Next Year (21/22) : Lines/Roster Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nah man, Veleno had a solid first game in the NHL, pencil him in as #2 C next year for sure.
I liked what I saw yesterday against CBJ last night, but let's wait until he plays against an NHL team before giving him that spot. Carolina next.

I got him penciled in as 3C for now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I liked what I saw yesterday against CBJ last night, but let's wait until he plays against an NHL team before giving him that spot. Carolina next.

I got him penciled in as 3C for now.
I thought the sarcasm was clear :(
3rd line seems likely at this point, could move up if he comes out firing next year. This lineup has a ton of uncertainty right now with all the young talent we may or may not be injecting and a ton of UFA/RFAs.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Fabbri-Larkin-Vrana
Bertuzzi-Namestnikov- Zadina
Raymond-Ras- Bergreen
Erne-Veleno-Svechnikov
Cholowski Hronek
Staal Seider
DD Stecher

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Here's my idea for lines next year.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Fabbri
Vrana - Veleno - Zadina
Panik - Rasmussen - Namestnikov or Svechnikov (if Namestnikov is taken in the expansion draft)
Erne - Glendening - Smith or Namestnikov
Pearson

(UFAs)Alec Martinez or Mike Reilly - Seider
(UFA)Oleksiak - Hronek
Staal - Stecher
Lindstrom
McIlrath for cups of coffee as an enforcer

Bernier
Greiss

Larkin, Bertuzzi and Fabbri have great chemistry and play at a similar tempo. I don't think that would be a dominant first line but I could see all 3 of them scoring 20+ goals and 50+ points. If Larkin can find his 2018-19 form then this is a line we could go to the playoffs with.

Vrana and Zadina should not be split up ever again! They have developed an instant chemistry since Vrana joined and when they play together Zadina looks more dangerous. Veleno and Zadina looked like they had good chemistry together at the prospect camps and the two of them would make up for any of Vrana's defensive deficiencies. This would be one of the fastest lines in the NHL.

I could see slotting Berggren into this lineup on the 3rd line and I think his transition ability and puck possession would work incredibly well with Rasmussen. Panik has the kind of game that would compliment Rasmussen down low when they get in the offensive zone.

Any 4th line with LGD is going to be a decent one. Erne has had a solid year with his current hot streak and I like Smith's tenacity and grit. I get the feeling he's still going to be riding the pine a lot.

A vet LD like Martinez would be a good add for Seider. Mike Reilly has looked really, really good this season and will be due a big raise that Boston may or may not be able to match.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Here's my idea for lines next year.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Fabbri
Vrana - Veleno - Zadina
Panik - Rasmussen - Namestnikov or Svechnikov (if Namestnikov is taken in the expansion draft)
Erne - Glendening - Smith or Namestnikov
Pearson

(UFAs)Alec Martinez or Mike Reilly - Seider
(UFA)Oleksiak - Hronek
Staal - Stecher
Lindstrom
McIlrath for cups of coffee as an enforcer

Bernier
Greiss

Larkin, Bertuzzi and Fabbri have great chemistry and play at a similar tempo. I don't think that would be a dominant first line but I could see all 3 of them scoring 20+ goals and 50+ points. If Larkin can find his 2018-19 form then this is a line we could go to the playoffs with.

Vrana and Zadina should not be split up ever again! They have developed an instant chemistry since Vrana joined and when they play together Zadina looks more dangerous. Veleno and Zadina looked like they had good chemistry together at the prospect camps and the two of them would make up for any of Vrana's defensive deficiencies. This would be one of the fastest lines in the NHL.

I could see slotting Berggren into this lineup on the 3rd line and I think his transition ability and puck possession would work incredibly well with Rasmussen. Panik has the kind of game that would compliment Rasmussen down low when they get in the offensive zone.

Any 4th line with LGD is going to be a decent one. Erne has had a solid year with his current hot streak and I like Smith's tenacity and grit. I get the feeling he's still going to be riding the pine a lot.

A vet LD like Martinez would be a good add for Seider. Mike Reilly has looked really, really good this season and will be due a big raise that Boston may or may not be able to match.

Mostly, I like it. However, I would like to see 1 less UFA and leave one of those LD spots for Cholowski. Unless Yzerman trades someone like Bertuzzi or Fabbri to open up a roster spot for a UFA, I'm pretty content to see Veleno and Rasmussen get the 2 and 3 center spots. If this team is healthy on the wings then I think that Veleno and Rasmussen will be able to swim with the support that we have there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Mostly, I like it. However, I would like to see 1 less UFA and leave one of those LD spots for Cholowski. Unless Yzerman trades someone like Bertuzzi or Fabbri to open up a roster spot for a UFA, I'm pretty content to see Veleno and Rasmussen get the 2 and 3 center spots. If this team is healthy on the wings then I think that Veleno and Rasmussen will be able to swim with the support that we have there.

I honestly don't see much of a future for Cholowski with this team. I think he ends up in Edmonton as a Holland reclamation project ala Sheahan and Jurco in a season or two, and even there I don't see him catching on. I'd say he's got an expiration date of 2 more seasons in the NHL and if he's not a regular at that point he's off to Europe.

Svechnikov may be in the same boat but under the right circumstances I can see Svech scoring 20 goals in the NHL. He's got the makeup of someone who can be lethal on the powerplay as net front or on the circles with his wrist shot.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I honestly don't see much of a future for Cholowski with this team. I think he ends up in Edmonton as a Holland reclamation project ala Sheahan and Jurco in a season or two, and even there I don't see him catching on. I'd say he's got an expiration date of 2 more seasons in the NHL and if he's not a regular at that point he's off to Europe.

Svechnikov may be in the same boat but under the right circumstances I can see Svech scoring 20 goals in the NHL. He's got the makeup of someone who can be lethal on the powerplay as net front or on the circles with his wrist shot.

Don't get me wrong, I don't foresee a real impactful future for Cholowski. But I am willing to give him a little bit more time.

If we are choosing between Cholowski and Svechnikov then I think that Cholowski fits more of what we need, is less likely to be redundant and has a higher chance of being productive while under team control. I just don't see it with Svech and clearly management doesn't either with the ice time he is getting (not saying they are correct). His injury past is also a very limiting factor for him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Some posters mentioning Danault. I think he would be a good stop gap 2C. Could be a nice fit with Vrana-Zadina. As long as the term is 3years max would'nt mind a high cap hit.
Also how about Damir Zhafyarov?
Or did that rumour die?
If they could bring those guys in i guess someone from the offense would have to go in a trade for D. Maybe something like Fabbri+Glendening for a Dman X. Then possibly add another D via UFA.
So that would look something like this :

Bert-Larkin-Berggren/Damir
Vrana-Danault-Zadina
Erne-Namestnikov-Berg/Damir
Panik-Ras-Smith

Pearson-Veleno-Raymond

X-Hronek
UFA-Seider
Staal-Stecher
DDK

Cholo-Lindström

Bernier
Greiss

Oh and in this scenario Seattle takes Svech.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Martinez/Oleksiak-Seider
Dekeyser-Hronek
Cholowski-Lindstrom/Stecher

Reasonable to expect something like this?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Martinez/Oleksiak-Seider
Dekeyser-Hronek
Cholowski-Lindstrom/Stecher

Reasonable to expect something like this?

Personally I think we need one more body on the left side, even if we are able to add a guy like Martinez or Oleksiak. Maybe it's as simple as bringing back Staal or Merrill on a short, cheap deal.

I just don't think Dekeyser has another 82-game season left in his legs, and the organization really doesn't give the impression that they're confident in Cholowski's future.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Personally I think we need one more body on the left side, even if we are able to add a guy like Martinez or Oleksiak. Maybe it's as simple as bringing back Staal or Merrill on a short, cheap deal.

I just don't think Dekeyser has another 82-game season left in his legs, and the organization really doesn't give the impression that they're confident in Cholowski's future.

That's another reason why I'd love to bring Merrill back. He's ideally a bottom pair defenseman but can play up on the 2nd pair for a bit when needed.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
That's another reason why I'd love to bring Merrill back. He's ideally a bottom pair defenseman but can play up on the 2nd pair for a bit when needed.

Agreed.

When I look at who we could realistically attract, understanding that we're almost guaranteed to be out of the playoff picture, I think my "ideal" summer LHD adds would look something like this

Martinez: 2 year, 9 mil (4.5 AAV)
Merrill: 2 year, 2.5 mil (1.25 AAV)
Staal: 1 year, 2 mil (2.0 AAV)

Is it thrilling? Not at all. But this would ensure that guys like Seider and Hronek have at least competent partners to develop alongside, while maintaining flexibility for prospects like McIsaac, Johansson, and maybe even a top pick this year to ease in over the next year or two.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Any idea if Buffalo is going to re-sign Jake McCabe?

Could be a nice low-key addition. I know @The Zetterberg Era likes him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’ll pass on another year of Marc Staal. I think we were lucky to get what we got.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Easy & hard pass on Danault. He turned down $5*6y from the Habs. He'd want more $, if not term (or both) to sign here. At his age & career ppg ~.5 (4o-ish pt. pace), he should've grabbed that offer. Ideally, he's your 3C shutdown guy (but doesn't fit our timeline etc.) He's been mentioned in a few threads.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I was thinking of what the team might look like next year.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Berggren-Fabbri/????-Zadina
Fabbri-Vlad/Veleno-Svechnikov
Rasmussen-Glendening-Givani

????-Seider
Dekeyser-Hronek
Nemeth/Cholo-Stecher/Lindstrom

Again, we need to figure out this 2C and top 4 LD situation. Sucks we did not get lottery help again last year, Stuetzle would work great with what we need. But we are where we are.

I am optimistically going to slot Berggren in at 2nd line LW, I know it might not happen, but I really feel like he is the type of player that would do well with Zadina.
Posted on like 3 different threads. How good could we be to land Eichel and Hamilton. Our D would be pretty much set and our top 6. Just fill in were there is needs. Pipe dream i know and everyone says we dont have enough to land him but we have a lot of picks and 2 are first rounders plus some nice prospects. Anyone aside from seider and raymond. Call me crazy but i could work. We have tons of cap space and no crazy contracts. Look at the leafs, matthews,marner,tavares and nylander have big contracts. We can afford Hamilton and Eichel on big deals. Flame away but that's my dream scenario.

Eichel, Larkin,Veleno down the middle solves our centre problem and for dmen Hamilton,Hronek,Seider is a good lineup to build around. Greiss showed that he can play and possible resign Bernie. Thats a playoff team that can make noise let alone get in. Larkin,Eichel,Vrana even Fabbri should be a lock for 20 at least. Then you have guys like Erne making big strides, Ras, Zadina all show potential. We still have Raymond soonish and Johansson sp?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Any idea if Buffalo is going to re-sign Jake McCabe?

Could be a nice low-key addition. I know @The Zetterberg Era likes him.

McCabe I can't speak to personally, not sure what his plans are. Although, frankly, I think any UFA from Buffalo is fair game.

Currently, I actually kind of prefer guys in their 30s to guys in their late 20s. My reasoning is that I don't really see us adding anyone who is gonna be here for the long haul, so we have more flexibility adding vets on short, cheap deals than players in their prime who will likely be looking for 3+ year deals. I anticipate that guys like McCabe and Reilly for example would command longer term than guys like Ian Cole or Alec Martinez.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
and hes only 28 - has a great hustling attitude - does a decent job on both sides of puck , ecspecially d side . ide like signing him to say a low cap hit 3 year contract to start creating some continuity . seems like he would also be a good mentor for young guys as looks to be playing a low on mistakes brand of hockey . say oleksiak - merril - martinez - hronek - seider - ? - ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad