** NHL 14 Thread **

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
"Take people's money?"

No one is forcing anyone to buy the game. If you don't think the game has improved enough, don't buy it.

Clearly millions of people think enough has changed to justify a further $60 purchase each year.

The self righteousness some people have over this game is pretty bizarre.

by take people's money i meant accept it, not steal it. the very act of putting half-assed poo out and taking people's money is typical EA.

i havent bought the game in 2 years. ive played each of the last 2 years at a friends house and decided it was not worth it. i may buy this year idk.

sports games being a scam is pretty known. theyre regarded as laughable in most gaming communities. they're similar to cod in most people's views. if you think theyre busting their ***** trying to fix everything and make a groundbreaking product year after year you're naive. the very fact that people buy it every year is probably the reason they dont make significant improvements. there is no incentive.

ki11joy

Aug 28, 2007
I was going to not say that and try to be positive, but yeah. I don't know many people who ever said, "Hey, can we have a less deep GM mode?" so it's sort of puzzling why that ever flew (removing solid features).

Yeah it's nice that it's back in and could add a new layer of complexity to the game. But it's maddening how EA will take out features and put them back in down the line, trumpeting it like it's a brand new thing. And it's annoying because EA has a history of doing this. Remember players losing their helmets and sticks recently re-introduced in current gen games? Or goalie fights? Or Season and Tournament mode? Even better is when they'll take ideas from the NHL 2K series, like right analog stick control from 2k4's skills competition, or the 360 degree defensive stick from 2k5 (which still sucks in EA's game). Hell, they didn't even add in a proper "dump puck" feature until NHL 09, which goes as far back as NHL 2k3.

201_nftr_hot_cold_streaks2.jpg

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
by take people's money i meant accept it, not steal it. the very act of putting half-assed poo out and taking people's money is typical EA.

i havent bought the game in 2 years. ive played each of the last 2 years at a friends house and decided it was not worth it. i may buy this year idk.

sports games being a scam is pretty known. theyre regarded as laughable in most gaming communities. they're similar to cod in most people's views. if you think theyre busting their ***** trying to fix everything and make a groundbreaking product year after year you're naive. the very fact that people buy it every year is probably the reason they dont make significant improvements. there is no incentive.

EA makes video games to make money, not to please hardcore fans like you or me. They're not going to spend more money than necessary to elicit the same profit. Video games are a business medium, not a one-sided self gratification medium.

And the developers are definitely busting their butt to make each new game. Your issue is with EA's upper management, who decides how much money/staff to allocate the NHL franchise.

And finally, if you want to call out an EA franchise, it should definitely be Madden, not NHL.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
The general problem with NHL games not changing enough is simply the lack of competition. FIFA was terrible for years until they decided to steal a whole slew of things from Pro Evo (including its entire control system) and tweak them/make them better. No competition essentially means EA can do what they please.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I seem to recall that information was going to be released on the 25th of July. Was that hot / cold streaks the information that we're getting?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
EA makes video games to make money, not to please hardcore fans like you or me. They're not going to spend more money than necessary to elicit the same profit. Video games are a business medium, not a one-sided self gratification medium.

And the developers are definitely busting their butt to make each new game. Your issue is with EA's upper management, who decides how much money/staff to allocate the NHL franchise.

And finally, if you want to call out an EA franchise, it should definitely be Madden, not NHL.

Definitely true about madden. I don't hate nhl games I've had a lot of fun with them over the years. Obviously game companies are out to make money, but look at rockstargames with gta. They take their time and put out games that are new and groundbreaking. That's why everyone loves rockstar. Nhl 14 does look like they've made some improvements and I may buy this year, but everything they've done over the past 2-3 years could've easily been implemented in one year.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I seem to recall that information was going to be released on the 25th of July. Was that hot / cold streaks the information that we're getting?

Yep. Looks like thats it for now.

Small change but it's good in the long run. At this point those are the best updates for the games, rather than huge changes that take a lot of time and are dead by the week after release. (Winter Classic, Legends, hopefully not NHL94...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad