News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto is really good at playing wide open hockey. Once things start slowing down and battles for ice get tougher, I’m not sure if they know how to play that way yet.
So ironic, that some of their posters mocked the isles and Barzal last season for playing wide open hockey, explaining in their condescending way how Babcock demands his forwards be defensively responsible

Reactions: LeapOnOver

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
out of curiosity who would be the best 2nd round pick of all time? Anyone with time on their hands?? Just curious, but Kucherov is a hungry superstar.

That’s a great question. Without looking anything up Bryan Trottier was a 2nd round pick. He’s definitely gotta be up there.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So ironic, that some of their posters mocked the isles and Barzal last season for playing wide open hockey, explaining in their condescending way how Babcock demands his forwards be defensively responsible

That’s why he had so many points and out produced Marner because Babcock plays a defensive and structured style and the isles had no structure lol ohhh yeah and Barzal is going to take a major step back this year and won’t have nearly as many points under Trotz lol

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That’s why he had so many points and out produced Marner because Babcock plays a defensive and structured style and the isles had no structure lol ohhh yeah and Barzal is going to take a major step back this year and won’t have nearly as many points under Trotz lol

:laugh:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
out of curiosity who would be the best 2nd round pick of all time? Anyone with time on their hands?? Just curious, but Kucherov is a hungry superstar.
I went through the drafts from the beginning (early 60's) to 2010, and these are the ones that stuck out:
Bobby Clarke
Larry Robinson
Bryan Trottier
Chris Chelios
Joe Niewendyk
Duncan Keith
Patrice Bergeron
Shea Weber
James Neal
P K Subban

I also looked at the third round, and found:
Ken Dryden
Patrick Roy
Mark Messier
Nik Lidstrom
Zdeno Chara
Kris Letang
Brad Marchand
and the very next player selected after Brad:
Cal Clutterbuck!

Best second round pick ever? I would have to go with Big Bird, with Trottier a close second.

Best third is tougher for me. Lidstrom, Messier, and Dryden all very close.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I went through the drafts from the beginning (early 60's) to 2010, and these are the ones that stuck out:
Bobby Clarke
Larry Robinson
Bryan Trottier
Chris Chelios
Joe Niewendyk
Duncan Keith
Patrice Bergeron
Shea Weber
James Neal
P K Subban

I also looked at the third round, and found:
Ken Dryden
Patrick Roy
Mark Messier
Nik Lidstrom
Zdeno Chara
Kris Letang
Brad Marchand
and the very next player selected after Brad:
Cal Clutterbuck!

Best second round pick ever? I would have to go with Big Bird, with Trottier a close second.

Best third is tougher for me. Lidstrom, Messier, and Dryden all very close.

Big bird and Trotts for me as well Geez, just on cups alone is over 10 I think..

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Trottier should have an asterisk and be disqualified since I believe that draft year they added some underage (at the time) players to that draft so it was combining 2 years to some extent. If I recall, the next year's draft was horrible because so many good players had already been drafted. So I'd say Robinson too, but Clarke is a very close second.

Reactions: MJF

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am officially on #TeamMagicGiraffe #TageRage #ToeDragArmy

20181221_061733.jpg

Can ROR reach leaves at the top of trees? Nope.

Does ROR have no natural predator? Nope.

Does ROR survive on a plant based diet? Yes, but still...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The bolded is actually true. Babcock *does* demand a strong two-way game from his players. What the Leaf fans forgot to mention, and what still needs to be proven, is whether the group of forwards they have can actually do that.

Reactions: danteipp and SI90

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Trottier should have an asterisk and be disqualified since I believe that draft year they added some underage (at the time) players to that draft so it was combining 2 years to some extent. If I recall, the next year's draft was horrible because so many good players had already been drafted. So I'd say Robinson too, but Clarke is a very close second.
I never liked Clarke. Good player, but way too much "spear and slash then run and hide" for me.

Reactions: 12Dog

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I never liked Clarke. Good player, but way too much "spear and slash then run and hide" for me.
I agree, but I have to give him his due. But Robinson is one of my all-time favorite non-Islanders players and objectively I think he was better.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The New York Islanders are proud to select with our 2nd round pick Dimitri Chernykh. Next up Nashville Predators.
The Predators are proud to select Shea Weber

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Blurb about Mitch Marner's contract status (originally via the Athletic) posted on Rotoworld.com Mitch Marner - Toronto Maple Leafs - 2019 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Mitch Marner's agent, Darren Ferris, reiterated that his client does not want to talk contract until the end of the season.

"Yes, 100 percent," Ferri said in a text message. "Mitch wants to concentrate on this season." Waiting for the summer would certainly help Marner's camp, as he is enjoying a career year and it should help his case when his camp makes contact demands. There have also been reports in the past that he wants to see what kind of contract Auston Matthews receives first.
Source: Pierre LeBrun for The Athletic
Jan 9 - 5:42 PM

If Marner is looking to match (or exceed) Matthews' next deal, that should make for an interesting negotiation.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Blurb about Mitch Marner's contract status (originally via the Athletic) posted on Rotoworld.com Mitch Marner - Toronto Maple Leafs - 2019 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Mitch Marner's agent, Darren Ferris, reiterated that his client does not want to talk contract until the end of the season.

"Yes, 100 percent," Ferri said in a text message. "Mitch wants to concentrate on this season." Waiting for the summer would certainly help Marner's camp, as he is enjoying a career year and it should help his case when his camp makes contact demands. There have also been reports in the past that he wants to see what kind of contract Auston Matthews receives first.
Source: Pierre LeBrun for The Athletic
Jan 9 - 5:42 PM

If Marner is looking to match (or exceed) Matthews' next deal, that should make for an interesting negotiation.

He’s definitely going to make more than Nylander rhtas for sure.

I honestly think he and Matthews leave some money on the table to try and help the leafs. I hope though that he gets every penny he can out of Dubious

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Avs fans are unhappy with Grubrauer .
I remember being disappointed the isles lost out on Grubrauer.

I thought the Avs pulled off a steal by getting him for a 2nd and taking on a cap dump they would buyout.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Avs fans are unhappy with Grubrauer .
I remember being disappointed the isles lost out on Grubrauer.

I thought the Avs pulled off a steal by getting him for a 2nd and taking on a cap dump they would buyout.

I didn't want any part of Grubrauer. Didn't believe the hype, especially after that lack luster playoff series.

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad