Next Year (21/22) : Lines/Roster Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1. Larkin, 6.1M (2023)
2. Vrana, 5.5M (RFA, extended, 5-year deal until 2026)
3. Bertuzzi, 5.0M (RFA, extended, 4-year deal until 2025)
4. Fabbri, 2.95M (2022)
5. Panik, 2.75M (2023)
6. Namestnikov, 2.0M (2022)
7. Rasmussen, 1.5M (RFA, extended, 2-year deal until 2023)
8. Svechnikov, 1.0M (RFA, extended, 1-year deal until 2022)
9. Zadina, 900k (2022)
---------------------cheking line
10. Glendening, 1.8M (UFA, extended, 2-year deal until 2023)
11. Adam Erne, 1.25M (RFA, extended, 2-year deal until 2023)
12. Givani Smith, 800k (RFA, extended, 2-year deal until 2023)
------------------------
13. bench vet, 1.0M (1-year deal)
14. Nielsen 5.25M
-------------------AHL options
15. Raymond, 925k
16. Veleno, 894k

Other:
Abdelkader buyout 2.3M

1. LD DeKeyser, 5.0M (2022)
2. RD Hronek, 4.5M (RFA, extended, 3-year deal until 2024)
3. LD Oleksiak, 3.75M (UFA, 4-year deal until 2025)
4. RD Stecher, 1.7M (2022)
5. LD Cholowski, 1.25M (RFA, extended, 2-year deal until 2023)
6. RD Seider, 894k (2024)
------------------------
7. LD Djoos, 1.0M (RFA, extended, 1-year deal until 2022)
8. RD Lindström, 800k (RFA, extended, 2-year deal until 2024)

1a. Greiss, 3.6M (2022)
1b. Bernier, 3.6M (UFA, extended, 3-year deal until 2024)

Same salary for goalies and make them as equal 50/50 tandem.

Think Dallas is gonna have difficulties to extend Jamie Oleksiak, when Heiskanen will need a new MEGA-deal. Yzerman likes to hoard big defencemen, and Oleksiak is exactly what we need. 6'7 defensive LhD, who could be opposite team nightmare when paired with Seider.

This team would be ~66M in caphits and ~15M in cap space.

And somebody lost on expansion.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I hoping 5.5 million is the most Yzerman will give up (4 years, 22 million)

Still seems high to me, though. But I think that's the contract he'll get.
He is 3.35 at this moment. I don't think it's going to be more than 4 for like 2 years

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He is 3.35 at this moment. I don't think it's going to be more than 4 for like 2 years
He signed a 2 year 3.35 million dollar deal coming off a 47 point season in Washington.

Over the past 2 seasons he 83 points in 113 games, that's .735 points per game or 60 points over 82 games.

He's not getting a qualifying offer, he's going to get a raise. Also, we'll be buying UFA years. Signing him to 2 years is a bad idea, welp looks like we're going to lose Vrana before we would've lost Mantha :laugh:

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Kinda expecting Vrana to get a 1-year contract, and then potentially get something longer next year. Won't be surprised if he signs a 4-year contract either though.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
shall be in disagreement with yzerman if he doesnt add a cop or two . i read the duck cop delesarius is tough and a ufa , would like bringing back witkowski too . spelling incorrect but u know what i mean . and whiskey hustles big time to boot . i want a rat like jamie benn thinking ' if i cheap shot larkin delesarius and whiskey are coming after me ' , its called a deterent . ecspecially with seider coming up i want two cops rostered to keep the law

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I would like to see Albert Johansson get a couple of games in next year too. He's played with the big boys in the SHL, he justs needs to adapt to the North American style of game and he's going to be a good one.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
shall be in disagreement with yzerman if he doesnt add a cop or two . i read the duck cop delesarius is tough and a ufa , would like bringing back witkowski too . spelling incorrect but u know what i mean . and whiskey hustles big time to boot . i want a rat like jamie benn thinking ' if i cheap shot larkin delesarius and whiskey are coming after me ' , its called a deterent . ecspecially with seider coming up i want two cops rostered to keep the law

Givani Smith could be one of those guys. Jamie Oleksiak could be another and can play actual minutes.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Names2020-2021
Forwards
Larkin6.1
Neilsen5.25
Vrana5.7???
Bertuzzi4.25???
Zadina0.894
Fabbri2.95
Rasmussen1.3???
Erne1.5???
Panik2.75
Namestnikov2
Glendening1.5???
Gagner
Svechnikov
Filppula
Helm
Ryan
TOTAL34.194
Defense
DK5
Stetcher1.7
Staal
Djoos
Cholowski
Lindstrom
Hronek3.25???
Biega
TOTAL9.95
Goalies
Greiss3.6
Bernier4.2???
TOTAL7.8
Other:2.306
CAPHIT54.25
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Here is a spreadsheet I made of our known Salary Cap, with a few guesstimations (???) as to new salary levels. 54M cap hit. We likely do not NEED to sign any 5M players to reach the floor, so no worries there.

Using only my guesstimated salary signings that leaves us with: ((Im going to assume Nielsen is demoted to AHL for his last year)

Vrana-Larkin-Zadina
Fabbri-Rasmussen-XXX
Panik-Namestnikov-Erne
XXX-Glendening-XXX

DK-Hronek
Stetcher-XXX
XXX-XXX

Bernier
Greiss

(This list ignores Rookies like Raymond, Seider, Bergren)

With this as a BASIS of a Roster... How would you guys finish it?

I think that Yzerman should be taking on a bad contract of a guy who can still play. Ideally at LD. Someone like Gostisbehere or Gardiner with a pick or prospect added as an incentive to do the trade. I think this is a better option than trying to sign a mediocre FA, although I wouldn't mind adding Oleksiak.

Re-sign Bernier for 2 years and leave a top 9 roster spot open for one of the F prospects. Probably no need to bring back Bobby Ryan or Sam Gagner, but I would be ok with either on a very cheap, 1 year deal.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We need to get an actual 2C for next year. Someone who can win closer to 50% of draws and drive possession more than either Vladdy or Fabbri do. They did admirably filling into that slot, but I don't think either is really the 2C we are looking for.

Then I would like to see a top 6 of:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Vrana
Berggren-XXXX-Zadina

I think Berggren is a lot better than people realize, and will be top 6 from the get go. I think Bertuzzi and Berggren are your playmaking wingers, and should run opposite Zadina and Vrana.

Ras is your 3C, and I would like to see him get time on both the PP and PK.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We need to get an actual 2C for next year. Someone who can win closer to 50% of draws and drive possession more than either Vladdy or Fabbri do. They did admirably filling into that slot, but I don't think either is really the 2C we are looking for.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Vrana
Berggren-XXXX-Zadina

I think Berggren is a lot better than people realize, and will be top 6 from the get go. I think Bertuzzi and Berggren are your playmaking wingers, and should run opposite Zadina and Vrana.

I like that a lot, I think Vrana with Larkin-Bertuzzi could be a beautiful thing, they will support then f*** outta him. Outside of that though, as I've said before, I think he can dominate a middle six matchup better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Givani Smith could be one of those guys. Jamie Oleksiak could be another and can play actual minutes.

I would love to sign Oleksiak and play him on the top pair with Seider.

If we could do that this off-season, and then bring in a 2C via trade, we could really start to see this roster start coming together IMO.

Reactions: Winger98

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who are your Center targets?

I have been trying to look at what could make sense, there. I just looked at the centers that will be hitting UFA, and have to say I am not a fan.

You have some older guys I would probably stay away from like Stastny, Getzlaf, Krejci. We have not had luck with those kinda guys in the past.

You have Granlund, who I like, but I would like to get someone better at defense/faceoffs ideally.

Danault would make sense, but I don't know if there is enough offense from me. He's kind of like a rich man's Glendening.

RNH would be the ideal UFA add, but he will have his pick, and not sure why we would be the pick? Unless not a lot of other teams are offering the 2C slot he wants, maybe.

As far as trades go, I might look for a guy who is overpaid and/or a team that has a logjam at center. Max Domi is someone who has been a healthy scratch for Columbus, I would kick the tires on that. I'd have to look to see if there are any other situations like that we could pursue. I am open to ideas there, for sure.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Vrana
Berggren-XXXX-Zadina

Take away his first 3 games at center and Fabbri was over 50% on draws. He just had a bad start, it's not an ongoing concern. He's got a shoot first mentality, so I agree he does not drive possession and he's probably better on the wing.

That being said, if Berggren drops anyone down to the third line, it's Zadina, not Fabbri. Robby has twice as many goals in 13 fewer games. He can score in the NHL, Zadina hasn't shown that he can do that yet.

I don't see Stevie picking up a free agent center this offseason, so that slot is probably Raz' with Fabbri as a fall back. Vlad has no business being on the top 6 as a center or wing.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I have been trying to look at what could make sense, there. I just looked at the centers that will be hitting UFA, and have to say I am not a fan.

You have some older guys I would probably stay away from like Stastny, Getzlaf, Krejci. We have not had luck with those kinda guys in the past.

You have Granlund, who I like, but I would like to get someone better at defense/faceoffs ideally.

Danault would make sense, but I don't know if there is enough offense from me. He's kind of like a rich man's Glendening.

RNH would be the ideal UFA add, but he will have his pick, and not sure why we would be the pick? Unless not a lot of other teams are offering the 2C slot he wants, maybe.

As far as trades go, I might look for a guy who is overpaid and/or a team that has a logjam at center. Max Domi is someone who has been a healthy scratch for Columbus, I would kick the tires on that. I'd have to look to see if there are any other situations like that we could pursue. I am open to ideas there, for sure.

Ok thanks! My comments with some other possible options:

UFA's

I wouldn't mind Krejci, but I don't know why he would want to come here. He's still an excellent distributor and he could fit in nicely as a mentor to our other Czech players. He could also help maximize Vrana's talents, which might boost Vrana's value if he isn't in Yzerman's longer term plans. Perhaps there's a tiny chance that a guy like him would come here on a 2 year deal and then be used as a deadline sell if the Wings aren't in playoff contention in the 2nd year (which they likely won't be).

I would probably back off from pursuing RNH. He would seem to be a little too expensive for my taste and not necessarily fit the timeline. But on a shorter team (4 years max) deal I would be open to signing him.

Danault is a guy I like. That line with Tatar and Gallagher is a top 5v5 line and I think he probably drives more offense than his shot and point totals suggest.

Granlund is kinda meh. I don't know how effective he is as a center. Doesn't seem like a certain upgrade over Fabbri or a further developed Rasmussen to me. But Wennberg should be cheap and he seems like a better bet to play center.

Trades

Domi is interesting. I think he was mishandled in Montreal last year and quite possibly in Columbus this year as well. I'm growing leary, but maybe he can be a driver in the right environment.

This most recent offseason I thought Roslovic was a guy that we should have pursued. There must be a couple similar guys in the league who have been forced to the wing behind some stronger incumbents.

Not a parallel situation, but Hertl is a year away from being a UFA and the Sharks are in a bad situation with their cap. Might be worth kicking some tires there for a team that is, quite frankly, looking like they are further away from being a contender than us because they will need to take a big step backwards sometime soon.

Kerfoot might be an ok option if the Leafs are looking to get rid of the contract and add a pick to do so.

Reinhart in Buffalo? I'd have to think they'll sign him, but maybe there is an opportunity there also.

Most other players that are obvious bad contracts come with terms that are too long and/or have too high of a cap hit to be plausible (i.e. Johansen, Duchene, Scmaltz).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ok thanks! My comments with some other possible options:

UFA's

I wouldn't mind Krejci, but I don't know why he would want to come here. He's still an excellent distributor and he could fit in nicely as a mentor to our other Czech players. He could also help maximize Vrana's talents, which might boost Vrana's value if he isn't in Yzerman's longer term plans. Perhaps there's a tiny chance that a guy like him would come here on a 2 year deal and then be used as a deadline sell if the Wings aren't in playoff contention in the 2nd year (which they likely won't be).

I would probably back off from pursuing RNH. He would seem to be a little too expensive for my taste and not necessarily fit the timeline. But on a shorter team (4 years max) deal I would be open to signing him.

Danault is a guy I like. That line with Tatar and Gallagher is a top 5v5 line and I think he probably drives more offense than his shot and point totals suggest.

Granlund is kinda meh. I don't know how effective he is as a center. Doesn't seem like a certain upgrade over Fabbri or a further developed Rasmussen to me. But Wennberg should be cheap and he seems like a better bet to play center.

Trades

Domi is interesting. I think he was mishandled in Montreal last year and quite possibly in Columbus this year as well. I'm growing leary, but maybe he can be a driver in the right environment.

This most recent offseason I thought Roslovic was a guy that we should have pursued. There must be a couple similar guys in the league who have been forced to the wing behind some stronger incumbents.

Not a parallel situation, but Hertl is a year away from being a UFA and the Sharks are in a bad situation with their cap. Might be worth kicking some tires there for a team that is, quite frankly, looking like they are further away from being a contender than us because they will need to take a big step backwards sometime soon.

Kerfoot might be an ok option if the Leafs are looking to get rid of the contract and add a pick to do so.

Reinhart in Buffalo? I'd have to think they'll sign him, but maybe there is an opportunity there also.

Most other players that are obvious bad contracts come with terms that are too long and/or have too high of a cap hit to be plausible (i.e. Johansen, Duchene, Scmaltz).

Oh man, I would love getting Hertl.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Speaking of Tomas Hertl, he had 15 goals in 37 games as a 20 year old. He had 13 in 82 as a 21 year old, and has turned into a perennial 20/30 goal guy since. Hopefully it's just a Czech forward thing to have a mediocre 21 year old season :D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Think I would like Krejci as 1-year Czech UFA veteran to play between Vrana and Zadina.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
- concerning RNH , imo doesnt have enough ruggedness or play with enough heart . ya he has an excellent talent level which can sparkle if hes playing with a bunch of talented teammates that provide space n chances . but as an individual force he doesnt impress me much . ecspecially since it looks like he will be getting a big coin longish term contract that i want no part of

- concerning krejci , totally all in for bringing in a smart talented respected vet centerman to teach the newbies and his fellow czechs . the more high iq vet centers around to teach the prospects the better . ide be huge on this signing if its like 2 years . its a known fact im huge on mentors !
krejci teaching razz , veleno , even larkin would be great

- also on board with the oleksiak add , put him n seider as 3rd pair to start

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Vrana
Berggren-XXXX-Zadina

Veleno

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Would be nice.... if he's ready? I feel like NHL coaches are conservative and would give someone like Fabbri, Vladdy, or a vet that slot before Veleno.
Nah man, Veleno had a solid first game in the NHL, pencil him in as #2 C next year for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad