Player Discussion Calvin Pickard

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well played, Mr. Pickard.

Well played.
His dad's reaction after he allowed the 2nd goal was the same as mine:laugh:

But yes I liked his game. He made saves when we needed to and when there was a heartbreaker the team was able to bounce back as at least they had the lead unlike Sunday where we couldn't get a lead and the heartbreaker goals hurt that much more.

It's pretty simple 3 or less goals allowed and this team can find a way to win. I know we've won one when we allowed 4 goals, but I think it's gonna be tough to pot 5 against this Vancouver team in a game. The team has thrown a lot against the Nucks last night and more a good chunk of Sunday's game, unless Silvos completely breaks we need our goalies to make saves.

rpm197509

Nov 29, 2014
Since you asked, not really no.

But I'm also not interested in getting into a fight around here this time of year and especially not after a big win so I'll decline to elaborate further for now.
I didn't have tons of faith in him but felt more comfortable starting him over Skinner. One thing is Pickard is playing for his last chance at an NHL contract and that is a hell of a motivator.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This guys makes following the Oilers exciting again
I was a skeptic during the regular season but Pickard earned this shot and it's obvious the players trust him because he's reliable. They played confident the other night.

Skinner is a young goaltender, he has plenty of time to reinvent his game, but not during these playoffs.

Pickard is riding a .917 SVG% in the postseason.

Reactions: AM and Canovin

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I didn't have tons of faith in him but felt more comfortable starting him over Skinner. One thing is Pickard is playing for his last chance at an NHL contract and that is a hell of a motivator.
Yeah we're still hoping for a career backup/minor leaguer to salvage our season.

His first start being good is no guarantee he can keep it up or be the better goalie at minimum 50% of the time.

That said, my confidence in Skinner is just shot. I don't think he has what it takes unless the Oilers play out-of-their-minds solid defence against playoff opposition, and teams usually don't play solid defence in front of shaky goalies for obvious reasons.

Will Skinner be a good playoff performer in the future? Maybe. He can come back then in that case; in the meantime I prefer Pickard as sad as that is.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I actually went back and rewatched the game for pickard and I'll admit...I'm no more comfortable now then before. Rose colored glasses off, his positioning esp in the first was actually really bad. There were a lot of plays that he was scrambling in the crease, but either vancouver missed the net or edmonton blocked it. He got better as the game went on, but no doubt in my mind edmontons plan in the game was to support pickard. Now having said that I'm still rooting for him, and a solid game tonight may start to sway my opinion.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I actually went back and rewatched the game for pickard and I'll admit...I'm no more comfortable now then before. Rose colored glasses off, his positioning esp in the first was actually really bad. There were a lot of plays that he was scrambling in the crease, but either vancouver missed the net or edmonton blocked it. He got better as the game went on, but no doubt in my mind edmontons plan in the game was to support pickard. Now having said that I'm still rooting for him, and a solid game tonight may start to sway my opinion.
I did think the team in front of him made things easier the first two periods. They seemed to get the puck out of those dangerous spots quicker.

With that being said I fell he was better positioned most the night. Unlike Skinner who it seems every game we are making multiple excuses for why a puck went in. Sometimes those bad bounces don't end up if the goalie is properly positioned in the first place. Between Skinner himself and Dustin Schwartz I don't know why they can't figure some of this shit out. I also think Coffey has some work to do with his d-men as well to make things easier on the goalies, but Skinner needs to work out his kinks as that's all he can control.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
I actually went back and rewatched the game for pickard and I'll admit...I'm no more comfortable now then before. Rose colored glasses off, his positioning esp in the first was actually really bad.

To be fair he hadn't played since April 18th and he started looking more comfortable as the game went on. He's no more consistent than Skinner though or else he would have been starting games so tempered expectations.

If he gets the nod tonight I hope he plays well not just because I want the win but because I like his story. We just need .900 goaltending from him and this forward/d group should be able to do the rest.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I did think the team in front of him made things easier the first two periods. They seemed to get the puck out of those dangerous spots quicker.

With that being said I fell he was better positioned most the night. Unlike Skinner who it seems every game we are making multiple excuses for why a puck went in. Sometimes those bad bounces don't end up if the goalie is properly positioned in the first place. Between Skinner himself and Dustin Schwartz I don't know why they can't figure some of this shit out. I also think Coffey has some work to do with his d-men as well to make things easier on the goalies, but Skinner needs to work out his kinks as that's all he can control.

Two of those bad bounces did end up in the net though... No fault of Pickard (Or Skinner if he was in similar situation) though. I just remember some on here foaming at the mouth blaming Skinner for every bad bounce goal, claiming goalies all over the league stop those chances. Even when both goals in game four went in there wasn't 20 MAKE A SAVE posts. But Skinner has to stop everything.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Two of those bad bounces did end up in the net though... No fault of Pickard (Or Skinner if he was in similar situation) though. I just remember some on here foaming at the mouth blaming Skinner for every bad bounce goal, claiming goalies all over the league stop those chances. Even when both goals in game four went in there wasn't 20 MAKE A SAVE posts. But Skinner has to stop everything.
You are only counting the bad bounces that end up in the back of the net though. There are other bad bounces and breaks in a game that don't go in the net.

Fact is Skinner let in 4 and there was an excuse for every single one. Essentially every goal he's let in these playoffs there is an excuse for why it wounded up in the back of the net.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
You are only counting the bad bounces that end up in the back of the net though. There are other bad bounces and breaks in a game that don't go in the net.

Fact is Skinner let in 4 and there was an excuse for every single one. Essentially every goal he's let in these playoffs there is an excuse for why it wounded up in the back of the net.
Yeah I remember when defensive coverage was blown last game and boeser had a clear empty shot at pickard which his saved.

He bailed out his dmen. They both need to occasionally bail each other out.

If it was skinner that goes in and the "where was the defense" crew shows its head again.

Edmonton has the best defense in the playoffs statistically. It's the goaltending which has failed us.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Pickard was just solid and made the saves you expect a goalie to make. He also made a few good saves too. That is all the Oilers needed. Skinner has not been reliable at all in these playoffs. The Oilers actual defensive play has been excellent overall in these playoffs so far.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah I remember when defensive coverage was blown last game and boeser had a clear empty shot at pickard which his saved.

He bailed out his dmen. They both need to occasionally bail each other out.

If it was skinner that goes in and the "where was the defense" crew shows its head again.

Edmonton has the best defense in the playoffs statistically. It's the goaltending which has failed us.
Basically, like at the beginning of the year, not every mistake needs to end up in your net.

Reactions: joestevens29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad