next Kings COACH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
How many available coaches will look at this lineup and elect to stay away?

Can't make sense of this, says Brodzinski and Phaneuf is out, but then shows them in playing slots.....

Depends on what coach you are going for, a young coach who hasn't been in the show and wants to get there, jump all over it, a retread like Quenville, probably has better options and will wait.

Reactions: deaderhead28

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Can't make sense of this, says Brodzinski and Phaneuf is out, but then shows them in playing slots.....
Those are just groups at practice. If you take out Brodzinski and Phaneuf out of those groups, you get 11 forwards, 7 defensemen. That's the 11/7 part.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Well, that's one way to ensure that you are never hired....

Contrare...they would instantly know that you are serious about competing and winning. Put Carter, Toffoli in TBL top 6 (and have to remove 2 of their current players)
and put Phaneuf in their bottom pairing...and they would struggle to be a wildcard team.

So, King management should be very interested in a coach that knows this and wants to win.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
To once again quote my high school coach, as it pertains to finding a coach for such a flawed roster: "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**."

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Contrare...they would instantly know that you are serious about competing and winning. Put Carter, Toffoli in TBL top 6 (and have to remove 2 of their current players)
and put Phaneuf in their bottom pairing...and they would struggle to be a wildcard team.

So, King management should be very interested in a coach that knows this and wants to win.

LOL I stick with what I said....I take it you've never interviewed for a coaching position..anywhere?

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
LOL I stick with what I said....I take it you've never interviewed for a coaching position..anywhere?

Higher than that. I've worked with movie execs at WB, film directors, cinematographers, producers, and also NASA engineers, apollo astronauts, and guided class 5 rapids and
led 4-7 day rafting expeditions in wilderness. Co-leader. 7 day, Main Salmon River. 100 miles. Co-Leader. 4 days, 71 miles, Yampa-Green. Class 4. No other humans seen the entire time. One of the toughest guys walked around Warm Springs Rapid. Ran it clean. High water that April. Been on Rivers where people drowned the same day I ran (Kings River, high water, 9,000 cfs in May) and helped rescue many that could have drowned. Only flipped 1 raft in over 5,000 river miles.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was really upset to see McLellan's name there, but Ziggy made a good case that made me at least feel a little better, even if it just still stinks of Rob Blake nepotism.

He's just hard to read. I don't think he's as bad as his Edmonton stint, because we see what really stinks there. I also don't think he's as 'good' as he was with the Sharks, who always had a good team and that inflates him. I will say I don't like his quotes in losing, comes off as a total twat, like that bratty attitude Arizona had when they lost (we got jobbed), and the last thing this roster needs is less personal responsibility, if Todd lets them blame something else, f*** that, I'm out.

What I DO like--he has zero problems whipping the line blender out early. I generally like his system, too, and someone is always moving, which bodes well for the younger faster guys like Kempe, Iafallo, and incoming folks like Thomas, Kupari. And he's always been reputed to be a good skills-building coach for the youth, even if their playing time is...sketchy. Yet, I can't help but think this is a move for the vets, so yuck.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I’m all for whatever coach can get the players to actually move on the PP instead of stand in one spot. And maybe use *gasp* one timers and high deflections.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Some news among coaching candidates.

1. Adding to all of this is the fact Toronto is closing in on an extension with Sheldon Keefe, who coaches the Marlies.
8. Now that Los Angeles is officially eliminated from playoff contention, I think we’re going to start hearing more of Todd McLellan’s name in conjunction with the Kings. In GM Rob Blake’s two seasons with San Jose, the Sharks won 104 games with McLellan as coach.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Some news among coaching candidates.

It's pretty clear that Dubas is angling to get Babcock out and Keefe up with the Leafs. Every f***ing move by Dubas has been the complete opposite of what Babs has asked for. Babs asks for McElhinney to stay as the backup goaltender, Dubas waives him to keep Sparks. Babs asks for a RHD to flesh out the D pairs, Dubas trades for a LHD who has played essentially no times as a RHD in Muzzin. Babs asks for some size and toughness for the bottom 6, Dubas trades for 5' 9" Petan. I'm pretty sure there is some agreement that as soon as Dubas forces Babcock out, Keefe will get the position. We have a much better chance of getting Babcock than of getting Keefe in my opinion.

Reactions: Legionnaire

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The Wild are in 9th. And if they miss the playoffs or get bounced easily in the first round, I think Bruce Boudreau gets fired. If that happens, I think he’d be a good bridge coach for this team for 2-3 years. I’d rather have him as coach than that stupid muppet Toddy Mac.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m not dialled into the various coaches out there as it’s hard to follow from the UK but my two cents.

My gut is that Blake wanted to evaluate Sturm up close this year and if it’s gone as he hoped it’s his job. I’d be ok with that, he’s young and will have fresh ideas. The little research I’ve done is promising and players enjoy playing for him. Bringing him in as an assistant first made sense as the team is a mess and he should be allowed to start afresh next season.

Whomever it is though, needs to be a coach for a rebuild. At this point the playoff resume is not really a concern. It needs to be a coach to develop the youth we (will) have and turn them into a playoff team ready to take the next step. At that point we then make a change if that’s needed (a la Sutter).

These guys need to get back to playing with a smile on their faces. Although we’ve rightly criticised the vets, if they get back to enjoying their hockey it’s a great group for our young players to learn from. So for me it really must be a players coach, someone the guys want to play for.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
LeBrun saying Todd McLellan is the clear front-runner for the Kings HC job. Blake is a big fan. Played under him. He's going to ask Edmonton for permission as soon as the season ends.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
LeBrun saying Todd McLellan is the clear front-runner for the Kings HC job. Blake is a big fan. Played under him. He's going to ask Edmonton for permission as soon as the season ends.

Honestly feel like stepping away from the Kings for awhile if this happens.

These last 5 years have been horrific. This isn’t hyperbole, I truly think many posters on this forum could have managed this team better than the 2 men who completely drove it into the ground.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I’m not dialled into the various coaches out there as it’s hard to follow from the UK but my two cents.

My gut is that Blake wanted to evaluate Sturm up close this year and if it’s gone as he hoped it’s his job. I’d be ok with that, he’s young and will have fresh ideas. The little research I’ve done is promising and players enjoy playing for him. Bringing him in as an assistant first made sense as the team is a mess and he should be allowed to start afresh next season.

Whomever it is though, needs to be a coach for a rebuild. At this point the playoff resume is not really a concern. It needs to be a coach to develop the youth we (will) have and turn them into a playoff team ready to take the next step. At that point we then make a change if that’s needed (a la Sutter).

These guys need to get back to playing with a smile on their faces. Although we’ve rightly criticised the vets, if they get back to enjoying their hockey it’s a great group for our young players to learn from. So for me it really must be a players coach, someone the guys want to play for.

No, no. We need a mean coach to punish them because they made us feel bad and they should feel bad.

/s

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

These last 5 years have been horrific. This isn’t hyperbole, I truly think many posters on this forum could have managed this team better than the 2 men who completely drove it into the ground.

What could go wrong with BLuc? It seemed like a real smart move at the time.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
pretty sure i've read articles about how bad mcclellan is with young players and how poor of a communicator he is

sounds perfect for a rebuild!

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

I am with the first part for sure because it's already happening for me. That is mostly due to the current pathetic state of the broadcast though.

2nd paragraph - while certainly there were bungles but I don't see many other GMs blowing up a team that had just won the Cup the year prior.

And who is number two? Futa? Kinda agree if so.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I am with the first part for sure because it's already happening for me. That is mostly due to the current pathetic state of the broadcast though.

2nd paragraph - while certainly there were bungles but I don't see many other GMs blowing up a team that had just won the Cup the year prior.

And who is number two? Futa? Kinda agree if so.

#2 was Blake, but honestly you can include Futa too based on the draft results, although with how the Kings drafting strategy has turned around the last two years and with some recent quotes I'm starting to think that Futa was simply presenting the types of players he knew DL would want rather than the players he might have thought were best. If the Kings keep drafting faster skilled players I might amend my feelings on Futa. Although I still think the franchise as a whole should have been gutted to the studs in 2017 (Players, Coaches, Management, Executive, Scouting). It was the right move in 2006 and it would have been in 2017.

What could go wrong with BLuc? It seemed like a real smart move at the time.

The whole thing just reeks of cronyism. I'm sure McLellan will bring his lackey Jay Woodcroft in as one of the assistants and atleast one of the other ones will be a former teammate of Luc and/or Blake.

The only positive thing that Blake has done since he took over is change the drafting strategy, but really it didn't take a rocket science to see that speed/skill was taking over the league. You had to have your head in the ground or up your --- to not see it.

Last edited:

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

I'm with you here. I can accept the team being shit, they took risks and they didn't pan out. In a cap world eventually you will end up sucking, but everything surrounding the on ice product has been absolutely shit. Pulling the broadcast off of AM and putting it on the shit app. Changing the winning song to some boring f***ing soundcloud shit that has no excitement. Faust and Fox showing absolutely no chemistry, while they spend the entire broadcast trying to antagonize the few fans still watching. The giveaways requiring an additional ticket now. The whole thing has been a f***ing mess.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Blake is such a f***ing idiot if it's true. McClellan are you f***ing serious.

f***ing try out someone new to the gig rather than someone burned out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad