next Kings COACH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
If this team is committing to the rebuild, they need a coach that is good with that circumstance. This team isn't going anywhere next season either.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I dunno, as I haven't paid much attention to McLellan on a day-to-day basis, but my impression from what I saw with the Oilers and Sharks is he is short on accountability and long on excuses and cliches. That's not what this roster needs.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's not just 14. The Sharks were consistantly contenders and failed again and again under his tenure.

He took the Sharks to back-to-back Conference Finals, where they lost to the Chicago Blackhawks in 2010 and the Vancouver Canucks in 2011, both of whom were serious contenders. And he did that with notorious playoff chokers in net.

What did Sutter coached team's accomplish before the Kings hired him?

His runs in San Jose and Edmonton (and as an assistant in Detroit) give me the impression that he's done quite a bit of work in helping young player's find success at this level.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
He took the Sharks to back-to-back Conference Finals, where they lost to the Chicago Blackhawks in 2010 and the Vancouver Canucks in 2011, both of whom were serious contenders. And he did that with notorious playoff chokers in net.

Make it to game 7 of the SCF? I think the concern is that that was all he could do with rosters ready to win. The Kings are not going to be ready to win for some time.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

Nearly won the Stanley Cup with Calgary? Some will even say they were robbed.

Beyond that when he took over as HC of the Sharks they made a drastic turn around.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Make it to game 7 of the SCF?

And then his team was out in the first round the following season. Dan Bylsma also coached a Cup winning team in the past and look at what he's accomplished since. The point is, Sutter never coached a Cup winning team, and a bunch of people on here hated that hire. Some of whom who have already made up their mind on McLellan.

What did Mike Sullivan achieve before the Penguins hired him? Barry Trotz never even coached a team to a conference finals until last season. So by some of the nonsensical standards here, he must've been an awful coach.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
And then his team was out in the first round the following season. Dan Bylsma also coached a Cup winning team in the past and look at what he's accomplished since.

What did Mike Sullivan achieve before the Penguins hired him? Barry Trotz never even coached a team to a conference finals until last season. So by some of the nonsensical standards here, he must've been an awful coach.
Why not Vigneault then? SCF twice I believe? Has successfully coached for the East and the West.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
And then his team was out in the first round the following season. Dan Bylsma also coached a Cup winning team in the past and look at what he's accomplished since. The point is, Sutter never coached a Cup winning team, and a bunch of people on here hated that hire. Some of whom who have already made up their mind on McLellan.

So then, please tell me what characteristics of his coaching style would be beneficial for this team?

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I haven't seen his name linked to LA. McLellan has been reported as a coaching candidate for the Kings, thus my deep dive into his coaching credentials that many on here are quick to dismiss.
Granted. He'd definitely be better than WD. I can understand the desire to try someone new particularly when this roster is not going to be in competing condition yet. Build the team around a coach's plan essentially.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So then, please tell me what characteristics of his coaching style would be beneficial for this team?

This quote from one of his former players:
”He’s a great coach,” Couture said. “As a young player coming into this league, he taught me how to play the game at a pro level. He’d had (Pavel) Datsyuk and (Henrik) Zetterberg for a lot of years (in Detroit) and he showed me what I could pick up from guys like that. I became a much-better player because of him.”

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Oh and BTW. Talking a mediocre team like Calgary that far seaks volumes. Let's not forget Craig Conroy was their number on center. Craig Conroy.

That doesn't really help you case considering he got every ounce of effort from that team whereas most of McClellen's team's play like they don't give a rip.

Reactions: KINGS17

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
This quote from one of his former players:
”He’s a great coach,” Couture said. “As a young player coming into this league, he taught me how to play the game at a pro level. He’d had (Pavel) Datsyuk and (Henrik) Zetterberg for a lot of years (in Detroit) and he showed me what I could pick up from guys like that. I became a much-better player because of him.”

Nice soundbite. Sounds like he's much more suited for working with juniors where learning is more important than winning.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
McLellan is good coach, but I'm not sure he is the right person given the circumstances. The Kings need some like a Terry Murray, but for coaching young offensive players and not defense (although this team could use a refresher course on how to play defense again). We don't know really know how impact Sturm has on the team right now for him to be the front runner. I've really like what I've heard about Keefe so I think I'm leaning towards him. And as much as I like Stothers, I think the Kings should stay away from hiring from within again which obviously bit them in the ass last time they did that. Need to get some fresh faces, new blood and outside perspective for this group.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Seems like Blake will make a hire based on who he thinks can get the most out of 11/8/23. He’s not going to hire a young hotshot who is going to come in with some new, offensive system and start getting the fans excited.

Because this team is stuck with useless vets, any young coach is going to point to roster construction issues as the reason for losing. No way Blake allows that to happen on his watch.

Here’s the thing with the (hopefully) new coach. How long does is take to make the hire. The season is done in like 3 weeks. If we hear nothing by the end of April, I’m sure the typical mouthpieces for management will start propagandizing about how exhaustive the search is, how the market is waiting to see what additional vacancies will open up, or everyone is waiting to see what Edmonton or Joel Quenville are going to do.

The only people who will come here are hacks that are easy to sell to the public as being able to get a lot out of veteran rosters. It’ll be a middle of the road hire, for a middle of the road salary, who will be sold as a stopgap measure.

Reactions: KINGS17

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I like Gronborg, he would be an interesting take, having a European coach would at least make things interesting. The guy I really want to avoid is Keefe, I think he is way overhyped by the 'skill is all that matters' portion of the hockey world. I have a feeling he is going to have a rough start wherever he ends up going.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
You should’ve seen the reactions for Sutter, and he had never won anything prior to coming here, and also was credited with being responsible for Calgary’s failures due to some of his decisions.

People have a bug up their butt over him coaching the Sharks team that fell apart in 2014 after a 3-0 series lead. Do any of you remember that happening with Boston in 2010? And they kept that coach and won a Stanley Cup the following year.

People here are quick to judge without weighing the pros and cons and not looking at the overall credentials. Exactly like what happened when Darryl Sutter’s name was brought up. There were a bunch of vehement nos in here.
I was here (Knight of the Realm) for Sutter and I remember. I wouldn’t be happy with TMac. Just not a big fan. Out of my control tho so I guess I’d have to live with it. If all Blake could drag up was WillieD before, I’m not overly hopeful for next year. Not even sure about Sturm honestly.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Nothing against him personally but the Kings need to go outside the organization.
I don't think so to me the kings kids need time and nhl mins. Who knows how best to use them then a coach that knows most of there good sides and bad sides. The kings kids have his trust no one else's . Any vet coach will play mostly vets as a rule. Mike Stothers is a perfect coach till we are ready to contend

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Seems like Blake will make a hire based on who he thinks can get the most out of 11/8/23. He’s not going to hire a young hotshot who is going to come in with some new, offensive system and start getting the fans excited.

Because this team is stuck with useless vets, any young coach is going to point to roster construction issues as the reason for losing. No way Blake allows that to happen on his watch.

Here’s the thing with the (hopefully) new coach. How long does is take to make the hire. The season is done in like 3 weeks. If we hear nothing by the end of April, I’m sure the typical mouthpieces for management will start propagandizing about how exhaustive the search is, how the market is waiting to see what additional vacancies will open up, or everyone is waiting to see what Edmonton or Joel Quenville are going to do.

The only people who will come here are hacks that are easy to sell to the public as being able to get a lot out of veteran rosters. It’ll be a middle of the road hire, for a middle of the road salary, who will be sold as a stopgap measure.
Time to replace Robitaille and Blake.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Time to replace Robitaille and Blake.

You can't just fire a GM after one season. Even if you disagree with the hiring, firing a GM that fast is just a poor way to run an organization and a bad look to the rest of the league. Do you remember how hard it was for the Canes to find a GM with the owner running his mouth? The Kings would have that kind of reputation in the hockey world if they fired a GM after one f***ing season.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'd like to hear his thoughts after a Kings game. Sounds like he's talking about this very club. He even takes a jab at the mandatory day off thanks to the Players' Association, haha.

Here's another funny one. Usually these post game conferences are more fun after a loss. Except for Kings' coaches who are always happy with their effort.

Reactions: King'sPawn

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I’m sure the coaching hire will be after the draft. Either right away if the Kings get the first or second overall, or after the pick is made if lower. The spin will be Toddy Mac is a proven winner and has had playoff success with both veteran teams in SJ and teams with young superstars. Like in EDM, where he coached that team to a second round run 1 year after they got McJesus.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If McLellan is the choice, I wouldn't be surprised if he got Kopitar and Doughty's asses moving in the right direction again. I would be surprised if it accomplished anything other than the Kings getting a lower position in the 2020 draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad