News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Problem with the stop frame is that it can simply catch the overlap/follow-through because the player twists when hit and it misleads you about the point of contact. Actually, because the player's body twists like that on impact, it seems more likely that the point of contact is the shoulder, because it's difficult for the body to accept enough force to the head to twist the body almost 360 degrees. It's obviously a small, low-rez clip, but watching it a few more times, I don't see a direct targeting of the head. Problem is, like dano mentioned, blindside hits of that nature create a lot of force that drives through the neck and head, regardless of the point of contact.

There probably is some shoulder-to-shoulder contact, but there also appears to be contact to the player's head and face. How else do you explain the facial lacerations from the visor? At some point, the hit resulted in a head shot and the visior creased the player's face, digging into and breaking the skin.

Presumably the NHL will have access to far better views and equipment to really examine the play. But if the idea is to ultimately try to eliminate head shots to protect player's health and future lawsuits, well then the burden is on each player to control their body, use better judgement when checking and bear the consequences of their actions.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I can eventually see the NHL implement a rule where any hard upper body contact is illegal, forcing players to use more hip checks. And checking becomes what it was initially intended to be - take your opponent out of the play, not take his head off or knock him into next week or drive him into the 3rd row.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
There probably is some shoulder-to-shoulder contact, but there also appears to be contact to the player's head and face. How else do you explain the facial lacerations from the visor? At some point, the hit resulted in a head shot and the visior creased the player's face, digging into and breaking the skin.

Right, but that doesn't necessarily mean the primary point of contact was the head. Players have to follow through at the point of contact, else they absorb quite a bit of the force from the collision themselves. Also, like, I said... it's low resolution and it's tough to tell, but it looks like as the player spins, his non contact arm flails back around and crashes into his head area. That could explain the visor contact. In fact, that seems more likely than the visor hitting the face from the hit, because it seems the player's head was facing away from the hit... hence blindside hit.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I can eventually see the NHL implement a rule where any hard upper body contact is illegal, forcing players to use more hip checks. And checking becomes what it was initially intended to be - take your opponent out of the play, not take his head off or knock him into next week or drive him into the 3rd row.

I agree with you wrt to the big picture. How to achieve the big picture is really tough, but I always get really confused when people talk about how the game is getting so soft, etc. When I watch hockey before the age of Stevens, Chelios, Lindros etc. (seriously athletic players who were very physical) the game - apart from fights and sticks - was much much softer.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Right, but that doesn't necessarily mean the primary point of contact was the head. Players have to follow through at the point of contact, else they absorb quite a bit of the force from the collision themselves. Also, like, I said... it's low resolution and it's tough to tell, but it looks like as the player spins, his non contact arm flails back around and crashes into his head area. That could explain the visor contact. In fact, that seems more likely than the visor hitting the face from the hit, because it seems the player's head was facing away from the hit... hence blindside hit.

Lol, well we will have to agree to disagree.

To me, it seems far more likely that Wilson, who is bigger and appears to raise his left shoulder and stretch his body to create maximum impact, in advance of the check. He then catches the opposing player in the upper body and drives through with a blow to the head (on the right side), resulting in the facial lacerations to Sunqvists's right cheekbone. As opposed to a flailing left arm, coming across Sundqvist's body with such force that it whipsaws the visor into his face on the right side.

There is an overhead view here, and it seems to me that there was contact to the head and face:

In the end, contact was made with the head (at least in my view) and the situation was avoidable. Throw in that he was given a penalty for good measure.

Reactions: dood and dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks for the full view. IMO that's an obvious and egregious charge. Wilson is skating hard to get back and then crosses over to accelerate when he sees the opportunity to hit. The fact that there was contact with the head (follow through or not) + it was a charge is plenty for the NHL to send a message if they want to.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Wilsons bicep hit Sundqvist's shoulder and simultaneously Wilson's shoulder hit Sundqvists head. There absolutely was head contact. You can see how his head snaps back. This was an intentional, direct blow to the head to a vulnerable opponent. I expect a massive suspension.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Funny, I just went over to Washington's board to read what their fans have to say about this and, unless I'm mistaken, there is no thread or discussion about this latest Wilson mauling.

I guess they're just sick and tired of talking about that POS every time he tries to kill someone on the ice.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Lol, well we will have to agree to disagree.

These multiple angles and better resolution are really helpful. Thanks! I'm happy to correct myself in light of it. I do agree that a) Wilson intended to wipe this guy out and b) there was definitely contact with the head.

However, I do think the principle point of contact was shoulder to body. The hit was so forceful, it basically crumpled the other player. Over the course of contact, as Wilson's body mashed through this player, the impact reached the head. So, in my opinion, this was one of those things where he's a nasty player that didn't let up when he probably could have to some degree... But, I don't see it the head as the primary point of contact.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
These multiple angles and better resolution are really helpful. Thanks! I'm happy to correct myself in light of it. I do agree that a) Wilson intended to wipe this guy out and b) there was definitely contact with the head.

I think we can all agree that the dude is a bloody shark. Those quick 2 crossovers to accelerate into the hit is what makes the difference between a dangerous play and a predatory play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The problem with Wilson's hits are his momentum is ALWAYS driving upwards. So even in the instances when initial contact is shoulder to shoulder, there will never be a time when the follow through doesn't drive up into the opponent's head area because of how he throws them.

I think the fact that there are dozens of players as physical as Wilson, yet those guys can hit (and hit hard) without following through into a headshot suggests it's not difficult to nail people with hard hits without the upward follow through that Wilson often has.

Reactions: dood

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It’s a horrible hit. But am I wrong for asking why are you even playing that way in the preseason? I understand you need to get in game shape and get your timing down but lining up open blindside open ice hits in the preseason is kind of a scum bag thing to do imo.

Reminds me of Phaneuf on Okposo. Okposo was never the same after that. That was the preseason IIRC

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think we can all agree that the dude is a bloody shark. Those quick 2 crossovers to accelerate into the hit is what makes the difference between a dangerous play and a predatory play.
I only saw one cross over and that was to turn to the left to line him up more than to accelerate. That cross over was the only stride he took to make the hit. Otherwise he glided into him (albeit w/speed). I'm not sure I would call that charging.

But it was a clear hit to the head and against the current rules. Wilson obviously plays on the edge. I'm sure he didn't mean to hit him in the head and was trying to go shoulder on shoulder. But at that speed, with so many variables, delivering a head shot is certainly a possible outcome. And Wilson knows this. And I agree that delivering a hit like this in preseason is completely ridiculous.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Wilson obviously plays on the edge. I'm sure he didn't mean to hit him in the head and was trying to go shoulder on shoulder.

He definitely plays on the edge. I don't know if it goes as far as him meaning to do one thing over another. I think if he has an opportunity to plow someone, he does it with extreme abandon and is generally just reckless and mean with it. That goes to Sidney's point. Yes other players don't always follow through with such emphasis on flattening the opponent. But, it does happen. Like when Hickey crunched Drouin a couple years ago... That hit was body to body, but there was definitely some collateral head contact. It's not unusual to see. But, the issue with Wilson is that nobody is going to give him the benefit of the doubt, for a bunch of legitimate reasons and probably some that aren't so legitimate.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Tom Wilson winning a cup is proof there are no Hockey Gods and why I am sure Tavares is going to get his as well

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Here is the question I would have for the Blues, why do you keep scheduling preseason games against the Caps? I believe Wilson has knocked out at least three players the last couple years. And, if you are going to keep scheduling them, dress an MMA fighter and release them on Wilson the first shift.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

That Dallas deal has a conditions with it. Could be a 6th rounder. Not bad for someone they were going to lose on waivers anyway.

Reactions: SI90

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
It’s a horrible hit. But am I wrong for asking why are you even playing that way in the preseason? I understand you need to get in game shape and get your timing down but lining up open blindside open ice hits in the preseason is kind of a scum bag thing to do imo.

Reminds me of Phaneuf on Okposo. Okposo was never the same after that. That was the preseason IIRC

Yes that was preseason. I thought of the same hit.

Reactions: SI90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad