Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Reactions: Henkka

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When we're a cup contender we'll get deals like that again.

I would have given him more than 2 mil on a 1 year deal. I like him a lot better than Dekeyser, personally. Just from a play-style perspective.

why are you sighing when youve no idea if yzerman made the same offer before he signed staal ?

We usually hear about when we made offers to players or were interested in players. I don't recall hearing anything about that.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
1 year 2 mil for Ryan Murray? I would have been all over that. Sigh.

Well, it looks like we're stuck with either Staal or DeKeyser on the left side of the 2nd pair.

However...with the left side being so weak it might allow for Donovan SeBrango and Jared McIsaac to come in and get a few games at some point during the season.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Like I said in my previous post, you do both. Is MORE attention paid to systems and team play? Yes. But just about every NHL team has a dedicated skills coach to work with the players on specific skills. Stickhandling, skating, shooting, etc.
Red Wings hire Naurato for player development role Detroit's player development consultant who works with our guys on hockey skills.
Mike Ellis at eliteprospects.com The skills development coach for Tampa Bay.

I could keep going on, but these guys don't just work with rookies and the kids in the minors. They help players to improve other aspects of their game besides team play.

Do you know who Naurato is? An individual skills coach privately retained by NHL players. He isn't even a full-time Wings coach. The Redwings absolutely provide their players with the resources and staff to utilize. Similarly, NHL players do practice depreciable hockey skills on a regular basis. You don't get to the very top of the profession and simply turn it off. Individual skill development, however, is not the focus of NHL coaching staffs. If you can't complete a ten foot break-out pass, the coaches will just find someone else who can (or who can make the correct decision that allows them to complete the pass). The big thing is that NHL teams practice relatively little. What little time they do have to practice is primarily spent of systems work, specialty teams and situational decision making (i.e. the things that will likely impact games short term).

These are professional athletes yet people continue to treat them like a bunch of midget players that need to be told what to do at every turn by a coach. People are far better off thinking of them as independent contractors who are personally invested in their performance and career. They don't require top-down direction. They seek it out on their own.

FYI Naurato is a very interesting guy with a ton of very interesting things to say if you get the chance to hear him speak.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well, it looks like we're stuck with either Staal or DeKeyser on the left side of the 2nd pair.

However...with the left side being so weak it might allow for Donovan SeBrango and Jared McIsaac to come in and get a few games at some point during the season.

It might... think we see either Dan Renouf or Lashoff called up most probably.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

People really need to slow down on Sebrango. He was alright in his AHL stint but he's not anywhere near ready for any kind of NHL time. And McIssac hasn't played a significant amount of games for the better part of two seasons. The rust showed. I just want to see him get through a season without a major injury for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad