Ericcson 4.2M
Helm 3.8M
With Daley - Hank - Franzen - Green still on LTIR

Our young guys -
Mantha
Bertuzzi
Ras
AA
Hronek we're really our hopes and prayers but we're stuck behind that wall of broken bodies, and monster contracts

Top Defensive Prospect: Dennis Cholowski, followed by the offensive dynamo Saarijarvi, and mighty 5'8" Joe Hicketts
Top Offensive Prospects: Svechnikov - some bad luck so far but we were penciling him into our Top 6 by 2021, following closely by ...Dominic Turgeon? Christina Ehn? ...I know there was a lot of folks riding the hype train on Axel Holmstrom
Top Goalie Prospects: ...Larson? I can't even remember if we had anything in the pipeline at this point or if we had given up

The point of this is, that was the Summer of 2018. This is what we came from in three years. For all the complaining we do collectively, moaning, and frustration with middling signings here and there or not making enough progress, this is effectively the bottom, where the contracts where the worst and before we went out and use draft capital to take Beggren, Zadina, etc. This was basically where the pipeline was the weakest, and what was left on the team was the worst.

This about the progress that's been made and when you look at what's on our roster now, how much financial flexabilty we have, how deep our prospect pool is after being literally empty for years, and how far we've come from this. Goalie and Defense are now both chalked full of interesting, talented, and diverse prospects. We aren't trying to talk ourselves into Joe Hicketts trying to become a late bloomed Tobias Enstrom or Sarrijarvi getting away from Flint whose ruining his career so he can unleash his wicked shot from the point and become Sami Vatanen 2.0.

We've come an insane distance and our team is absolutely better...healthier...younger...flat out more talented with a ever rising ceiling of potential. This was a bloodletting and we're finally coming out of it. Our signings might not be blowing your hair back but trust in the process. The farm is fertile again.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Just as a friendly reminder - back in summer of 2018 before the draft

Larkin 6.1M
Howard 5.2M
Nielsen 5.2M
DDK 5M
Kronner 4.7M
Abdelkadar 4.2M
Ericcson 4.2M
Helm 3.8M

Our young guys -
Mantha
Bertuzzi
Ras
AA
Hronek we're really our hopes and prayers but we're stuck behind that wall of broken bodies, and monster contracts

Top Defensive Prospect: Dennis Cholowski, followed by the offensive dynamo Saarijarvi, and mighty 5'8" Joe Hicketts
Top Offensive Prospects: Svechnikov - some bad luck so far but we were penciling him into our Top 6 by 2021, following closely by ...Dominic Turgeon? Christina Ehn? ...I know there was a lot of folks riding the hype train on Axel Holmstrom
Top Goalie Prospects: ...Larson? I can't even remember if we had anything in the pipeline at this point or if we had given up

The point of this is, that was the Summer of 2018. This is what we came from in three years. For all the complaining we do collectively, moaning, and frustration with middling signings here and there or not making enough progress, this is effectively the bottom, where the contracts where the worst and before we went out and use draft capital to take Beggren, Zadina, etc. This was basically where the pipeline was the weakest, and what was left on the team was the worst.

This about the progress that's been made and when you look at what's on our roster now, how much financial flexabilty we have, how deep our prospect pool is after being literally empty for years, and how far we've come from this. Goalie and Defense are now both chalked full of interesting, talented, and diverse prospects. We aren't trying to talk ourselves into Joe Hicketts trying to become a late bloomed Tobias Enstrom or Sarrijarvi getting away from Flint whose ruining his career so he can unleash his wicked shot from the point and become Sami Vatanen 2.0.

We've come an insane distance and our team is absolutely better...healthier...younger...flat out more talented with a ever rising ceiling of potential. This was a bloodletting and we're finally coming out of it. Our signings might not be blowing your hair back but trust in the process. The farm is fertile again.
Great post.

Reactions: Filppula

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Just as a friendly reminder - back in summer of 2018 before the draft

Larkin 6.1M
Howard 5.2M
Nielsen 5.2M
DDK 5M
Kronner 4.7M
Abdelkadar 4.2M
Ericcson 4.2M
Helm 3.8M

Our young guys -
Mantha
Bertuzzi
Ras
AA

Really puts things in perspective. Can’t upvote cause of infractions but great f’ing post

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
DET
Vrana - Larkin - Erne
Bertuzzi - Suter - Fabbri
Nemestnikov - Rasmussen - Zadina
Smith - Stephens - Gagner
Nielsen

Leddy - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek
Staal - Lindström
Oesterle - Stecher

Ned
Greiss

GRG
Hirose - Veleno - Raymond
Berggren - Pearson - Barber
Tyutyayev - Criscuolo - Elson
Shine - Verbeek - Martin
Curry

Renouf - Murphy
Lashoff - Newpower
McIsaac - Witkowski
Barton - Cotton

Pickard
Brattström

Reactions: Leadzedder

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
DET
Vrana - Larkin - Erne
Nielsen

Leddy - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek
Staal - Lindström
Oesterle - Stecher

Ned
Greiss

GRG
Shine - Verbeek - Martin
Curry

Renouf - Murphy
Lashoff - Newpower
McIsaac - Witkowski
Barton - Cotton

Pickard
Brattström

is Sebrango going back to OHL/Kitchner ?

I know Larkin & Zadina don't seem to have any chemistry (albeit small sample size), but surely there's a better way than stunting/potentially ruining his further development by putting him w/Ras & Nam.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Gagner and Staal. If his health weren't a concern, DDK. Allow another year of rebuilding before letters are handed to younger players, especially with so may of them still in flux regarding their long-term futures with Detroit. I like Fabbri as a candidate if he re-signs.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Gagner and Staal. If his health weren't a concern, DDK. Allow another year of rebuilding before letters are handed to younger players, especially with so may of them still in flux regarding their long-term futures with Detroit. I like Fabbri as a candidate if he re-signs.
i also like the idea of the two old vets assiting larkin . ive heard gagner speak so am aware hes a bright well spoken person , have never heard staal much besides some written quotes but like the way he plays the game so much ide like seeing his opinions fortified by the brass by giving him an A

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
DET
Vrana - Larkin - Erne
Nielsen

Leddy - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek
Staal - Lindström
Oesterle - Stecher

Ned
Greiss

GRG
Shine - Verbeek - Martin
Curry

Renouf - Murphy
Lashoff - Newpower
McIsaac - Witkowski
Barton - Cotton

Pickard
Brattström
I can see either Berggen or Raymond actually making the team. They will get their shot so hopefully the make the most if it and make it a tough decision. Raymond has said he is coming to play for Detroit not the Griffins so time will tell.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
3 A's in '22-'23

Hronek, Mo & Fabbri. Time for the new young guns to take ownership.

another substitute is Bert (if he's still here). If Bert's gone, then Leddy (if he's still here).

You don't have to wear an A/C to be a vocal/non-vocal leader.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
DET
Vrana - Larkin - Erne
Nielsen

Leddy - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek
Staal - Lindström
Oesterle - Stecher

Ned
Greiss

GRG
Shine - Verbeek - Martin
Curry

Renouf - Murphy
Lashoff - Newpower
McIsaac - Witkowski
Barton - Cotton

Pickard
Brattström
The third and forth lines are hot garbage. I really hope Veleno, Berggren, and Pearson make the team or are at least given a fair chance. Veleno already looks better than everyone on those lines.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
since Zadina has no chemistry with Larkin & we wanna reignite any chemistry of Bert-Suiter-Fabbri

**Ray/Berggren-Larkin-Vrana
Bert-Suter-Fabbri
Erne-Veleno-Zadina

**=winner of Ray/Berggren. Other goes to L4 (replaces Namest.) or GR til they're ready or logjam @F is cleared by TDL.

Pearson-1C in GR, 1st callup. Replaces Namestnikov by TDL.

BOOM!!

Gagner-GR
Nielsen-GR/LTIRetire

Reactions: Ulysses31

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
since Zadina has no chemistry with Larkin & we wanna reignite any chemistry of Bert-Suiter-Fabbri

**Ray/Berggren-Larkin-Vrana
Bert-Suter-Fabbri
Erne-Veleno-Zadina

**=winner of Ray/Berggren. Other goes to L4 (replaces Namest.) or GR til they're ready or logjam @F is cleared by TDL.

Pearson-1C in GR, 1st callup. Replaces Namestnikov by TDL.

BOOM!!

Gagner-GR
Nielsen-GR/LTIRetire
I would love to see any two of Veleno/Berggren/Raymond. There is absolutely no reason to hold any of the prospects back if they look better than Nielsen/Gagner/Namestnikov. That is a very low bar that's nanometers from the ground.

But I fully expect the tie to go to the veteran or some or BS. I don't care much for Stephens either, but I suppose you gotta let him have a few games.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Capture.PNG

I would love to see any two of Veleno/Berggren/Raymond. There is absolutely no reason to hold any of the prospects back if they look better than Nielsen/Gagner/Namestnikov. That is a very low bar that's nanometers from the ground.

But I fully expect the tie to go to the veteran or some or BS. I don't care much for Stephens either, but I suppose you gotta let him have a few games.

'Twere up to me, I'd have both Ray & Berg up as long as they tied the bottom 6 vet(s). That lineup helps us establish some chemistry right away with the Larkin-Vrana pair +1. Then L2 is somewhat familiar faces at least. L3 is a good line for development. L4 is leftovers + 1 of Ray/Berg...or maybe they rotate b/w Erne's spot on 3rd, L4 & L1, ideally. Til they're comfortable & starting to find their game.

I could see 1 game with a speed & youts line: Berg-Veleno-Ray

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Well, I'm sure I can be counted in the minority on this forum, but I don't expect any of Veleno, Berggren, or Raymond to have roster spots in Detroit, at least not out of camp. Raymond I can see getting a cup of coffee at the end of the season, Veleno I can see carving out a spot along the way, and Berggren maybe somewhere in between, like after a deadline move. Pearson is maybe 50/50 out of camp, but even he may be commuting back and forth between Detroit and GR for a while.

Bert - Larkin - Vrana
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina
Namestnikov - Ras - Gagner
Erne - Stephens - Smith
Nielsen

Leddy - Hronek
Staal - Seider
DDK - Stecher
Oesterle - Lindstrom

Nedeljkovic
Greiss

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
is Sebrango going back to OHL/Kitchner ?
Well there is that rumour. That underage players like Sebrango who played in the AHL last year, could play in the AHL next year. But i haven't heard any confirmation on that, so right now Sebrango has 3 choices for next season. NHL, OHL or loan stint to Europe.

I know Larkin & Zadina don't seem to have any chemistry (albeit small sample size), but surely there's a better way than stunting/potentially ruining his further development by putting him w/Ras & Nam.
My idea was to spread scoring threat all over top-9. Even if Zadina plays in 3rd line, he will get powerplay time too with the top talent. But if Bertuzzi-Suter-Fabbri line don't work in NHL level, then Zadina and Fabbri switch places.

The third and forth lines are hot garbage. I really hope Veleno, Berggren, and Pearson make the team or are at least given a fair chance. Veleno already looks better than everyone on those lines.
Im sure that Veleno, Berggren and Pearson will get a chance at the camp, but tie goes to the veteran, the Detroit way. Veleno is still waiver exampt, im sure Yzerman uses that possibility. I think that the team brass believes it's better for his development to play one more year in AHL as 1st line center. Berggren was healthy this year for a first time since his draft year, i don't believe that Red Wings are going to rush him. Berggren might be a huge steal, Yzerman is going to play safe. Both Pearson and Berggren will get their debuts.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Bertuzzi, Erne, Nemestnikov, Stecher and Stephens are our best TDL baits, Staal and Greiss might draw some interest. But i see those 4 forwards(+Stecher) beinging traded, after the TDL Raymond, Berggren, Veleno and Pearson gets to play that 10(?) games whats left.

This is the last tank year, only 6 +30-years old players in the roster. Leddy might be only one back for 2022-2023 season.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

If I read Yzerman correctly, he is going to give chance kids to show if they could play in NHL I expect 3 or 4 Rockies to play with main team from day one

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
would you rather have the rookies play 3rd 4th line minutes or top 2 lines in GR ? I have a feeling some people will be upset that the rookies will most likely start the year in GR just to get more minutes and experience on their top line(s).

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
would you rather have the rookies play 3rd 4th line minutes or top 2 lines in GR ? I have a feeling some people will be upset that the rookies will most likely start the year in GR just to get more minutes and experience on their top line(s).

I'm at the point where I don't want our skilled rookies (Raymond, Berggren) going to Grand Rapids to play dump and chase hockey down there. I might change my tune if we can get a better coach than Ben Simon down there. I don't think Raymond is ready yet and will need another full season somewhere to improve his game, but Berggren looks NHL ready. He wasn't shying away from contact, was cutting to the middle to make plays more, and his skating is top notch at the NHL level.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I'm at the point where I don't want our skilled rookies (Raymond, Berggren) going to Grand Rapids to play dump and chase hockey down there. I might change my tune if we can get a better coach than Ben Simon down there. I don't think Raymond is ready yet and will need another full season somewhere to improve his game, but Berggren looks NHL ready. He wasn't shying away from contact, was cutting to the middle to make plays more, and his skating is top notch at the NHL level.
I don't see Berggren making top 6, So you have to ask yourself what is better for a younger players development, bottom six in the NHL or top 6 in Minors ?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I don't see Berggren making top 6, So you have to ask yourself what is better for a younger players development, bottom six in the NHL or top 6 in Minors ?

To be fair, he was shredding the SHL while playing 3rd line minutes in Skelleftea for much of the year.

And I think Wings fans in general need to get away from this "over-ripen them on the farm" mentality. That if they can't play 17+ minutes a night in the NHL then they shouldn't be playing in the NHL. The kids will learn much more playing in the pros where we hope they will spend the vast majority of their playing careers than they will from the minors. And some of them, namely Veleno, Seider and Berggren, have little to nothing left to prove at the minor league level.

Would it be nice to see Berggren handle the rough stuff at the AHL level? Sure, but the AHL is at this point even more physical than the NHL. I don't think him getting pushed around by the Dylan McIlraths of the league will do him any favors when we want him to play against and beat NHL defenseman who can take the puck away from him through more than physically dominating him. Berggren is better off trying his moves against vets like Duncan Keith and Drew Doughty and Brent Burns than against some AHL pylons.

Would it be nice to see Veleno become a high scoring AHL center? Sure, but points aside his SHL season was a success. He joined a Malmo squad that was at or near the relegation mark in the standings and was slotted into the 2nd line of an offensively inept underachiever. Veleno was one of the team's top 5 players and helped get them into the postseason. He showed much improved defense, speed and shooting ability. He scored more when playing as a winger than as a center but that's because the center has more defensive responsibilities in Sweden.

I can understand starting them (Veleno and Berggren) in the minors while we deal with overcrowding on the bottom half of the roster with the idea of calling them up after 20ish games though I would prefer to have them up full time until they prove they don't belong. Their skating and passing ability are better than most of the players we had on the roster last year and both are great at getting the puck up ice. Someone recently posted a tableau graph that showed how pitiful we were at zone entries last year so we'd have to be insane to ignore Veleno and Berggren's potential to help the team in this area.

Reactions: lilidk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad