Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There are a lot of schools in Boston. Some don't even play in the same conference (essentially a league).
Boston College, where amongst others, Kreider and Hayes went. They're the Eagles.
Boston University, where Shattenkirk went. They're the Terriers.
BC and BU are both in the same conference, along with Northeastern, also a Boston school.
Meanwhile, Harvard is in a whole other conference.

Ah, OK that connects some dots. I reckoned Kreider and Hayes had played with Quinn but didn't see them on any of the rosters he had coached and was surprised about it. We should expect the cute french connections talk to turn into inside Boston jokes in other words...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Many teams that didn’t even make the playoffs have many very capable hockey players. That doesn’t explain why they’re where they are.

You saw Karlsson being a 40 goal player? JAM becoming a 70 point player? Haula skirting 30 goals? Miller scoring more than triple the points he scored last year?

You should have bet on them to win to start the year when they had 500-1 odds.

They were absolutely not thought to be even close to as good as they’ve been. Saying that anyone who didn’t see this coming is childish is really out there.

None of those teams didn't even remotely have the depth Vegas had.

Look, I am definitely not trying to take anything away from Gallant, he has done a fantastic job. That group have done a fantastic job coming together.

But give a team 30 shots to pick top 6-9 players -- law of averages is that some will break out and score more pts. Wild Will, JAM, Perron, Smith, Haula, Neal, Eakin, Bellemare, Nosek, Lindberg, Tuch, Tatar and co are good players. All in their prime, at the absolute best age. Its not a group of nobodies. The best guys for the night have played, if you haven't delivered you have instantly found yourself outside the lineup.

Yeah, plenty of coaches missed the POs last season. But when watching Vegas over this season quite much, its ridiculous to claim that they haven't had great depth. I've seen them run some teams of the ice winning like 7-0 where Vegas had 4 lines going hard the entire night and the opposing team had 4-5 better players and then a bunch of misfits. Over the hill vets. Big bodies that couldn't skate. Young kids learning the trade. Then on the other side you had Vegas with 20 guys in their prime plus Engelland -- more or less -- just destroying them.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Winnipeg had much better depth than Vegas, so that argument kinda falls pretty quickly. Gallant had his team playing very well, but they also got very fortuitous with Karlsson increasinging his shooting% by 200 and Fleury going beast mode.

Back to Quinn: the most prominent connections- in my opinion- are Scott Gordon (Flyers AHL HC), Todd Richards (Tampa asst), Sacco (Bruins asst), and Greg Cronin (Isles assoc).

I’m sure there’s other ties through USA hockey too.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hmm, I'd say that more if it were Quinn that was passed over. Keefe's teams win, Quinn hasn't won anything - that's what I'm concerned about with him.

upload_2018-5-21_15-28-35.png

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I want to see something from @Ola before the season saying how he thought the knights had amazing depth. If not he's just being captain retcon

Of course, and only fair, this is what I wrote on October 28, 2017:
Saw Vegas yesterday. they have such a great depth compared to the other teams in the league. Imagine if GMGM had gone for it instead of the creating the circus he have, would have been a contender for sure. Heck, I wonder if I wouldn't have betted on them winning it all...

I did even underrate them a little -- but I still stand behind what I said, imagine if GMGM would have GONE for it and tried to build as good team as possible? I would have had them as the favorites no doubt.

In response to this post;
I think it's because they're still not going to have anything approaching a playoff team, at least in my opinion. The forwards will just not be there IMO. I don't think they should pretend like they're not in a good position as far as expansion teams go and go for tons of picks, but they should probably mix in picks and some decent prospects as opposed to a lot of forwards that quite frankly are going to amount to a team that struggles to score.

I wrote this before the season:
Then McPhee has done a HORRIBLE job to be honest. Look at the teams challenging for PO spots this season. Vegas would have twice as good depth as these teams.

There were always going to be so many genuinely good players available when Vegas picked. Good skating, hard working, endurable hockey players. The Eakins, Hannulas and co. Oscar Lindberg was very good for us in the POs, he isn't even in their top 12 (albeit Gallant has started to play his top 9 a little harder now and more goes with a grinding 4th).

Winnipeg had much better depth than Vegas, so that argument kinda falls pretty quickly. Gallant had his team playing very well, but they also got very fortuitous with Karlsson increasinging his shooting% by 200 and Fleury going beast mode.

I don't agree at all. Even when Vegas had the lead late on away ice for the series clincher Vegas just kept going and really put them on their heels time after time. Winnipeg didn't have much the last 30.

During the regular season, no forward averaged more than 15:05 of ES ice time for Vegas. Schleife was at 16:23 for Winnipeg. Torts that is a coach that plays his forwards hard had Panarin at 17:10. 55 guys in the league had more ice time than Vegas top guy. All their guys were between 11 and 15.

Look, it sounds a bit wrong what I am writing, I think Gallant have done great and not to trash that, not at all, its fantastic, a cinderella story, but there are some serious take aways to be made from this series:
1. Depth is tremendously important
2. Endurance and having players in their prime is tremendously important.
3. Don't get caught with over the hill vets.
4. Kids that aren't ready shouldn't be in the NHL. To compete, having players mostly in their prime will pay off. All shifts matter the same.

Gallant has been a HC 6 previous seasons in the NHL and only made the POs once, I just don't buy that he should get all the credit for what Vegas has done. I called it before the season, early of the season, and I still stand buy it. They have a very deep and good roster, albeit different from how many other teams are built. We should look at what they do different too.

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I am so lost on these things, are there two colleges in Boston? What is the difference between them? Does both have the hockey teams. Sometimes its BU. Sometimes its the Terriers. Sometimes its BC. I don't get it.

Shhh don’t say this too loudly. The teams are huge rivals. I am a BC alum. Both schools are private schools and fairly comparable overall academically, with each having their own strengths. BC is a Jesuit/Catholic school, is smaller (9k), and is located in Chestnut Hill which is a suburb of Boston. More of a classic college campus feel. BU is bigger (35k) and is more of an urban campus.

BC has D1 football and basketball (though they are not very good) while BUs main athletic focus is on hockey. BC has always maintained a very clean cut image with their hockey team...show up to games in suits, no beards or long hair, etc. BU is perceived by many Boston fans I’ve met to be more of a “lunch pail” blue collar local team. But the reality is both schools cost north of 50k and are great academically with pretty similar kids going to each.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and Ola

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
When Montgomery was hired in Dallas,he made some comments about having 4 young children and how they felt Texas was similar to Colorado. They loved living in Colorado. He must not realize New York has suburbs and woods too.

His loss.

Reactions: ecemleafs

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Very interesting. It'll be interesting to see how Dallas does with him. They're definitely further along than NYR in terms of having some of the key things you really need to be in contention in this league, but they also underperform consistently and have some of the worst scouts in the league.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When Montgomery was hired in Dallas,he made some comments about having 4 young children and how they felt Texas was similar to Colorado. They loved living in Colorado. He must not realize New York has suburbs and woods too.

His loss.

Yes, but New York isn't necessarily a better place to live.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

His loss.

In fairness, having lived in the western U.S. and the eastern U.S., it's probably a bit more than that.

New York is not everyone's cup of tea, even in the suburbs. It's not just the outdoors, it's the pace, the culture, the way of life, the costs, etc.

Sometimes it's a matter of timing.

Reactions: haveandare

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
:dunno:Never heard any reports of the Rangers formally offering Montgomery the position.

I will say that I've heard Quinn's name being linked to the Rangers far more than Montgomery's ever was, and that was before Montgomery went to Dallas.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Always great getting a coach who turns down $8 million dollars to coach the freakin New York Rangers, but willing to accept $4 million more.

Sounds like a guy who REALLY wants to be here, and isn't just in it for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad