Next Year (21/22) : Lines/Roster Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sure players get better but when you are paid millions you are expected to work on your craft on your own. Players hire skating coaches, personal trainers, fitness coaches ect... Basic fundamentals are not the job of an NHL staff. They work with players on systems, strategy, body positioning, angles ect... Team fundamentals.

giphy-downsized.gif

Reactions: Konnan511

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
OK let me take a crack at this now that the roster is more or less set.

Tyler Bertuzzi – Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Filip Zadina – Pius Suter – Jakub Vrana
Adam Erne – Mitchell Stephens – Robbie Fabbri
Vladislav Namestnikov – Joe Veleno– Michael Rasmussen

Sam Gagne
Givani Smith

Nick Leddy – Moritz Seider
Marc Staal – Filip Hronek
Jordan Oesterle – Gustav Lindstrom

Troy Stetcher
Danny DeKeyser

Alex Nedeljkovic
Thomas Greiss
This would be my dream scenario. Raymond being way too good right away to keep down and earning that top line spot

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He isn't wrong.

Like I said in my previous post, you do both. Is MORE attention paid to systems and team play? Yes. But just about every NHL team has a dedicated skills coach to work with the players on specific skills. Stickhandling, skating, shooting, etc.
Red Wings hire Naurato for player development role Detroit's player development consultant who works with our guys on hockey skills.
Mike Ellis at eliteprospects.com The skills development coach for Tampa Bay.

I could keep going on, but these guys don't just work with rookies and the kids in the minors. They help players to improve other aspects of their game besides team play.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Red Wings 2021 Opening Night Roster Prediction 1.0

predicts Veleno, Berggren & Raymond + Lindstrom ALL in GR to start. :(

Ha. The first three all seem likely. No chance on Lindstrom. They wouldn't have used a protection slot on him if they were planning to just waive him, allowing Seattle, or anyone, to claim him. They also have Hirose making the roster. Lol. Not really worth the read. Heck, no publication that does slide show articles is. Just a glorified ad.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Ha. The first three all seem likely. No chance on Lindstrom. They wouldn't have used a protection slot on him if they were planning to just waive him, allowing Seattle, or anyone, to claim him. They also have Hirose making the roster. Lol. Not really worth the read. Heck, no publication that does slide show articles is. Just a glorified ad.
Yeah, Octopus Thrower, they're fluff pieces at best usually. Agree on Lindstrom staying up. I think Veleno makes the team. At least 1 of Berg/Ray surprise us & make the team.

Hirose is a career AHL'er/KHL'er. no NHL size & speed. Nor the B.Point skill to overcome deficiencies.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, Octopus Thrower, they're fluff pieces at best usually. Agree on Lindstrom staying up. I think Veleno makes the team. At least 1 of Berg/Ray surprise us & make the team.

Hirose is a career AHL'er/KHL'er. no NHL size & speed. Nor the B.Point skill to overcome deficiencies.

I know a lot of people here are writing in Veleno/Berggren/Raymond, but it's difficult for me to see. We have 12 forwards who seem pretty destined for opening night.

Larkin
Vrana
Zadina
Suter
Bertuzzi
Fabbri
Rasmussen
Namestnikov
Gagner
Stephens
Erne
Smith

It's possible Stephens is GR-bound, but I don't see Veleno playing 4C. Seems more likely that if someone steals Stephens' spot it'll be Pearson. Maybe Namestnikov is pushed out, but that's tough to see given he's an Yzerman contract, and while he was bad last season, going from 2C to off the roster seems like an unrealistic fall from grace. Gagner I expect to be a fixture, even if he maybe bumps down to the 4th line.

Something more unexpected could happen, I acknowledge that, but there certainly isn't an easy path for V/B/R.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I know a lot of people here are writing in Veleno/Berggren/Raymond, but it's difficult for me to see. We have 12 forwards who seem pretty destined for opening night.

Larkin
Vrana
Zadina
Suter
Bertuzzi
Fabbri
Rasmussen
Namestnikov
Gagner
Stephens
Erne
Smith

It's possible Stephens is GR-bound, but I don't see Veleno playing 4C. Seems more likely that if someone steals Stephens' spot it'll be Pearson. Maybe Namestnikov is pushed out, but that's tough to see given he's an Yzerman contract, and while he was bad last season, going from 2C to off the roster seems like an unrealistic fall from grace. Gagner I expect to be a fixture, even if he maybe bumps down to the 4th line.

Something more unexpected could happen, I acknowledge that, but there certainly isn't an easy path for V/B/R.
for me the head scratcher signing is Gagner. RHS is the only real bonus. Vet? we have a few. He's blocking or at least taking TOI from Veleno (as a 3W), possibly Berg/Ray? Stupid contract.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Larkin
Vrana
Zadina
Suter
Bertuzzi
Fabbri
Rasmussen
Namestnikov
Gagner
Stephens
Erne
Smith

Veleno has done just about all he can to prove he belongs. He'd have to come in and Cholowski his chance to get sent back to GR in my opinion. I don't think there's any harm in having Stephens around as competition for Veleno and Rasmussen for the 3C and 4C spots. He's mostly inconsequential as a player. The two that I'm fairly certain WILL block kids are Gagner and Namestnikov.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Agree.

But Blash is gonna play the vets and those bottom lines are depressing. I'd rather throw Berggren-Veleno-Raymond out there as a 3rd line than that garbage.

Reactions: jaster

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Fabbri - 10 G in 30 games
Raz - 3 G in 40 games
One of them belongs on a second line, the other does not.

Hard to take it seriously anyways when they have Nielsen in the lineup.
I'm just posting diff. media lineup projections. I don't agree with any of them. We've got a better handle on all things Wings than all the media combined.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm just posting diff. media lineup projections. I don't agree with any of them. We've got a better handle on all things Wings than all the media combined.
I dunno about that, half the people here have Stecher over Lindstrom and Fabbri on the third line.

I optimistically put both Veleno and Berggren in my lineup, but we'll be lucky to see one of them. I prefer to live in my fantasy world where both of them are in the lineup instead of Gagner or Vlad.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Larkin
Vrana
Zadina
Suter
Bertuzzi
Fabbri
Rasmussen
Namestnikov
Gagner
Stephens
Erne
Smith

I believe Yzerman when he says "if the kids are ready, they will play" (paraphrasing).

Namestnikov, Gagner, Stephens are all easily bumped down if they get outplayed. Smith isn't a lock for a lineup spot, could be 13th forward.

I don't expect Raymond to seriously be in consideration for a day 1 lineup. I'd be surprised. But I think both Veleno and Berggren could make that push.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Has Raymond put on any weight? I still see him listed @ 161 lbs. That's Taco sized.

I think you need to check your sources, he was 183 before last season (a few weeks before being drafted).

According to an article that was posted in one of the threads here some days ago Raymond has been working out quite heavily and non-stop since his injury (initially in order to get back to the play-offs, and then he just kept going). In the article they didn't mention any weight, but I would be surprised if he was sub 183 now, most likely he is above that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was thinking of what the team might look like next year.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Berggren-Fabbri/????-Zadina
Fabbri-Vlad/Veleno-Svechnikov
Rasmussen-Glendening-Givani

????-Seider
Dekeyser-Hronek
Nemeth/Cholo-Stecher/Lindstrom

Again, we need to figure out this 2C and top 4 LD situation.

Just raised this up from the first post.

A great example how "easy" is to predict year over rosters...

There's no Mantha, there's Vrana.
There's no Svechnikov.
There's no Glendening.
??? was acquired (Leddy)
There's no Nemeth, There's no Cholowski

But you were right that 2C and 4 LD was the things to improve. Yzerman did get them as Suter and Leddy. Also fixed the goaltending more long-term, which nobody didn't even expect.

I am thinking we move on from Filppula, Helm, and Staal. Would also probably personally move on from Merrill, Biega, Gagner, Nemeth.

We may bring back Erne or Djoos for depth, I'd be ok with it.

Would be fine with brining back Glendening/Ryan/Bernier if it's for a reasonable AAV. Assuming they are not traded and then sign elsewhere.

Still like very good hunch. We did let go Filppula, Helm, Merrill, Biega, Nemeth. Also did bring back Erne.

Djoos wasn't brought back, but the same player type as Djoos, just better version in Leddy was acquired.

Still frustrated the idea of signing Krug was met with so much opposition. He is a lot of what this team needs. Playing hard minutes (22:41) for St. Louis, and is a +12 with yet again a CF% over 50.

Guy could play for my team any day.

And here you are hoping after that "krug" type, which Leddy is. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Frk It

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There is no easy answer on the issue of 2C. Essentially our options seem to be:

1) Sign RNH to a big contract
2) Continue plugging Fabbri in
3) Hope you can get Stastny/Staal/Kreiji to take a short contract in detroit. If its a 1 year deal, Id be willing to Offer a big AAV
4) Hope Veleno/Rasmussen can rise to the role while lacking the depth to set them up for success
5) a trade out of nowhere.

This proved how tough it's to estimate future.

5 options for 2C and UFA Pius Suter wasn't for reasonable price either of those.

Reactions: SirloinUB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad