NFL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - ISOLATED PHASE! Part One!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Congrats! We closed in December on our new house. Prices have gone up so much since then, in just a few months, that there's no way we could afford it if it was on the market now. The housing market in every notable metro area in North America is absolutely bonkers.

It is insanity. The spike on our house outpaces the spike on most others so we feel we've gotta use it. We had to go well over market value, but we figure we won't need another house.

Market is insanity.

When I went to closing on our 2nd house, I literally was so stressed about it that my vision became blurred. We were the only people to even see the house and paid asking. Signing papers was a bitch. That was over 15 years ago now and we sold it about 7 years ago and did pretty well out of it.

Yeah, my parents decided to let me use a chunk of inheritance early. But it's still charity, and accepting this much charity gives me panic attacks.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Congrats! Where do I send the de-stress liquor? Just write @Beef Invictus in sharpie, slap some stamps on it, and let Jesus take the wheel?

That will work, I'm sure.

I thought we were done moving. This has lead to weekly discussions where she sends me houses, asks me what I think, and I start rants that make absolutely no sense but change the subject. I’m hanging off a cliff with two fingers. Buying just seems impossibly competitive.

We needed to upgrade out of our home. If you have no need to I recommend against. It's all pain.

I’m lost here. You sent an offer on a house well overvalue and plan to die in it or someone gave you an offer on the house over value and you don’t want to sell?

I bought overvalue. Someone will also buy our current house overvalue.

OK I am working on a pick

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
This happened this week in BC. A house in Tofino sold for $1M OVER ASKING PRICE. Tofino is a coastal town on Vancouver Island that is known as being the best place to surf in Canada, which has decidedly few spots worthy of surfing.

It's a popular tourist spot, but that sale is insane. Listed for $1.4M, sold for $2.4M. A lot of over asking price sales by hundreds of thousands in the Greater Vancouver area, but nothing like going for almost twice the asking price. :shakehead :amazed:

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
That will work, I'm sure.

We needed to upgrade out of our home. If you have no need to I recommend against. It's all pain.

I bought overvalue. Someone will also buy our current house overvalue.

OK I am working on a pick
Good for you dude. I hope you never run into any typical homeowner problems. Everything and it’s mother is overvalued atm. I’m sort of surprised you didn’t get sniped from someone that offered 20k over value and without an inspection. That seems to be the going trend right now.
NEVER waive your inspection no matter how much you live the house.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
This happened this week in BC. A house in Tofino sold for $1M OVER ASKING PRICE. Tofino is a coastal town on Vancouver Island that is known as being the best place to surf in Canada, which had decidedly few spots worthy of surfing.

It's a popular tourist spot, but that sale is insane. Listed for $1.4M, sold for $2.4M. A lot of over asking price sales by hundreds of thousands in the Greater Vancouver area, but nothing like going for almost twice the asking price. :shakehead :amazed:
I hope those people bought the house “next door “

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bumpass Meat select:

gettyimages-1086084670.jpg

Calais Campbell (D Flex)

I finally have a Raven. He's good at footballing, and is actually a Flexer, as you can see in that picture and also because he's floated on the d line over his career. Since I have no idea what the ass I'm doing with my D, gimme that flexibility.

@Young Sandwich

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Good for you dude. I hope you never run into any typical homeowner problems. Everything and it’s mother is overvalued atm. I’m sort of surprised you didn’t get sniped from someone that offered 20k over value and without an inspection. That seems to be the going trend right now.
NEVER waive your inspection no matter how much you live the house.

You cannot buy a house in this area without waiving inspection. We will have someone come in anyway so we can know.

It last sold in 2017 so presumably it was inspected then, and the owner overhauled the thing in that time. I am gambling like hell on this. I hate it. But it is what it is.

A house we bid on has a 27 year old polybutylene service line. People waived inspection and bought it with half a million in cash. I made a point of checking the line when we toured the place. I'll warn the new people when they move in.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
You cannot buy a house in this area without waiving inspection. We will have someone come in anyway so we can know.

It last sold in 2017 so presumably it was inspected then, and the owner overhauled the thing in that time. I am gambling like hell on this. I hate it. But it is what it is.

A house we bid on has a 27 year old polybutylene service line. People waived inspection and bought it with half a million in cash. I made a point of checking the line when we toured the place. I'll warn the new people when they move in.
I’m sorry that’s crazy. I’d rather rent than buy a home without an inspection. You’re literally waiving protection from a $20 fix or a $20k fix and then some. f*** that noise. I wish you the best of luck there bud, I really do.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m sorry that’s crazy. I’d rather rent than buy a home without an inspection. You’re literally waiving protection from a $20 fix or a $20k fix and then some. f*** that noise. I wish you the best of luck there bud, I really do.

Yep. We sure f***ing are.

Part of why we are doing this house is it's in our current development so we have a handle on build quality, it was all built at the same time by the same people. The only issues all the neighbors I've talked to have had are related to sump pumps dying and their shit water line inevitably failing.

With that and the recent sale of the house four years ago (including inspection) we feel as good as we can about it.

We looked at a house with the same layout down the street that was not kept up well and was totally unupdated. They wanted everyone to waive inspection. We bailed. The risk in that case was astronomical. The windows were original with wood frames that were rotting so severely I half expect one to fall out of the house if you open it. The gas fireplace was so beaten to shit inside and out that it looked like an explosion in the making. I looked long and hard at the deck because structurally urgent screws were bent in their braces or had their heads sheered off. Used my phone as a level and discovered it was separating from the house.

Someone bought that house a couple days ago, too. A week after we were in it.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Depending on the market you're in, listing any subjects might mean you're SOL.

We bought during a quiet period, and the house we bought is ~40 years old, so I would not have been comfortable making a purchase without an inspection, but the market is hot again and homes are selling within days of listing without any subjects, including inspections.

It's insanity.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
We're taking the NFL's best punter. Not only does he hit bombs (holds the record for longest punt in Super Bowl history), he plays the finesse game as good as anyone and does it all with some serious moxie and a child-like love for the game. His teammates all love him too, so you know he's not just an ordinary punter.

Punter - Johnny Hekker

@Chuck Downie

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Re: Housing market

I have heard a few times that pretty soon Canadians won't be able to afford to live in Canada. I feel for anyone getting into it today, no matter where you live in NA.

My understanding of Canadian geography and population is very shabby, but at a glance it looks to me like an expensive housing market hits a much bigger proportion of the Canadian population than it does the US population.

I could be totally wrong. Markets here are crazy enough that both populations are screwed.

I would not be able to buy a first home in these conditions. I can only get a new home because I have an overvalued house to sell.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
My understanding of Canadian geography and population is very shabby, but at a glance it looks to me like an expensive housing market hits a much bigger proportion of the Canadian population than it does the US population.

I could be totally wrong. Markets here are crazy enough that both populations are screwed.

I would not be able to buy a first home in these conditions. I can only get a new home because I have an overvalued house to sell.

I know that people are leaving the cities for the outskirts or small neighbouring towns to escape covid. This has made markets that have never seen a boom become so hot that you can sell but if you want another home, you will likely be in a bidding war.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know that people are leaving the cities for the outskirts or small neighbouring towns to escape covid. This has made markets that have never seen a boom become so hot that you can sell but if you want another home, you will likely be in a bidding war.

In addition to that inventory has been low. First because people didn't want to let strangers roam their house to sell, now because buying is a huge problem.

If you have to sell first in order to buy then two or three months rent back won't cover it

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
In addition to that inventory has been low. First because people didn't want to let strangers roam their house to sell, now because buying is a huge problem.

If you have to sell first in order to buy then two or three months rent back won't cover it

That sums it up pretty good.

Building materials are more expensive than ever too. Saw mills are seeing a boom in Canada due to contractors trying to cut costs.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
It's one of the reasons that I would love to downsize. I found several properties in an area we would find pleasant to live in that are slightly smaller than our current home, on large wooded parcels, and are listed at 1/2 to 1/3 of what we paid for ours that have been sitting on the market - so no real risk of a bidding war. If we just got back what we paid, we'd be fairly well ahead after paying off the mortgage and taking a mortgage with a total payment - including taxes and insurance - of about what I am currently paying for my car. But, as I mentioned before, the job market is completely different. While we wouldn't need to make nearly as much, there just seems to be a general lack of non-minimum wage work to be had. Even so, I'm wondering if it can work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad