next Kings COACH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
So much talk about where we'll end up in the draft, we should also be talking about the 2nd biggest Blake move for next season...hiring the right coach.

I don't even want to entertain a thought of WD coming back, so who are we thinking?? Any thoughts at all on Quenville?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i think we've tried recycling coaches enough at this point, i'd like to think it's sturms to take now

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
McLellan has had tremendous success with his teams during the regular season, with mixed results in the post season.

He’s been to the conference finals twice, coached a Presidents’ Trophy winning team, and won a Calder Cup with the Houston Aeros in 2003, and was an assistant with Detroit when they won the Cup in 2008. He also led Canada to gold at the 2015 World Championships and got the Oilers into their only playoff appearance since 2006 (and into the second round).

I know we like to rag on him and his Sharks, but he does have an impressive resume. There aren’t many coaches available with Stanley Cups on their resume, and the one available, Joel Quenneville, will call his shot on where he wants to go.

Look at Mike Sullivan before Pittsburgh or Trotz before Washington, and people didn’t think much of their credentials.

Nick Kypreos also linked Todd McLellan to LA back in November.
Todd McLellan, Joel Quenneville drawing interest around the league - Sportsnet.ca

Some good insight in here as well.
Sharks defend Todd McLellan in wake of firing by Oilers
”He’s a great coach,” Couture said. “As a young player coming into this league, he taught me how to play the game at a pro level. He’d had (Pavel) Datsyuk and (Henrik) Zetterberg for a lot of years (in Detroit) and he showed me what I could pick up from guys like that. I became a much-better player because of him.”

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
McCllan? Jesus. ****ing. Christ. Could we possibly pick a worse coach? Our leadership is totally incompetent if the decide to go that way.

Yeah, he's had the Sharks, then an Oilers team completely lost with him coaching. I'd love to see them hire a young guy , and not any of the retreads.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
McLellan has had tremendous success with his teams during the regular season, with mixed results in the post season.

He’s been to the conference finals twice, coached a Presidents’ Trophy winning team, and won a Calder Cup with the Houston Aeros in 2003, and was an assistant with Detroit when they won the Cup in 2008. He also led Canada to gold at the 2015 World Championships and got the Oilers into their only playoff appearance since 2006 (and into the second round).

I know we like to rag on him and his Sharks, but he does have an impressive resume. There aren’t many coaches available with Stanley Cups on their resume, and the one available, Joel Quenneville, will call his shot on where he wants to go.

Look at Mike Sullivan before Pittsburgh or Trotz before Washington, and people didn’t think much of their credentials.

Todd McLellan, Joel Quenneville drawing interest around the league - Sportsnet.ca

So, if you give him a stacked team he can get wins during the regular season? No thanks.

The reason why the Oil made it that far was because Talbot was playing over his head and not due to his coaching.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Put my vote in for Sheldon Keefe.

Sheldon Keefe Would Be A Bold Coaching Hire For The Dallas Stars

“The biggest change for the Greyhounds was in the style of player which was appealing to Kyle. The way it worked out, it’s become the same type of player I’m attracted to and see value in. So our visions aligned,” says Keefe.

“For us, the value of speed and skill and hockey sense would far outweigh any physical attributes. We wanted people who have the ability to make plays and have speed.

“The foundation is the understanding that when we carried the puck over the blue line offensively, we created more offence,” he says. “Within that, we understood there was a correlation between carrying puck over our own blue line and how it influenced what we could do at the other team’s blue line, so we worked on different schemes and mechanisms to do that.

“After that, it just made sense we had to try and prevent the opposition from doing the same. I’ve enjoyed watching it a lot. It’s been fun to see the whole thing develop.”

(quoting Sheldon Keefe builds second career out of second chance: Cox | The Star)

Music to my ears.

Current and former Marlies on how Sheldon Keefe develops...

The Marlies' master of detail: How head coach Sheldon Keefe...

Today, Keefe’s players and colleagues, past and present, characterize him as an intense coach, a master of offence and detail, and someone who knows the game as well as anyone.

“He’s good in the system (aspects), but he’s also a really good players’ coach,” former Marlies goaltender Antoine Bibeau said. “Guys respect him.

Ryan Ward, now an assistant coach with the Greyhounds, was the Marlies video coach under Keefe during his first season in Toronto. Ward said he learned as much from Keefe during six months and a playoff run as he has from anyone in hockey.

He remembers sitting in on meetings and being wowed by Keefe’s ability to identify where open ice is going to be and make sure his players know how to use it.

Ward reels off a long list of superlatives to describe Keefe’s coaching style, calling him creative, suited to coach skilled players, obsessed by video, detail-oriented, the hardest-working coach he’s ever seen and capable of uniquely illustrating to players how to provide support, jump into holes off the rush and set the hockey equivalent of picks and rolls.

Perhaps because he was a skilled player in junior, he sees the whole play develop — defensively and offensively — before anyone else, Ward explained.

Sheldon Keefe Is A Perfect Fit For Broadway

The other big plus for Keefe is the way he looks at the game. Not only is Keefe analytically driven, but he’s throw off the shackled of the “old boys’ club” thinking and has a forward-thinking philosophy that he’s implemented for his group. As Adam illustrated in the above linked story:

"I was told a story recently where Keefe had to spend time in training camp with new players and force them to unlearn cliche concepts of getting pucks deep and making safe plays. Keefe wants a team that values possession of the puck. His teams execute breakouts so well, and do not punt the puck when under pressure in the neutral zone."

"There are a few things I’ve learned about Keefe in the last three years that really stand out. The first, is that he’s a detail-freak. You’d be hard-pressed to find a coach who is as dialed into how to create successful systems at even-strength as Keefe, particularly offensively. His teams play fast, his players know where to find open space, and they score and create a ton as a result. The same can be said to how they defend too. The Marlies have been blessed with good goaltending but they also play a tight style that contains really well."

"The fourth is that he does a really good job - and the Leafs and Marlies as a whole do this - developing players on an individual basis. Every player under Keefe has a different plan and he believes development never ends, even for veterans. His graduation rate speaks to that. But he isn’t a players coach per se. He doesn’t strike me as a warm and fuzzy coach and he’s not going to baby anyone. He’s extremely serious and heated, sometimes too much so. He also definitely has favourites and I suspect that rubs some players the wrong way."

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC

I think this would be a great hire for LA, but it looks like he’s getting a significant salary bump to stay with the Marlins. Not saying he’s off the market, but it looks like TML want to keep him in the bullpen if/when they decide to can Babcock.
Maple Leafs working on new contract for Marlies coach Sheldon Keefe - Sportsnet.ca

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

Sharks are better now with their new coach. Just don’t want a coach that lost a 3-0 series lead. I know it’s not all coaching but still.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I'd like to see new players to go with the new coach. As horrible as WD is, I don't think this season has been ALL about the idiot HC. I think Sturm will make a really good HC, but with this group of tired tan lines..I don't know. The culture in the room is moldy and new team leaders are needed. I'd still go with Sturm and cut out the mold, no re-tread.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Sharks are better now with their new coach. Just don’t want a coach that lost a 3-0 series lead. I know it’s not all coaching but still.

You should’ve seen the reactions for Sutter, and he had never won anything prior to coming here, and also was credited with being responsible for Calgary’s failures due to some of his decisions.

People have a bug up their butt over him coaching the Sharks team that fell apart in 2014 after a 3-0 series lead. Do any of you remember that happening with Boston in 2010? And they kept that coach and won a Stanley Cup the following year.

People here are quick to judge without weighing the pros and cons and not looking at the overall credentials. Exactly like what happened when Darryl Sutter’s name was brought up. There were a bunch of vehement nos in here.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
You should’ve seen the reactions for Sutter, and he had never won anything prior to coming here, and also was credited with being responsible for Calgary’s failures due to some of his decisions.

People have a bug up their butt over him coaching the Sharks team that fell apart in 2014 after a 3-0 series lead. Do any of you remember that happening with Boston in 2010? And they kept that coach and won a Stanley Cup the following year.

People here are quick to judge without weighing the pros and cons and not looking at the overall credentials. Exactly like what happened when Darryl Sutter’s name was brought up. There were a bunch of vehement nos in here.

It's not just 14. The Sharks were consistantly contenders and failed again and again under his tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad