EA just doesn't care.

There's so many little things that could make this franchise mode awesome but EA refuses to dedicate time to their implementation.

How about a hockeydb style stats page where we can view the history of our players and where/when they were drafted?

Oh and for ****s sake can they please finally get waivers straightened out. I'm sick of seeing players claimed then stashed away in the minors. That's not how it works, EA!

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
I mostly play online so I really want to see improvements to the presentation but with all the videos out, it looks like the same old ****.

Also I'd like for players to be aware when they're in the offensive zone and close to going offside. Right now you literally move the stick wrong once and the animation sends you offside. I think they need to add an animation that keeps you onside.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Not sure if any of you have seen this... Wasn't posted.

IMHO it looks really underwhelming. Like Winter Classic mode, a novelty that's cool for a while, but in the end really not much... At least you can play online with it, so there's actually a reason to play it, but I don't like how the modern day style was spun into it. Looks like I'd be frustrated as hell if I played that all the time. Not sure, we'll see. Might have a completely different feel while you're playing it.

They also talk a little about live the life in that video. Honestly, that's probably the make or break for me, along with any changes to Be A GM if there are any. Live the Life, especially the way they talked about it, seems really cool. But I'll say it again, I really want a trailer or something. Not sure I want it to be like this:

Zdeno Chara: Hello, NAME LASTNAME, would you like to go out to dinner?

A) Sure!
B) No, I'm too tired.
X) I would be absolutely honored to go out with someone like you.
Y) Go away, you jock.

A FAN APPROACHES AND ASKS FOR AN AUTOGRAPH
A) No
B) Sure

and so on... I think they'll do a big thing on that sometime soon. Has the potential to be really awesome, I really think they won't do that. ^ I've bought 10-13, after a break for a couple years. It's really been the same game with a couple of additions, aside from the skating in NHL 13, which when I play NHL 10-12 with my friends, was an awesome addition. I'll probably end up buying it, but the Be A Pro and hopefully some Be A GM changes will make a huge difference. They could probably implement the Live the Life technology into Be A GM.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Could have just saved a lot of effort and ported NHL 94 over, but hey, their game.

CP31

Jun 19, 2012
Welland, ON

Not sure if any of you have seen this... Wasn't posted.

IMHO it looks really underwhelming. Like Winter Classic mode, a novelty that's cool for a while, but in the end really not much... At least you can play online with it, so there's actually a reason to play it, but I don't like how the modern day style was spun into it. Looks like I'd be frustrated as hell if I played that all the time. Not sure, we'll see. Might have a completely different feel while you're playing it.

They also talk a little about live the life in that video. Honestly, that's probably the make or break for me, along with any changes to Be A GM if there are any. Live the Life, especially the way they talked about it, seems really cool. But I'll say it again, I really want a trailer or something. Not sure I want it to be like this:

and so on... I think they'll do a big thing on that sometime soon. Has the potential to be really awesome, I really think they won't do that. ^ I've bought 10-13, after a break for a couple years. It's really been the same game with a couple of additions, aside from the skating in NHL 13, which when I play NHL 10-12 with my friends, was an awesome addition. I'll probably end up buying it, but the Be A Pro and hopefully some Be A GM changes will make a huge difference. They could probably implement the Live the Life technology into Be A GM.
When do they talk about live the life? Don't feel like watching the whole video.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
any word if the simulation will still take forever in Be a GM mode on the PS3 again?

Probably. It would likely include a hefty re-architecture of the sim engine to make it run any quicker on current-gen hardware. That's time that would be better spent working on next-gen code given that this is likely to be the last iteration on this platform. I'd anticipate that any future releases for PS3/360 will be re-hashes of the current game, should they bother to release any new software at all.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Judging from what we've seen in the gameplay, the hitting still looks (and I'm sure feels) like crap. I do like what they've done with the fighting though.

Last edited:

Green Blob*

Judging from what we've seen in the gameplay, the hitting still looks (and I'm sure feels) like crap. I do like what they've done with the fighting though.

Ya the fighting looks REALLY fun for the first time in....hmm forever!

McSkittlez

Jumbo Trollton
Jul 19, 2010
San Jose
Looks the same besides the fighting engine which IMO was a complete waste of time for them to make. Now can we just hear more about BAGM. If its not playable on the PS3 which wouldn't surprise me one bit, I will question myself if I should buy this. And it sucks because this is the only hockey game out there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Looks the same besides the fighting engine which IMO was a complete waste of time for them to make. Now can we just hear more about BAGM. If its not playable on the PS3 which wouldn't surprise me one bit, I will question myself if I should buy this. And it sucks because this is the only hockey game out there.

You'll buy it Skit...you will because otherwise we're screwed. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad