Next Year (21/22) : Lines/Roster Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was thinking of what the team might look like next year.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Berggren-Fabbri/????-Zadina
Fabbri-Vlad/Veleno-Svechnikov
Rasmussen-Glendening-Givani

????-Seider
Dekeyser-Hronek
Nemeth/Cholo-Stecher/Lindstrom

Again, we need to figure out this 2C and top 4 LD situation. Sucks we did not get lottery help again last year, Stuetzle would work great with what we need. But we are where we are.

I am optimistically going to slot Berggren in at 2nd line LW, I know it might not happen, but I really feel like he is the type of player that would do well with Zadina.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
44ajAPG.png

Reactions: r0bert8841

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am thinking we move on from Filppula, Helm, and Staal. Would also probably personally move on from Merrill, Biega, Gagner, Nemeth.

We may bring back Erne or Djoos for depth, I'd be ok with it.

Would be fine with brining back Glendening/Ryan/Bernier if it's for a reasonable AAV. Assuming they are not traded and then sign elsewhere.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Still frustrated the idea of signing Krug was met with so much opposition. He is a lot of what this team needs. Playing hard minutes (22:41) for St. Louis, and is a +12 with yet again a CF% over 50.

Guy could play for my team any day.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
There is no easy answer on the issue of 2C. Essentially our options seem to be:

1) Sign RNH to a big contract
2) Continue plugging Fabbri in
3) Hope you can get Stastny/Staal/Kreiji to take a short contract in detroit. If its a 1 year deal, Id be willing to Offer a big AAV
4) Hope Veleno/Rasmussen can rise to the role while lacking the depth to set them up for success
5) a trade out of nowhere.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Bettuzzi, Mantha, Zadina, Raymond, Berggren, Svechnikov.

I think we are in good shape on the wing. I think if we draft a forward other than Beniers, that will tell you we are definitely going to trade 1/2 of the guys above. I think more likely, we will prioritize C/D in this upcoming draft. But you never know.

I guess it comes down how we feel about these defenseman in the upcoming draft. If we draft a Johnson/Eklund/Guenther, I think we see some forwards traded.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
There is no easy answer on the issue of 2C. Essentially our options seem to be:

1) Sign RNH to a big contract
2) Continue plugging Fabbri in
3) Hope you can get Stastny/Staal/Kreiji to take a short contract in detroit. If its a 1 year deal, Id be willing to Offer a big AAV
4) Hope Veleno/Rasmussen can rise to the role while lacking the depth to set them up for success

2C is not the problem. We have an excellent 2C in Larkin. This team needs a bona fide 1C. Unfortunately there is nothing in the pipeline or the '21 draft to fill this need. I'm not sure that SY can lure an elite 1C FA to this team - if there are any. Only potential 1C on expiring deal this season is RNH. After '22 you have Bergeron, Barkov, Point & Coutourier. I really don't see us landing any of these elite players - if you even consider them elite which I do. A trade for Eichel or something like that is perhaps our only true hope. Appears we just might have a legit 1D on the way, but Veleno, Rasmussen, Nider, Mastro, etc. are not going to be that guy. It's a huge problem for SY to address imo.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha

????-Seider
Dekeyser-Hronek

Again, we need to figure out this 2C and top 4 LD situation. Sucks we did not get lottery help again last year, Stuetzle would work great with what we need. But we are where we are.

I am optimistically going to slot Berggren in at 2nd line LW, I know it might not happen, but I really feel like he is the type of player that would do well with Zadina.

Sadly you can probably scratch out veleno, im hoping berggren sticks but i wouldnt be surprised if he starts in ahl , im sure yzerman will try to get us to tank , maybe sign A few more ufa vets to 1 yr deals

Im sure he’ll want to be at the bottom again for 2022 and quite frankly he should, we need that 1/2 pick

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
The forwards are going to be hard to predict. There should be a fairly sizeable exodus of veterans and I'm hoping that is met with some younger players taking spots and legitimately holding them. Still, I think we will need some help there via FA or trade. Everyone knows we need a C.

On D, I would probably keep one-two of Merrill, Nemeth and Djoos. If Seider and Cholowski both come into the mix next year (they should) then we have a bit of a jam. Hronek and Stecher should be locks as well, so that leaves Dekeyser and one open spot. If Seattle takes Dekeyser, we can bring 2 of those guys back, provided there aren't other, better options that come available. Merrill is my first choice, since he has the most balanced skillset and could probably be extended cheaply for multiple years.

In net, I'm ok with bringing back Bernier and okay with trading him too. I'd like to see what Drieger costs in a trade. He could be a long-term option for this team.

Reactions: 14ari13

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Bettuzzi, Mantha, Zadina, Raymond, Berggren, Svechnikov.

I think we are in good shape on the wing. I think if we draft a forward other than Beniers, that will tell you we are definitely going to trade 1/2 of the guys above. I think more likely, we will prioritize C/D in this upcoming draft. But you never know.

I guess it comes down how we feel about these defenseman in the upcoming draft. If we draft a Johnson/Eklund/Guenther, I think we see some forwards traded.

Makes sense. And I agree about (hopefully prioritizing C/D) but of note, Schwartz, Tatar, Palmeiri, Saad and a few lesser (but productive) options are UFA Wingers this summer. Might be tough getting good value if we trade a winger this summer.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'd LOVE to add Schwartz if he makes it to UFA. I know we're jammed on the wings as is but Schwartz is a good playmaker and shown to bring some pretty consistent offence. It would also allow us to ease Berggren in. Start him/Raymond on the 3rd line and we might actually have some meaningful depth. Schwartz is an upgrade across the board and a legit playmaker that could really help Mantha or Zadina.

Schwartz - Larkin - Mantha
Bert - Fabbri - Zadina
Berggren/Raymond - Vlad - Svech/Veleno
Rasmussen - Glendening - Smith

Centre is still a weak spot but like I said, our options are limited so Im not sure we can find that answer this off season. Therefore it makes sense to get the best/most complimentary option available up front, establish some meaningful depth, draft a C/D and keep building.

At the end of the day its hard to see the blues letting him walk. Id have lesser interest in Hall but could get on board with him as well.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Sadly you can probably scratch out veleno, im hoping berggren sticks but i wouldnt be surprised if he starts in ahl , im sure yzerman will try to get us to tank , maybe sign A few more ufa vets to 1 yr deals

Im sure he’ll want to be at the bottom again for 2022 and quite frankly he should, we need that 1/2 pick

The best way to tank would probably be to bring in all the kids all at once. Berggren is going to have a hell of a transition; Veleno has been slow to adjust at every level. Seider is probably most well equipped, but still to expect him to have a massive impact that we hope for down the line is very unlikely early in the NHL.

Bernier may or may not be back, and he is so important to our mild improvement.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'd LOVE to add Schwartz if he makes it to UFA. I know we're jammed on the wings as is but Schwartz is a good playmaker and shown to bring some pretty consistent offence. It would also allow us to ease Berggren in. Start him/Raymond on the 3rd line and we might actually have some meaningful depth. Schwartz is an upgrade across the board and a legit playmaker that could really help Mantha or Zadina.

Schwartz - Larkin - Mantha
Bert - Fabbri - Zadina
Berggren/Raymond - Vlad - Svech/Veleno
Rasmussen - Glendening - Smith

Centre is still a weak spot but like I said, our options are limited so Im not sure we can find that answer this off season. Therefore it makes sense to get the best/most complimentary option available up front, establish some meaningful depth, draft a C/D and keep building.

At the end of the day its hard to see the blues letting him walk. Id have lesser interest in Hall but could get on board with him as well.
I like that L2, been clamoring for BFZ for over a year now.

I think Veleno breaks in on 3W & learns from Vlad, then they share 3C spot at some point next season. Schwartz isn't a bad option, younger & better than Ryan, who I wouldn't mind back on a cheap 1yr, same as: Bernier, Merrill & possibly LGD if needed. Mantha should be traded by '21 start, hopefully, for Hanifin/LD?

*(UFA/Schwartz/Ryan)-Larkin-Raymond
Bert-Fabbri-Zadina
Berggren-Vlad/Veleno-Vlad/Veleno
Svech-LGD-Ras
Smith

Hanifin-Seider
*DDK?-Hronek
Merrill-Stech
Djoos-Lindstrom
*Cholo?

*DDK or Cholo get picked in ED/or traded. or Greiss may be exposed & picked.
Stech & Lindstrom protected. Erne & Brome as AHL/trade bait throw-ins? Raymond & or Berggren probably start in GR though, so both Erne & Brome could be on opening night roster.

I think we run 13F/8D +2G.

Last edited:

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
The best way to tank would probably be to bring in all the kids all at once. Berggren is going to have a hell of a transition; Veleno has been slow to adjust at every level. Seider is probably most well equipped, but still to expect him to have a massive impact that we hope for down the line is very unlikely early in the NHL.

Bernier may or may not be back, and he is so important to our mild improvement.
That might f*** up alot of player development though, wouldnt be surprised if we signed mediocre vets for one year deals again, our d is also complete shit so would help with the tank , even with seider and cholowski theyd have no experience like you said but also can see mediocre dmen being added in

Veleno has been picking up his game in sweden for a while but I do think veleno starts in grand rapids till trade deadline(i wouldnt, but can see it happening) can see berggren being sent down at some point as well , again i wouldnt

I dont know if bernier will be back but I do think yzerman wants to “unintentionally “ tank so he might not , either way someone offers a 2nd for bernier he should be dealt

Reactions: r0bert8841

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
How many of these guys to we expect to return???
From the ufa’s? Bernier,glendening,merrill are only options to return id say and that wouldnt stop me from trading any of them and if none returned i wouldnt lose any sleep .

None should get more than 2 yrs , maybe 3 for glendening max at 2.25-2.5 max cause i think someone might offer him that but i dont think its smart to give a 4th liner 2.5 mill , but maybe for 2 yrs ok and with so many cheap contracts

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha

????-Seider
Dekeyser-Hronek

I think Svechnikov is gone.
I just can't see this team having Cholo, Berggren, Venlo, Rasmussen and Smith and Svechnikov all on the same squad.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Fabbri-Namest- Zadina
xxx-Nielsen-xxx
Erne-Rasmussen-Smith

Staal-Hronek
Dekeyser-Seider
Cholowski-Stecher
I think they bring back one of Staal, Merril or Nemeth.

Maybe Yzerman goes out and signs Janmark and Grigorenko to 1-year deals to keep the table set for Berggren and Raymond.
I can also see the Wings signing Glendening, whether they trade him or not.

One option on D, if Vegas can't afford him, could be Alec Martinez. Erik Gustaffsson could be another.

That's how I see the Wings handling it.

But were it me?
1) Fire Blashill.
2) Sign Taylor Hall, Alec Martinez and Petr Mrazek

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Fabbri
Hall-Namest-Zadina
Svechnikov-Veleno-Mantha
Erne-Rasmussen-Smith
(nielsen backing up the young centers)

Martinez-Seider
Staal-Hronek
Cholowski-Stecher

Mrazek/Greiss

Seider

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
My pipe dream scenario. It won't happen, but it's possible.

This offseason: Sign RNH. Mantha on trade block for a good goalie prospect or a 1st. If no good deal, no big deal. Get the best defenseman in the draft we can (will use Power in this example just cause it looks sexier). Promote Seider (obviously) and ease in Veleno and Berggren if they are ready. Not opposed for a low risk potentially mid reward forward like say VIrtanen if we can get him for a 5th or lower.

Next offseason: Pray for Shane Wright. If we get him this makes the next step immeasurbly easier which is getting Larkin and Yzerman to brainwash Werenski into coming over. Promote (if possible) the best of Tuomisto, AJ, or McIssac should any of them be ready. If we traded Mantha and Raymond is not ready, sign a Nyquist level middle 6 winger could also do good, as well as a grizzeled D first vet.

Then in 2022-23 we could run something like

Line 1A: Bertuzzi-Larkin-Zadina
Line 1b: RNH-Wright-Raymond/Mantha/Top 6 FA. This line will obviously be our top line in the years to come, but if we have both Wright and Raymond it may help to shelter them a bit
Line 3: Fabbri-Veleno-Berggren
Line 4- Smith - Rasmussen - Svechnikov
(Virtanen like addition)

Seider- Werenski
Power-Hronek
Stecher/Vet- the best of Cholowski/AJ/Tuomisto/McIssac

(2nd best of the guys listed above as 7th)

That roster is very young, but it's also very fast, with a lot of two way ability, size, and grit. They may not be a true contender in 23, but they likely would be in 24.

Again though, this is best case scenario

Reactions: golffuul

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think Svechnikov is gone.
I just can't see this team having Cholo, Berggren, Venlo, Rasmussen and Smith and Svechnikov all on the same squad.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Fabbri-Namest- Zadina
xxx-Nielsen-xxx
Erne-Rasmussen-Smith

Staal-Hronek
Dekeyser-Seider
Cholowski-Stecher
I think they bring back one of Staal, Merril or Nemeth.

Maybe Yzerman goes out and signs Janmark and Grigorenko to 1-year deals to keep the table set for Berggren and Raymond.

One option on D, if Vegas can't afford him, could be Alec Martinez. Erik Gustaffsson could be another.
Why is everyone writing off Fabbri as a center when he's outperforming every current center on this team including Larkin, both statistically and eye test? I also think his game would mesh better with Berggren than any other current center.

Ideally we need an elite 1C to bump both Larkin and Fabbri down one line, but Fabbri is proving he's capable this season. If he gets bumped down to 3C, who wouldn't want a 40 - 50 pt 3C?

I know he doesn't fit into the team's long term plans, but I want Ryan back. And Bernier. Those 2 make games watchable, and if we're gonna have "veteran presence" I want useful verterans.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd keep Veleno, Raymond, Bergreen in SHL, very good place to make them ready .
Trade Mantha , he doesn't want to play here.
Let Rayan and Glendening compete for the cup.
Bring Seider, Smith, Rasmussen, Hirose, Cholowski to the big club.
Hire good coaches.

Reactions: BSHH

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if the defense remains largely the same, save for the addition of Seider.
I'm all for bringing back Stecher and Merrill. They've been solid acquisitions and are both due reasonable raises as far as I'm concerned.
If it's possible to snag a free agent upgrade on Hronek like Hamilton I'd be tempted, but I think our big FA signing (if there is one) is going to be Werenski in 2022 unless CBJ makes him an offer he can't refuse. Cholowski might make it or might get dealt. He probably gets dealt though, as McIsaac (when healthy) Tuomisto and Johansson are looking like they are higher potential than Cholowski while also being safer in their end. Yzerman isn't a fan of one-dimensional defense.
I'd even be for bringing Staal back as the 6th/7th defenseman

At forward I would expect 2 of our kids in Sweden to come over at some point. Veleno is playing solid hockey there and could contribute on our 3rd line already. Berggren is too damn good to not make the jump.
Maybe Rasmussen finally makes it, and Givani Smith should make it because he's shown himself to be a capable 3rd/4th liner in the pros. I think we walk away from Svech and let him take his chances as a free agent somewhere else. Holland probably makes a run at him.

Fillpula and Gagner will be gone. I think we keep Glendening and/or Helm, but I think one of them jumps ship to Holland-land.

Sadly we're stuck with Nielsen unless we finally buy the guy out, which I think there's a higher chance of it after season's end. The Wings are at least 5 years from spending to the cap. He'd be a 4.25 mil cap hit next year, then 500k the following season before falling off. 1.5 mil in real savings.

In goal I like Greiss and Bernier again. I don't like the way the team plays sloppy hockey in front of him. It's crazy how we play like a playoff bubble team in front of Bernier, but any other goalie and we're the 1993 Ottawa Senators.

TLDR: I hope we go the Chicago route and have 5 rookies in our lineup next year. Maybe we add an FA piece that would help the young guys along the path as well.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
My pipe dream scenario. It won't happen, but it's possible.

This offseason: Sign RNH. Mantha on trade block for a good goalie prospect or a 1st. If no good deal, no big deal. Get the best defenseman in the draft we can (will use Power in this example just cause it looks sexier). Promote Seider (obviously) and ease in Veleno and Berggren if they are ready. Not opposed for a low risk potentially mid reward forward like say VIrtanen if we can get him for a 5th or lower.

Next offseason: Pray for Shane Wright. If we get him this makes the next step immeasurbly easier which is getting Larkin and Yzerman to brainwash Werenski into coming over. Promote (if possible) the best of Tuomisto, AJ, or McIssac should any of them be ready. If we traded Mantha and Raymond is not ready, sign a Nyquist level middle 6 winger could also do good, as well as a grizzeled D first vet.

Then in 2022-23 we could run something like

Line 1A: Bertuzzi-Larkin-Zadina
Line 1b: RNH-Wright-Raymond/Mantha/Top 6 FA. This line will obviously be our top line in the years to come, but if we have both Wright and Raymond it may help to shelter them a bit
Line 3: Fabbri-Veleno-Berggren
Line 4- Smith - Rasmussen - Svechnikov
(Virtanen like addition)

Seider- Werenski
Power-Hronek
Stecher/Vet- the best of Cholowski/AJ/Tuomisto/McIssac

(2nd best of the guys listed above as 7th)

That roster is very young, but it's also very fast, with a lot of two way ability, size, and grit. They may not be a true contender in 23, but they likely would be in 24.

Again though, this is best case scenario
ahhhhh yess please this is amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->