Next Year (21/22) : Lines/Roster Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think I am now leaning towards a Zach Hyman deal this off season to improve our offense. Then instead of Dougie Hamilton at $7M for 7 years, I go with one older guy on shorter contract and one solid guy at a low end contract. We have some good young players coming up and some current players who will need to be re-upped, so looking at current and long term issues. So here is my plan:

1. Zach Hyman- 5 years @ $5.25 per (ending with him being 34)- wanted 4@$5.5 but don't think that will get it done.
2. Alec Martinez- 2 years @ $7M ($4M first year and $3M next)
3. Derek Forbort- 1 year @ $1.5M
4. Jaroslav Halak- 1 year @ $2.25M

Svech gets picked by Seattle instead of Namestnikov. DDK, we buy out.

2022 Lineup

Vrana/Larkin/Zadina
Berggren/Hayman/Bertuzzi
Fabbri/Ras/Panik
Erne/Namestnikov/Smith
(Veleno/Raymond/Hirose/Grewe/Verbeek/Pearson- waiting at GR)

Martinez/Seider
Forbort/Hronek
Cholowski/Stecher
(Djoos/Lindstrom/McIsaac/Sebrango/Holway in GR)

I would stay far far away from Hyman with a contract like that.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Let's continue Larkin Zadina experiment, and give him some one good
Fabbri- Larkin-Zadina
Vrana-Namestnikov -Bertuzzi
Bergreen and Raymond had already connection, just missing size and power
Bergreen- Rasmussen- Raymond
Some said Veleno is 4 line center, fine
Pearson-Veleno- Svechnikov
Glendening should be traded , 4&7, I guess. He is kind like Cleary or Aby, players who should retire in early 30 ies .
If we sign Rayan again ,slide him on Raymond place, until he gets traded

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Hmm I hope we end up with a situation like:
Opening night:
Zadina- Larkin- Vrana
Berggren- Fabbri- Bert
Names- Moose- Svech
Smith- LGD- Erne

DK- Hronek
Merrill- Seider
Whoever

Finale:
Zadina- Larkin- Vrana
Berggren- Fabbri- Bert
Veleno- Moose- Raymond
Smith- Names- Erne

Merrill-Seider
Dk-Hronek
Whoever

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I'm really curious to see what happens with bertuzzi. What an enigma this situation is.

Arbitration last year, came out dominating this year but went out with some mysterious injury. Larkin isn't the same without him... Does Bert elevate Larkin that much? Can he argue he is that valuable? Likely not given his mysterious injury causing him to miss so much time

Another 1 year deal?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't want any more of Larkin-Zadina. I don't think their games have much rhythm.

Zadina's points/60 with Larkin is 0.6
That's below Drew Miller levels.
He's better, if not by little, by far, with virtually every other forward on the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't want any more of Larkin-Zadina. I don't think their games have much rhythm.

Zadina's points/60 with Larkin is 0.6
That's below Drew Miller levels.
He's better, if not by little, by far, with virtually every other forward on the team.

Yep

That Vrana - Rasmussen - Zadina gelled much better.

Fabbri - Larkin - Bertuzzi should be another Top6 line, when guys are healthy again.

Reactions: lilidk and Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm really curious to see what happens with bertuzzi. What an enigma this situation is.

Arbitration last year, came out dominating this year but went out with some mysterious injury. Larkin isn't the same without him... Does Bert elevate Larkin that much? Can he argue he is that valuable? Likely not given his mysterious injury causing him to miss so much time

Another 1 year deal?

Bert is insanely valuable but, as you say, the injury is going to limit what he can ask for in a big way. This might sound weird but he's the closest thing we have to Holmstrom - a really smart guy who uses his IQ to make up for some less than stellar physical gifts. I'm not saying he's not skilled, but his ability to know where to go, when to go there, and what to do when he's there elevates his abilities above what another player would get out of them.

really hope to see him in the lineup next year.

Reactions: Shultzyfeelinirie25

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Bert is insanely valuable but, as you say, the injury is going to limit what he can ask for in a big way. This might sound weird but he's the closest thing we have to Holmstrom - a really smart guy who uses his IQ to make up for some less than stellar physical gifts. I'm not saying he's not skilled, but his ability to know where to go, when to go there, and what to do when he's there elevates his abilities above what another player would get out of them.

And he is faster than Homer also

Reactions: Winger98

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

This will be the second year in a row where Bertuzzi doesnt get what he probably wants. Last year he went to arbitration because of it. This year it will be due to injury. Hope we can keep him happy so he sticks around!

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yep

That Vrana - Rasmussen - Zadina gelled much better.

Fabbri - Larkin - Bertuzzi should be another Top6 line, when guys are healthy again.

Vrana-Ras-Zadina
Bert-Larkin-Raymond
Fabbri-namestnikov-Bergrren
Smith-Pearson-Erne

Oleksiak-Seider
Cholo-Hronek
Dekeyser-Stecher
Lindstrom

Our blueline is still a work in progress but we're seeing it come together more up front.

Reactions: lilidk

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Vrana - Ras - Zadina would be a terrible first line to watch all of next season. Woof.

Vrana isn't a first liner to me, dude will get torched. He can score goals.

Honestly I see a lot of AA in Vrana, definitely a better player, but similar imo. Great on the breakaway and has a nasty 1 timer in space, Vrana's wrister is on another tier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Vrana - Ras - Zadina would be a terrible first line to watch all of next season. Woof.

Honestly I see a lot of AA in Vrana, definitely a better player, but similar imo. Great on the breakaway and has a nasty 1 timer in space, Vrana's wrister is on another tier.

So put them second or third on the list. I was more trying to make the point that we have a top9 that might actually look and act more like a top9 next year, and I think that fourth line could be an nasty line for teams to go against every night. I figure the biggest question mark is if/which of the swedish kids is actually on the team next year.

Reactions: lilidk and Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So put them second or third on the list. I was more trying to make the point that we have a top9 that might actually look and act more like a top9 next year, and I think that fourth line could be an nasty line for teams to go against every night. I figure the biggest question mark is if/which of the swedish kids is actually on the team next year.
Okay for sure.

You don't think we're bringing Glendening back? Any reason why - do you see it as Luke or Stevie being the reason?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Okay for sure.

You don't think we're bringing Glendening back? Any reason why - do you see it as Luke or Stevie being the reason?
Glendening best in his past . Let him win cup with someone else. Get 3rd for him, best scenario

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Okay for sure.

Just general pessimism :DD

Luke's 31, he's been here a long time and played on a lot of bad teams. I don't know if he'll get paid a lot more to go elsewhere, but I think he's going to be looking to go somewhere he feels he can win at. Now, if none of the "right" teams come calling, I think he'll be back. But I think winning is going to be important to him and he just doesn't have the time left in his career to do that here.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Why not let them be second line?
Bert-Larkin-Fabbri as line 1?

Let Veleno/Rasmussen/Nielsen rotate between Vrana/Zadina until you get some chemistry developing.

Vrana should take Zadina's spot on the PP with Zadina taking Larkin's and Larkin moving. Larking taking Gagner's spot.

I think Zadina is more playmaker than shooter.
Vrana can shoot.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Names2020-2021
Forwards
Larkin6.1
Neilsen5.25
Vrana5.7???
Bertuzzi4.25???
Zadina0.894
Fabbri2.95
Rasmussen1.3???
Erne1.5???
Panik2.75
Namestnikov2
Glendening1.5???
Gagner
Svechnikov
Filppula
Helm
Ryan
TOTAL34.194
Defense
DK5
Stetcher1.7
Staal
Djoos
Cholowski
Lindstrom
Hronek3.25???
Biega
TOTAL9.95
Goalies
Greiss3.6
Bernier4.2???
TOTAL7.8
Other:2.306
CAPHIT54.25
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Here is a spreadsheet I made of our known Salary Cap, with a few guesstimations (???) as to new salary levels. 54M cap hit. We likely do not NEED to sign any 5M players to reach the floor, so no worries there.

Using only my guesstimated salary signings that leaves us with: ((Im going to assume Nielsen is demoted to AHL for his last year)

Vrana-Larkin-Zadina
Fabbri-Rasmussen-XXX
Panik-Namestnikov-Erne
XXX-Glendening-XXX

DK-Hronek
Stetcher-XXX
XXX-XXX

Bernier
Greiss

(This list ignores Rookies like Raymond, Seider, Bergren)

With this as a BASIS of a Roster... How would you guys finish it?

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Why not let them be second line?
Bert-Larkin-Fabbri as line 1?

Let Veleno/Rasmussen/Nielsen rotate between Vrana/Zadina until you get some chemistry developing.

Vrana should take Zadina's spot on the PP with Zadina taking Larkin's and Larkin moving. Larking taking Gagner's spot.

I think Zadina is more playmaker than shooter.
Vrana can shoot.
still would rather have a righty in larkins spot. Hopefully that’s raymond. Then have zadina move to the bumper spot

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Names2020-2021
Forwards
Larkin6.1
Neilsen5.25
Vrana5.7???
Bertuzzi4.25???
Zadina0.894
Fabbri2.95
Rasmussen1.3???
Erne1.5???
Panik2.75
Namestnikov2
Glendening1.5???
Gagner
Svechnikov
Filppula
Helm
Ryan
TOTAL34.194
Defense
DK5
Stetcher1.7
Staal
Djoos
Cholowski
Lindstrom
Hronek3.25???
Biega
TOTAL9.95
Goalies
Greiss3.6
Bernier4.2???
TOTAL7.8
Other:2.306
CAPHIT54.25
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Here is a spreadsheet I made of our known Salary Cap, with a few guesstimations (???) as to new salary levels. 54M cap hit. We likely do not NEED to sign any 5M players to reach the floor, so no worries there.

Using only my guesstimated salary signings that leaves us with: ((Im going to assume Nielsen is demoted to AHL for his last year)

Vrana-Larkin-Zadina
Fabbri-Rasmussen-XXX
Panik-Namestnikov-Erne
XXX-Glendening-XXX

DK-Hronek
Stetcher-XXX
XXX-XXX

Bernier
Greiss

(This list ignores Rookies like Raymond, Seider, Bergren)

With this as a BASIS of a Roster... How would you guys finish it?

Boy $5,7M seems like a pretty penny for Vrana at this point.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
were in the midst of a developmental era . and during this time it is extremely valuable to have respected high hockey iq vets around to teach ,set the tone , and help build the new culture and personality of a team . and that is exactly , along with the usual yzerman freebie gift pick lmbo , why yzergod traded for old man staal . ive seen enough , this guys a **** stud classic old time hockey player . and i doubt he wants to hang around but im hoping yzerman offers him over payment to stick around for another year or two to teach seider , tuomisty , dodge serbrango , and power :naughty:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Boy $5,7M seems like a pretty penny for Vrana at this point.
I hoping 5.5 million is the most Yzerman will give up (4 years, 22 million)

Still seems high to me, though. But I think that's the contract he'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad