News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Ah another fantastic play from Tom Wilson who just plays "hard nose hockey".

Remember when Wilson met with DOPS this summer to figure out how to hit without getting suspended? That lasted long. Not to mention, it's f***ing preseason. This fool is dangerous and should be suspended for a long time but we all know he won't.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Remember when Wilson met with DOPS this summer to figure out how to hit without getting suspended? That lasted long. Not to mention, it's ****ing preseason. This fool is dangerous and should be suspended for a long time but we all know he won't.

Wait until Hickey kicks his ass the next time we play...

This guy is reckless and will eventually suspend himself out of the league.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Remember when Wilson met with DOPS this summer to figure out how to hit without getting suspended? That lasted long. Not to mention, it's ****ing preseason. This fool is dangerous and should be suspended for a long time but we all know he won't.

The problem is, the DoPS keeps letting him off easy, so they can never ding him as a repeat offender. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy.

DoPS: "He only got a fine last time, so technically this is his first offense so we could only suspend him 1 game without priors".

Well, yeah. How about when he does something, actually suspend him so that when he re-offends (which he will) the escalation will be in effect?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's apparently kinda hard for the DoPS to explain something to a DoPE.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's apparently kinda hard for the DoPS to explain something to a DoPE.

This is why I place the blame on the DoPS. If Wilson's not getting the message through discussion, they should, you know, suspend him? And not a slap on the wrist. If they dish out a 30+ game suspension, it doesn't matter whether Wilson gets it or not.

Obviously not quite the same thing, but it would be like if someone continually robbed stores and all he got was a stiff talking to from the police about not doing it again, no matter how many times he does it.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Maybe the league wants the drama? I recall Cooke not being properly suspended because his headhunting created a lot of drama and interest. Like some goddamn Nikolai Volkoff.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Does he even hit him in the head? It looks shoulder to shoulder to me.

The league needs to make a decision about whether they want to allow blindside hits like these when they're *not* to the head. Seems to me that the shock of these hits go to the head even if they're not to the head directly.

It's hard to make a judgment just seeing that little bit, because I can't tell how Wilson strides in off frame. But assuming that it's not charging, it looks like a legal hit given current rules.

And it has to be said, telegraphing a cut to the middle like that isn't advisable.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

From the clip posted it does look like the point of contact is the shoulder. It’s still a defenseless hit however, which I think are the bigger of the two issues with all of these Wilson hits.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

It is hard to tell from just that clip, presumably there are better angles available for a more detailed look, but I will add that it appears Wilson purposely brought his left shoulder up to catch Sundqvist in the head.

After Sunqvist gets up, he has facial lacerations, probably from the shield being driven into his cheek.

I did manage to capture the following snippet (hopefully I can add this correctly), which looks like Wilson is raising and driving his shoulder into the opposing player:

Tom Wilson Capture.PNG

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
From the clip posted it does look like the point of contact is the shoulder. It’s still a defenseless hit however, which I think are the bigger of the two issues with all of these Wilson hits.

But is that even an issue wrt the league's current rules? I don't think so.

This is the thing: is the NHL going to change its rules because of Tom Wilson? Pro: If it doesn't there are going to be more Tom Wilsons, and more intent-to-injure hits. Con: It will limit physical play from all players.

But the @danteipp screenshot looks pretty clear that it is a head shot. In that case, the league could at the very least use the opportunity to send a message.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
But is that even an issue wrt the league's current rules? I don't think so.

This is the thing: is the NHL going to change its rules because of Tom Wilson? Pro: If it doesn't there are going to be more Tom Wilsons, and more intent-to-injure hits. Con: It will limit physical play from all players.

I don’t read the league rulebook in my spare time. I just assumed there was protection in place for defenseless players.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don’t read the league rulebook in my spare time. I just assumed there was protection in place for defenseless players.

Sorry lol.

My understanding: blindside hits to the head were initially banned, but that blindside rule got deleted in favor of a ban of all hits to the head. I don't believe there is any rule about blindside hits.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sorry lol.

My understanding: blindside hits to the head were initially banned, but that blindside rule got deleted in favor of a ban of all hits to the head. I don't believe there is any rule about blindside hits.

Gotcha. If that’s the case, then I don’t expect his act to end anytime soon.

In my opinion, he’s able to hit with so much force and catch opposing players off gaurd to the point where he doesn’t need to make contact with the head to seriously injure an opposing player.

Last edited:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
If he NHL are serious about avoiding head injuries and concussions they need to take proper action, especially against repeat offenders like Wilson.
Physical play and dangerous play aren't mutually exclusive so taking a hard stance on this does not limit the physical aspect of the game for those who are afraid of that. Give the guy a 25 game ban for now, tell him he will miss a full season unless he stops and fine him until it hurts. By all means, fine the team for not making sure their players behave!

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I did manage to capture the following snippet (hopefully I can add this correctly), which looks like Wilson is raising and driving his shoulder into the opposing player:

Problem with the stop frame is that it can simply catch the overlap/follow-through because the player twists when hit and it misleads you about the point of contact. Actually, because the player's body twists like that on impact, it seems more likely that the point of contact is the shoulder, because it's difficult for the body to accept enough force to the head to twist the body almost 360 degrees. It's obviously a small, low-rez clip, but watching it a few more times, I don't see a direct targeting of the head. Problem is, like dano mentioned, blindside hits of that nature create a lot of force that drives through the neck and head, regardless of the point of contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad