NHL 13 Wishlists Thread

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Don't expect a ton of additions to NHL 13. One big thing and a bunch of refinements are coming.

Prep work has already begun on NHL 14 for the next Xbox and Wii-U

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Hits from behind in club need to be more accurate. If its from behind, kick them out of the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a one-game suspension (club only) for a player delivering a hit from behind. Would make players play smarter hockey.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
On the subject of trade negotiations, it would be nice to be able to offer a player around the league and get offers from teams that are interested.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
At this point I don't care what they do as long as they fix the freezing. It's unplayable.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Be a GM:

Let me extend a player mid-season
I want to see players ask for trades

Be a Pro:
I'm kind of tired of being a 80 overall or less and scoring 60/70 points, and being offered a contract of less then a million bucks. Pay me for how I perform, not what my rate is.

Once I sign with a team, I'm stuck with it, what if I don't like how they're doing, or I don't like how I'm being used, why can't I ask for a trade?

Can I get like an ownership mode? I'd be amazing if I could hire GMs and coaches and stuff. MLB is pretty cool with those perks. Fluctuating attendance and stuff would be epic.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Also I should add to my list

Please, Please have an untouchables list, I get terrible offers for my best players all the time

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
1) Real authentic announcers for each team (the ones that each team uses locally). So that's 60 announcers (1 pbp, 1 color for each team) plus one NBC crew.

2) Authentic TV presentation. Fox Sports, Comcast Sports, NBC Sports, TSN, Rogers, CBC HNIC

3) Real PA announcers for each team.

4) Celebrity national anthem singers before each game

5) Owner mode. You're in charge of all the revenue: ticket sales, concession, merchandise, parking lot, arena lease.

6) Authentic NHL Draft presentation. Venue changes every year.

7) HBO 24/7 for the Be a GM mode if your team is playing at the Winter Classic

8) Players can be mic'd up so you can hear their voice in games, with authentic voices of the players.

9) Ceremonial puck drops

10) Intermission entertainment even if it means Drake is in it

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Suspensions, realistic hip checks, Demand a trade in be-a-pro, prospects not named Nugent Hopkins to have some trade value, better goal celebrations, 2 person checks, more than 2 female faces, less tape to tape passes, more deking options, be a ref mode (Yeah that'd be boss), coaches in be a GM, chemistry stats in Be-a-GM.

hahaha yeah that system blows. im doing be a gm with the sabres and traded brad boyes for mikael granlund and a 2nd round pick. i also hate how, unlike in 2k, it doesn't give you a meter of how fair/realistic each side thinks the deal is and won't give you an option of, "are you sure you want to make this trade."

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Also I should add to my list

Please, Please have an untouchables list, I get terrible offers for my best players all the time

I remember them having that in NHL 09.

I'd like for Be a Pro to have the ability to not sign a contract. I mean, I just got drafted first overall by the Coyotes. I don't wanna play there, let me not sign the contract. :laugh:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I remember them having that in NHL 09.

I'd like for Be a Pro to have the ability to not sign a contract. I mean, I just got drafted first overall by the Coyotes. I don't wanna play there, let me not sign the contract. :laugh:

Same thing happened with me. I'm doing fine, but we collectively are terrible. Finished about 15 points out of a playoff spot.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Oh and after NHL 12's colossal and constant problems, I hope to god EA doesn't plan on charging $60 for NHL 13.

Not paying another buttload of cash for a product that does nothing but constantly lag and freeze.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Oh and after NHL 12's colossal and constant problems, I hope to god EA doesn't plan on charging $60 for NHL 13.

Not paying another buttload of cash for a product that does nothing but constantly lag and freeze.

Why don't I have these same problems, ever?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They should take a page out of 2K's NBA series.
I play it a lot because it's more realistic and I find it fun.

For example:
- fire/hire coaches, as well extend assistants, NHL scouts, prospect scouts, trainers etc (In 2k each team has a 10M budget for staff, so you have to use it wisely)
- include clauses, players should get NTC's, player options and stuff like that.
- "re-sign meter", in 2K theres a meter of how much interest a player wants to sign with you. For example if a FA wants 4M, I can lower it to 3 but add a NTC, more year etc to make him more inclined to sign with me.
- TRADE Finder. Basically, I click on Seguin and it shows what teams would give for him most offers are realistic, it works the other way too, I can ask what they want for lets says Ovechkin, except if the player is really good (like him, Crosby, Weber etc) and you have almost no assets (Coyotes) then they will say no offers.
- training camps. In 2K you get reward points during the season for stuff like "have 5-10-15 etc game winning streak" or "Win the MVP/ coach of the year.", you get to use these reward points to raise a players offensive skill, potential, increase everyone on your teams shooting etc.
- suspensions,. If my player gets injured for 2 months by someone, they need to be punished. (not in 2k ince Basketball isn't as physical)
- resign players midseason, I'd rather get a contract done early then wait until June.
- players can test free agency. If you finish bottom 5, a vet should be able to say he doesn't wanna return, or maybe a player thinks they can get mpore value in FA.
- requesting trades in BeaGm. If you play a good player on the third line then they should have the option of requesting a trade.
- Sim faster, in 2k you can sim a whole season in 10 mins or less, they have auto save as well, plus NBA games have more "action" (more scoring)
- NHL today, NBA today updates everytime you go on and if you do play now, you play with current injuries.
-It also does cool stuff like show current standings in between quarters and stats. (Lets say Kessel just scored, they would be like "and thats his 5th goal in four games, him and Lupul have been doing great)
- Id like new aannoucners but maybe not for every team. I'd be fine with choosing between, NBC, versus, TSN and HNIC.
- ALSO add retired jerseys. Like I mean you can retire a players Jersey, Sundin deserve shim to be, as well as Iggy when he retires. (Not in 2K)
- Legendary teams. much like 2K. instead of one "legends team" that only has like 8 of them, make 15 legendary teams. Teams like two of the 80's oilers, the 70's and 50' Canadiens, the 60s leafs, the 90's Wings, Pens, Avs and Devils. ETC

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I like most of those ideas.

Honestly, just rip off NBA2k12 and Madden's owner mode and you've got a much, much better product.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I want them to improve the goalies, because to this day, NHL hits 2003 STILL has better goalies than EA in 12.

MAKE THE GOALIES dynamic.

Hurricane Hugo

Jun 11, 2010
South Carolina
I've been collecting these ideas for a while, so bear with me here...

REGULAR GAMEPLAY:
- New announcers: While I love Gary Thorne and Bill Clement as the EA Announcers, it appears the only way we're going to get new play-by-play is by getting new guys althogether. May I suggest "Doc" Emerick and Eddie Olzyck? An affiliation with NBC Sports (sort of like what 2K did with ESPN back in the day) would be great. Speaking of which...

- NBC Sports Presentation: One thing that hurts the realisim of the game is the sub-par presentation. It's supposed to feel like you're watching a television broadcast, but the EA series falls short of that. Why not try to affiliate with NBC Sports? Have "Doc" Emerick and Eddie Olzyck do the play-by-play. Have Pierre McGuire reporting from inside the glass. Have realistic "intermission reports" (similar to the way 2K used to do theirs) with Keith Jones. Use NBC's graphics and try to replicate the television watching experience as closely as possible. A releastic presentation is the most major step in giving the game an authentic feel.

- More officials: As you might've noticed, there's only one ref/linesman on the ice at all times in EA games. It would be nice to have the standard three officials on ice, as well as an actual official in the area between (and in) the penalty boxes, rather than the wax statue that's occupied it the last few years.

- Authentic goalie masks: Way back when, EA used to have exact replicas of the goaltender's masks in the game. Nowadays, it appears the only goalie that has an authentic mask is Roberto Luongo. It would be awesome to see the goaltenders wearing their actual masks instead of wearing masks designed poorly by EA.

- Revamp the menus: Since NHL 08, the main menu and menus stemming from it have been almost exactly the same, immediatly making you think you've just bought the exact same game.

- "All-Time Teams" for each franchise: 2K's old games gave me this idea. Do what you did with the Habs a few years back and introuduce a historical team for each franchise. For instance, bring back Bobby Orr and Ray Bourque for the Bruins, or Eric Lindros and Bobby Clarke (haha) for the Flyers. Or Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita for the Blackhawks. Take the best players from each franchise's past and make a whole team for them. Hell, even have them wear the team's vintage jerseys. This would be epic on so many levels. But if they're going to do it, they better not half-ass it like they did with this year's Legends mode. Gah!

- Playoff beards: Enough said. The playoffs aren't the playoffs without them.

- New Arena Models: Let's face it, 2K blew EA out of the water in this respect. Their arenas were authentic as you could believe. EA just... well, EA sucks at this. Very few of the arenas even look like what they do in real life. Every arena has it's own atomsphere, it's own feel. But in these games, every single one feels exactly the same.

- Authentic fans: Every five fans in the stands look the same and do the same thing in these games. We all know us hockey fans are all insane in our own way. Make us look like it!

- Realistic bench: They finally un-froze the head coaches this year, which is good. But the coach isn't the only guy on the bench. Have assistant coaches giving advice to the players and the head coach. Have equipment managers running back and forth from the locker room to get new equipment as necissary.

Well that took longer than expected. Moving on...

BE A PRO:
- Authentic draft: Be able to attend your Draft. Watch anxiously from the stands as teams walk up to the podium and draft players. Make the long walk to center stage when they call your name and shake hands with your new team's management. Pose for photographs as you put on your jersey for the first time.

- Actual discussion with coach: Rather than a written list, have the coach actually talk to you after your shift is done and give you pointers and tips. After the period, head back to the locker room where your coach will discuss the team's performance so far and give his advice on what to do for the remainder of the game. In the current game, you might as well not have a coach at all.

- Suspensions and serious injuries: You shouldn't be able to cheapshot a guy and just get a five minute slap on the wrist (especially with the Shannahammer always looming). Pay the price for illegal plays by having to sit out a certain amont of games. Also, you should be able to recieve a serious injury every now and again (such as a concussion) which forces you to sit out for long amounts of time.

- Awards ceremony: Be able to attend the NHL Awards every year, regardless of whether or not you've won anything. If you've won an award, be able to walk up to the stage and accept it.

- Pre-game warmups: Be able to prepare yourself for games by joining the team for a warm-up before the game. Have your coach run you through various drills and scrimmages, while also explaining the tactics that will be used in the upcoming game and who will be playing against who.

- Stanley Cup celebrations: When you win the Cup, you should actually feel like you won it. Graciously accept the Cup from a fellow teammate and skate around the ice while the fans chant your name!

- Recognition from the fans: If fans love you (or can't stand you), let them show it! Fans can hold up signs supporting (or bashing) you during stoppages and cheer (or jeer) you on when you possess the puck.

- Authentic agents: Be able to hire your own agent. Start out with a fairly average agent and work your way up to a true professional. Hire one based on your own preference or just someone you can see yourself trusting. Also be able to pay him a visit from time to time and discuss what's on your mind, such as contract negotiations or trade rumors involving you.

- No-trade clauses: If you're a member of a team you're truly devoted to, be able to negotiate an NTC to ensure that, if moved, you only go to a team you're interested in joining.

- Trade rumors: We all know real NHL players get tired of hearing their names thrown around in the trade rumors, why shouldn't us pretend players get it too? If your performance is sub-par or your contract is nearly up, have discussion of your imminent move swirling across the hockey world.

- Injury evaluations: If you've been injured, you should be required to pay a visit to the team trainer after the game. Have him diagnose your injury and tell you the necesarry steps to heal it. Heck, even have rehab dates set up to ensure a full recovery.

- NHL Highlight Show: Have the ability to watch a highlight show after every night of NHL action, which shows the biggest plays of the night with commentary from, I dunno, maybe the NHL Overtime crew? It'd be cool to see one of your plays become one of the night's best.

- Authentic training camp: Go through the grusome process of preparing for the season ahead.

BE A GM:
- Authentic draft: Same as above, except from a management standpoint. Stand at the podium and announce your team's draft selection, and shake the hand of your newest top prospect. Then, head down to the draft floor for rounds two through seven the next day and announce your selections from there.

- Choose your personnel: Don't like your team's coach? Fire him! Have the option to revamp your coaching, scouting, and training staff as you please and truly have full control of your team's management.

- Press conferences: Have the option to set up press conferences after you've made a big trade or signing. Meet and introduce your new player(s) to the media and give them the ability to express their happiness (or dismay) about joining your organization.

- Authentic scouting trips: Don't just take your scout's word for it. If you've got interest in a player, take a trip out to see him play and do your own little bit of scouting. Also be able to view how a player is doing statistically in the juniors.

- Coach interaction: Have a weekly meeting with your head coach and discuss how he feels your players are doing, and what he feels needs to be done to make your team the best in the world.

- Show teams in stats menu: Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to see the team the player played for in a season in the statistics menu.

- Season contract negotiations: It's a pain in the behind only being able to negotiate contracts right before July 1st. It's just not enough time. Have the ability to begin negotiating new contracts at the beginning of the season.

- Player mood/trade requests: Be able to view how your team's players are feeling at the present time. If a player's mood is down in the dumps long enough, and he's unhappy with the team's situation, he'll have the ability to request a trade and/or refuse to negotiate a new contract.

- Transaction history: Have a list of the player's transaction history (including trades, signings, and assignments) in his statistics menu.

- NHL News ticker: I seem to remember 2K having something like this. At the bottom of the screen, have an NBC Sports-like ticker showing what's happening around the league in your game. Trades, scores, rumors, and everything else.

- Revamp the player value: Player value is pretty messed up in the present game. I think we can all agree that it's far too easy to rip off a team in this game.

- Specific player inquiries: Have the ability to send an inquiry on a player to another team. Also send out a league-wide inquiry on one of your own players to see what you can get.

My suggestion? Take a year off and completely revamp the game from top to bottom. I'm willing to wait. I'd gladly pay more than $60 for a game with the features mentioned above.

I might edit this later with more ideas if I think of some.

Billy Mays Here*

A HUT mode that doesn't have a new problem less than 5 minutes after the previous one is patched, which usually takes a couple weeks.

EA sucks!!!

scythe

Feb 1, 2012
Canada
As much as I like the EA games the past few years they're starting to feel eerily similar. I'd like to see the presentation revamped a little.

- Anybody remember how the early EA games back on the Genesis and SNES would allow you to access highlights from other games around the league that night between periods and at the end of the game. You could watch the game winning or game tying goals from all the other games around the league. I miss that so much. Even if they were just canned sequences they still made me feel like I was part of the league as a whole and made it feel more dynamic. Its fun to see how other teams are doing and those highlights added so much to the presentation to me.

- I'd also like to see some sort of Player of the Week or Player of the Month awards. Would give you a little something more to shoot for as you grind your way through a season.

- Anybody remember how Madden at one time had a post week wrap up show with audio that would recap the big happenings in the league that week. Something like that for NHL would be awesome. One of my biggest gripes is that playing or simming through a season feels lifeless as there's no feeling of the dynamics of the league. This would spruce things up and make the season a little more dynamic.

-make the post whistle scrums more realistic. In the original NHL game for the Genesis as well as '93 if you hit a guy after the whistle or the horn a fight would break out immediately as it would in real life. In the current games you can hit a guy over and over and nothing happens. That pulls me right out of the experience and reminds me "oh this is just a game."

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
As far as presentation goes:

1. There needs to be realistic scrums in front of the net. Facewashes and entire crowds of players in a bunch in front of the net or around the rink.
2. Fighting that is a part of the main gameplay, rather than a sideshow. It would be nice to be able to get a replay of the fight and show the players around them watching.
3. Accurate number of referees. Simple concept.
4. Goal celebrations a part of the main gameplay, rather than a cutscene. Would make it much more realistic.
5. More realistic goal celebrations between teammates. Show them hugging and tapping each other on the head.
6. Realistic hitting. A stand up check should show the player topple backward like normal, instead of their legs falling underneath them and collapsing haphazardly. Hipchecks are probably the worst at this.
7. New between play cutscenes. More realistic to the actual game.
8. Show highlights of other things other than freaking hitting. Blocked shots, saves, shots, passes to goals?

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
Why can't I have an actual beard or a Parros like mustache? They instead give you a 15 year old pubescent scraggly one instead. Also fix the value of players in be a GM. Sure Zherdev and Frolov have had good seasons before, but if they can't keep up, make they're value drop. Maybe even do another value alongside offense, defense, and athleticsm.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I would just like them to fix the god damn freezing. It's Pejorative Slured the way it freezes every other game.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Am I the only one that would like the All Star weekend in this?

- Team captains. Take the two captains from each team in the previous season's Stanley Cup Finals.

- Incorporate the current draft format into it, not just set teams. Not like it's difficult, just take the 'fantasy draft' and apply it there.

- Skills competition. Hardest shot, accuracy shooting, etc.. ESPN NHL Hockey had it, and that was back in '03.

I like the idea of during the draft, at least the first round, the draftee walks up to the stage and puts his jersey on. It might be interesting if every once in a while the player refuses the jersey and demands a trade. They could make it an achievement/trophy and called it Lindr-obbed.. or something along those lines.

I'd like better scouting, not just picking a league/position/length and waiting. Maybe you could choose a specific team and spectate their games, that way you could get a better handle on how each player plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad