News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2019-20 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Ah but it is a question. I know because I asked it. :)

I agree with everyone that it's Panarin. But I think Tavares is not too far behind if you look at it objectively.

Depends on how one looks at it (Just making up numbers to highlight the point) but...

I could see 8 out of 10 choosing Panarin. So not really close.

But,

If asked to grade each individual players ability to impact a teams success. Panarin is at an (A/A+) and Tavares is around a (B/B+). Much closer.

Trotz has stated in the past how Panarin almost singlehandedly stopped the Caps in the first round of their cup winning season.

Panarin is such an intuitive and dynamic player.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think 2 high-end centers is a luxury, but a high end wing-center combo is better

What makes Panarin so interesting in the “wing-center” equation is that he drives his line much like an ideal center. So you can put a solid two way center (Nelson, Kadri etc) and that line would be good to go.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What makes Panarin so interesting in the “wing-center” equation is that he drives his line much like an ideal center. So you can put a solid two way center (Nelson, Kadri etc) and that line would be good to go.
This is an interesting discussion. What do you mean by "drives his line" like a center? Since in your scenario you put a "two-way" center on his line that to me suggests he does NOT play like an ideal center. Which in my opinion he certainly does NOT. Great winger for sure but an ideal center MUST play in all three zones. That's what makes it a much more difficult position.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Ah but it is a question. I know because I asked it. :)

I agree with everyone that it's Panarin. But I think Tavares is not too far behind if you look at it objectively.

Part B of the question should be: Does he make those around him better?
Part C: Who do you want at the tail end of their current contract?

It's not very close when B and C are factored in.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
This is an interesting discussion. What do you mean by "drives his line" like a center? Since in your scenario you put a "two-way" center on his line that to me suggests he does NOT play like an ideal center. Which in my opinion he certainly does NOT. Great winger for sure but an ideal center MUST play in all three zones. That's what makes it a much more difficult position.

Clarification... “ideal” in the “offensive role” of a center. Carrying the puck and gaining controlled zone entries then controlling and distributing it within the offensive zone.

EDIT: For example, I feel his “offensive” styled game is closer to Sidney Crosby then say Taylor Hall or Pasternak.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If by objectively you mean high on angel dust.
No, I mean not from a "sour grapes Isles fanboy" perspective.

Having Tavares and Barzal centering your top two lines is Stanley Cup caliber. Barzal and Nelson is not. Panarin is having a great year and ultimately I would give him the money over Tavares but a case can be made for either.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Having Tavares and Barzal centering your top two lines is Stanley Cup caliber. Barzal and Nelson is not. Panarin is having a great year and ultimately I would give him the money over Tavares but a case can be made for either.

Well why are Tavares and Matthews as a 1-2 punch not making the Leafs a Stanley Cup contender?

Crosby and Malkin still needed complimentary guys to step up to the plate and stellar goaltending. Sad that people are still talking about Tavares, that shipped sailed and will sink one day.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Of all the things that Leaf fans are suddenly being critical of Tavares for, I'm baffled why his skating is the one they're only just now catching on to. Even at his absolute peak, his skating was no better than about average.

Did they think they were getting a McDavid/MacKinnon/Barzal level skater and suddenly he just lost his wheels within the past 12 months?

Reactions: doublechili

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Well why are Tavares and Matthews as a 1-2 punch not making the Leafs a Stanley Cup contender?

Crosby and Malkin still needed complimentary guys to step up to the plate and stellar goaltending. Sad that people are still talking about Tavares, that shipped sailed and will sink one day.
Huh? You're contradicting yourself here. Tavares and Matthews are not making the Leafs cup caliber because as you correctly pointed out in your second sentence, you need more than that. Conversely, you can have stellar goaltending and great supporting players but without high quality centers, you will not be a cup contender.

If you find the conversation "sad" please stay out of it.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
When I saw that get-up I immediately thought of dementia patients I have worked with. Sorta forget how to dress appropriately. This may sound petty but I think it's shows a certain lack of respect. Get your shit together fella!

How many of them post here?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Huh? You're contradicting yourself here. Tavares and Matthews are not cup caliber because as you correctly pointed out in your second sentence, you need more than that. Conversely, you can have stellar goaltending and great supporting players but without high quality centers, you will not be a cup contender.

If you find the conversation "sad" please stay out of it.

Not contradicting myself at all. Simply pointing out that Tavares + Barzal doesn't equate to contender. Apparently the honeymoon has worn off north of the border, but many here still clinging onto the past.

I just got my son a super soaker by the way, he's using it responsibly.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Nelson is NOT elite by any stretch of the imagination. But this is where I think Panarin’s style benefits a player like Nelson. Panarin becomes the primary puck carrier and Nelson is free to focus on more defensive coverages and just finding ways to unleash his shot.

Barzal and Tavares “may” be better than Barzal and Nelson but if given the choice of...

If the Isles signed Tavares:

LW-Barzal-RW
Nelson/Lee-Tavares-RW

Or,

If the Isles signed Panarin:

LW-Barzal-RW
LW-Nelson-Panarin

I prefer, and think most opponents would have a harder matchup with the second option.

But now, Trotz coaching Tavares...? Well we’ll never know...

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Hey would you guys rather have the guy who walked in FA or the player who signed with a rival team?

If you could have either your ex-wife back who left you or the woman that was never interested in you, who would pick?

Reactions: SayItAintSoJohnny

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Not contradicting myself at all. Simply pointing out that Tavares + Barzal doesn't equate to contender. Apparently the honeymoon has worn off north of the border, but many here still clinging onto the past.

I just got my son a super soaker by the way, he's using it responsibly.
Tavares + Barzal equates to a cup caliber #1 and #2 center. Obviously more is required to have a cup caliber TEAM. Having a conversation about Lee's, Panarin's and Tavares' contracts is not clinging to the past. I'd argue that posting tweets and articles every time Tavares farts is however...

Reactions: eoin92

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Hey would you guys rather have the guy who walked in FA or the player who signed with a rival team?

If you could have either your ex-wife back who left you or the woman that was never interested in you, who would pick?
Yep, just as I suspected. Dealing with a "Sour grapes fan boy" here. If the adults want to continue to have this conversation I'd be happy to continue it.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Oh, please listen to this, gang. A hearty rant from former Leaf Jeff O’Neill (that’s ex-Isle Jamie McClennan keeping quiet on Jeff’s left), airing on one of Toronto’s many daily radio/podcast/teevee programs today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lek

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Nelson is NOT elite by any stretch of the imagination. But this is where I think Panarin’s style benefits a player like Nelson. Panarin becomes the primary puck carrier and Nelson is free to focus on more defensive coverages and just finding ways to unleash his shot.

Barzal and Tavares “may” be better than Barzal and Nelson but if given the choice of...

If the Isles signed Tavares:

LW-Barzal-RW
Nelson/Lee-Tavares-RW

Or,

If the Isles signed Panarin:

LW-Barzal-RW
LW-Nelson-Panarin

I prefer, and think most opponents would have a harder matchup with the second option.

But now, Trotz coaching Tavares...? Well we’ll never know...
No doubt. Panarin would have been a great add, and as I said before, my choice as well. But it's not so cut and dry...

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
No doubt. Panarin would have been a great add, and as I said before, my choice as well. But it's not so cut and dry...

Never is... I was all for signing Tavares, and think that would’ve been the prudent thing to do knowing what was known at that time.

But if living on an alternate earth where both Panarin and Tavares are available at the same time AND willing to sign with the Isles... then I definitely choose Panarin even at a higher cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad