next Kings COACH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Honestly feel like stepping away from the Kings for awhile if this happens.

These last 5 years have been horrific. This isn’t hyperbole, I truly think many posters on this forum could have managed this team better than the 2 men who completely drove it into the ground.
Right there with you. If Blake hires this toad it will be two lazy bitchass nepotistic hires in a row, not counting our interim dipshit. Machoweveryouspellit is a f***ing loser with a losers mentality. Same as Tippet. You would think the Kings would know this having whipped their asses on the way to championships, but nope.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
LeBrun saying Todd McLellan is the clear front-runner for the Kings HC job. Blake is a big fan. Played under him. He's going to ask Edmonton for permission as soon as the season ends.

i REALLY hope not

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Blake's next hire for a coach has to last at least three seasons, or it's time to fire Robitaille and Blake. Blake better be looking for a coach that can bring the youngsters along, and hold the vets accountable.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
If I was a coach being interviewed, I would want to know the master plan is, the expected time involved to implement it, and what players were being moved out...would specifically state that Carter, Phaneuf, and Toffoli should be moved out, or no point talking. Can't ice a competitive team with them.
:facepalm:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Higher than that. I've worked with movie execs at WB, film directors, cinematographers, producers, and also NASA engineers, apollo astronauts, and guided class 5 rapids and
led 4-7 day rafting expeditions in wilderness. Co-leader. 7 day, Main Salmon River. 100 miles. Co-Leader. 4 days, 71 miles, Yampa-Green. Class 4. No other humans seen the entire time. One of the toughest guys walked around Warm Springs Rapid. Ran it clean. High water that April. Been on Rivers where people drowned the same day I ran (Kings River, high water, 9,000 cfs in May) and helped rescue many that could have drowned. Only flipped 1 raft in over 5,000 river miles.
Congrats,but you wouldnt qualify for a NHL coach.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Right there with you. If Blake hires this toad it will be two lazy *****ass nepotistic hires in a row, not counting our interim dip****. Machoweveryouspellit is a ****ing loser with a losers mentality. Same as Tippet. You would think the Kings would know this having whipped their asses on the way to championships, but nope.
This would not be any more a “nepotistic hire” than when Lombardi hired Sutter. Just because the Kings have beat a McLellan-coached team doesn’t make him a bad coach. The Kings beat Quenville’s Hawks one their way to a championship too. The fact that Blake played under McLellan gives him a first hand account of how good a coach he is.

I’m not sold on McLellan, but it’s awfully hard to argue against his record.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

These last 5 years have been horrific. This isn’t hyperbole, I truly think many posters on this forum could have managed this team better than the 2 men who completely drove it into the ground.
Are you a season ticket holder?If youre,i might be interested in buying your seats.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's interesting to see the types of coaches who at one point were considered inept, and then suddenly they're considered among the best.

Take Bruce Cassidy as an example. He was hated by Caps fans and only lasted 1.5 seasons in Washington and didn't hold another head coaching position in the NHL for 12 years. The last time he coached was prior to the lockout, in 2003-04, and he coached Kingston in the OHL and was the head coach of the Providence Bruins for five seasons before he was named interim head coach of the Boston Bruins with 27 games remaining in the 2016-17 schedule. Last season he coached the Bruins to a 50-19-12 season, and he's four wins away from another 50-win season.

Before taking over the Bruins, nobody considered Bruce Cassidy as a top coaching candidate. Mike Sullivan also has a similar story. Coincidentally, he started off coaching the Bruins and only lasted two seasons there, and he was out of the NHL for a decade until the Penguins hired him midway into the 2015-16, and he coached them to a Stanley Cup that season and became the first coach in the post-cap era to coach a team to back-to-back Stanley Cup wins. And prior to that, the only head coaching gig he held was in Wilkes-Barre, and before that he served as an assistant coach with three different teams (Tampa Bay, New York R., and Vancouver).

The point I'm trying to make is that nobody even thought of these names as prime coaching candidates for teams that are trying to win now, yet they had immediate success, and also injected some youth in their respective lineups that gave their teams a jolt of much needed energy.

With a career winning percentage of .594 (which is among the top 10 among current coaches), and having the experience of working with plenty of young players with his experiences as an assistant in Detroit and with his stints in San Jose and Edmonton, I can understand the logic as to why the Kings are interested in him. I view him to be in the same level as a Gerard Gallant, who also had two unsuccessful stints in Columbus and Florida before finding success in Vegas.

I prefer a young coach with a winning pedigree like Sheldon Keefe, but it sounds like Toronto is going to lock him up, and should Babcock lose his gig, he may be next in line to be his successor. I sing Jon Cooper's praises all the time, and that is the type of coach I would like to see behind the bench, but how many Jon Cooper's are out there, or who is the next Jon Cooper?

Cooper was virtually an unknown, having only coached two seasons in the AHL (winning the Calder Cup in his second season with Norfolk), and he coached a partial season in Syracuse before he was promoted by the Lightning in 2013 with only 17 games remaining. He's about to hit 60 wins this season and has two prior 50+ winning seasons, with a run to the Stanley Cup Finals and two Eastern Conference Final appearances (both losses coming at the hands of the eventual Cup winners, Pittsburgh and Washington).

Maybe it is the fear of missing out and seeing a rival hire Todd McLellan, but consider the other names being bandied about, like Dallas Eakins, Dave Tippett, presumably Bruce Boudreau should Minnesota let him go. Are they better options? Or are there any other unknown candidates we should be aware of?

And as a reminder. The Kings hired a successful minor league coach back in 1992, and he led them to the Cup Finals in 1993, yet he is considered to be one of the worst coaches the Kings and Lightning have had the misfortune of having behind the bench because of his archaic views of the game. The Kings need a bench boss who knows how to coach in this era.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I’m totally on board with bringing on MacLellan. I don’t blame him for what happened in edmonton...

Even watching Hitch coach, they're no different than under him than
MacLellan. That is a majorly broken team that no coach can fix unless the guys running it want one to.

Just remember how anti-Sutter everyone was when he was hired.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think they should wait to see what type of team they have in place next season before hiring a coach. So maybe after the draft and free agency. Given the state of the team, no coach even rumored to be available is going to make this into a playoff squad by themselves, without major roster turnover.

It’s one situation if you have Carter, Lewis, Kovlachuk, Phaneuf and Martinez penciled in to start. It’s a different situation if you’re looking at plugging in Kupari, Vilardi and Hughes / Kakko and have cleared out some bodies to make it happen.

Reactions: LAKings88

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
This would not be any more a “nepotistic hire” than when Lombardi hired Sutter. Just because the Kings have beat a McLellan-coached team doesn’t make him a bad coach. The Kings beat Quenville’s Hawks one their way to a championship too. The fact that Blake played under McLellan gives him a first hand account of how good a coach he is.

I’m not sold on McLellan, but it’s awfully hard to argue against his record.

His record of never winning a damn thing? I agree, it's hard to argue against that.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa

While I agree that I don't think he should be the front runner, who do you think would be a better option?

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
His record of never winning a damn thing? I agree, it's hard to argue against that.
So you'd only be okay with a coach that's won a Stanley Cup before? He coached a team to Calder Cup victory, assistant coach with a Stanley Cup team, coached Canada to the World Championship . So your only candidates would be... Hitchcock and Quenneville?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Marc Crawford and Bob Hartley coached Cup winning teams. Dan Bylsma as well. I don’t think anyone here wants to see any of those names behind a Kings bench, and we already went through Crawford, who was awful here.

Reactions: lumbergh

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Marc Crawford and Bob Hartley coached Cup winning teams. Dan Bylsma as well. I don’t think anyone here wants to see any of those names behind a Kings bench, and we already went through Crawford, who was awful here.
Bylsma is a name I haven't heard in a while, but he could be a good candidate. Wore out his welcome in Pittsburgh. Bob Hartley is meh? Marc Crawford is an absolute no-go in my opinion.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Ex NJD forward John Madden is head coach of CLB’s AHL team in Cleveland. He was also an assistant for Gallant with the Panthers. I wonder if he’s a younger coach the Kings could look at hiring. He was rumored to be a guy up for the NYI job before Trotz.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I like the idea of a coach who is new to the NHL and has fresh ideas. But I don’t want a young coach. I don’t see how the vets will respect or listen to a guy who is younger than them. Plus, with this squad we need a drill sergeant type to put the vets on check.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bylsma is a name I haven't heard in a while, but he could be a good candidate. Wore out his welcome in Pittsburgh. Bob Hartley is meh? Marc Crawford is an absolute no-go in my opinion.
All three of those guys are no gos for me. Pittsburgh won despite Bylsma. Hartley was terrible here in Calgary. He never changed anything up when things were not working and was very stuck in his ways.
Agree with you on Crawford

Reactions: lumbergh

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
I like the idea of a coach who is new to the NHL and has fresh ideas. But I don’t want a young coach. I don’t see how the vets will respect or listen to a guy who is younger than them. Plus, with this squad we need a drill sergeant type to put the vets on check.

The vets aren’t going to listen to anyone. They are too entrenched to suddenly hear a new voice behind the bench and turn back the clock. That’s where you need BLuc to earn their money and convince the vets to start to hand over the minutes to younger, better players without the locker room getting poisoned by ego.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
I am with the first part for sure because it's already happening for me. That is mostly due to the current pathetic state of the broadcast though.

2nd paragraph - while certainly there were bungles but I don't see many other GMs blowing up a team that had just won the Cup the year prior.

And who is number two? Futa? Kinda agree if so.

I'm glad someone said it. I don't see that being mentioned enough here. Am I the only one that isn't enjoying the Kings broadcast anymore since Bob Miller left? It really hasn't been the same.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I'm glad someone said it. I don't see that being mentioned enough here. Am I the only one that isn't enjoying the Kings broadcast anymore since Bob Miller left? It really hasn't been the same.

No. There's a growing number of us who are utterly frustrated.

We knew it wasn't going to be the same without Bob but these two do not even call the game consistently. Jim talks aboit things that are long past or just chit chats and Alex sounds just disinterested. I don't think they've called more than a dozen faceoffs all season because they are still talking about something else.

Alex is better when he is away from Fox but there is something offputting about him in general. I'm sure he's a decent enough guy but he comes off like a smug know it all far too often.

For example he doesn't have believe in superstitious, but he also doesn't have to keep repeating it as those who do are fools. Both fans and players are. And sure they're silly to a degree but they can also make the game more fun.

In the end, all I want them to do is call the game because there are certain things that because of the nature of television and the sport that are hard to see at home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad