News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Wow - I had no idea the Ducks were in such a free fall. I guess I don't pay much attention to teams out there. And this losing streak is on top of all the games they won early this season when they played like **** and should have lost.

And they're still basically tied for a WC spot. Crazy.

It is crazy, because if you look at that roster, they have absolutely NO business losing 10 in row. None whatsoever.

And they're doing this although some of their in-season acquisitions have been 100% hits (Aberg and Sprong). Of course, Fowler is basically out for the season and it looks like they miss him sorely. Wonder if they'd have any interest in Hickey?:sarcasm:

Reactions: MJF and crasherino

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It is crazy, because if you look at that roster, they have absolutely NO business losing 10 in row. None whatsoever.

And they're doing this although some of their in-season acquisitions have been 100% hits (Aberg and Sprong). Of course, Fowler is basically out for the season and it looks like they miss him sorely. Wonder if they'd have any interest in Hickey?:sarcasm:

Now THAT's some creative and productive thinking. He'd probably prosper there. And the narrative wouldn't be negative. People would view it as "poor guy - he was having a good year and he got Wally Pipp'd by Toews after getting injured....no fault of his own. Trade works for everyone!

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I find it amazing that head coach Randy Carlyle hasn’t been fired yet, much in the same way Last year with the Flyers and Dave Hakstol. The Flyers losing streak got to 10 games and no move was made. Maybe the fact that the Ducks aren’t dead and buried in the standings makes their GM not want to make panic move.

In general, we’ve seen a few cases recently of teams going into extended nosedives and their coaches survivng them. Is it because once the GM fires that coach, then he is the next fall guy?

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
I find it amazing that head coach Randy Carlyle hasn’t been fired yet, much in the same way Last year with the Flyers and Dave Hakstol. The Flyers losing streak got to 10 games and no move was made. Maybe the fact that the Ducks aren’t dead and buried in the standings makes their GM not want to make panic move.

In general, we’ve seen a few cases recently of teams going into extended nosedives and their coaches survivng them. Is it because once the GM fires that coach, then he is the next fall guy?

Remember when Flintstone had 10 game losing streaks and wasn’t fired? That was torture.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Remember when Flintstone had 10 game losing streaks and wasn’t fired? That was torture.
I thought of that too. Scott Gordon didn’t get a 2nd losing streak to survive. But the fact that Capuano got to preside over multiple losing streaks just went to show the dysfunction we endured over the years.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
As we approach the trade deadline and the playoffs, one of the really interesting story lines to follow will be what Dubas does, how TOR fares and how their fanbase reacts. And after that comes the summer of contract negotiations and roster shuffling. On the one hand their Cup window is just opening, but on the other hand from a salary cap perspective they have a unique opportunity and in some ways it will only get harder after this year.

And the subtext for us is the whole Tavares thing and also the "Dubas and Shanahan built the team, not Lou" mantra we hear. :popcorn:

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I went Hofstra at the end of the 80's and it was the footbalk's team bar and it could get pretty rowdy and it was a dump. Not sure how/whyCdH referenced it but I did crack a smile see g a pro hockey player referencing it

I would have been more impressed if he mentioned the Salty Dog. As a Hofstra grad during the cup years I can attest that was one wild place. The players used to show up.

Reactions: BTrotts19

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I would have been more impressed if he mentioned the Salty Dog. As a Hofstra grad during the cup years I can attest that was one wild place. The players used to show up.

I'm not sure the Salty Dog was there when I was there (don't recognize the name), no way he would know it :laugh:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
hKJAQ7S.jpg

NHL Network's 2015 Re-Draft. At least they got the top 2 right. :laugh:

Reactions: Lek

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Just watched another Maple Leafs melt down.:D

one win in their last six at home.

one win in their last eight vs teams that currently hold a playoff position.

and there's more, next game is vs TB, who the Isles made mad :naughty:

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Boston really pressing. If Boston isn’t gonna win this game in regulation, I don’t want them to win.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Boston really pressing. If Boston isn’t gonna win this game in regulation, I don’t want them to win.

Lol. I went to check the score after your post... just checked it again to make sure I read it right. Game over MTL wins in OT.

I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be a wild year. I'm hoping for the Isles to hang around the wild card spot, then make a run at the end to clinch home ice. Conversely, also hoping a team that rhymes with "thief's" are solidly in a playoff spot until a confluence of events leads to them being bounced the last week of the season.

Reactions: eoin92

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just have to share this with my Islanders pals.

Judas has had a very tough last 2 games. He was -4 tonight, with zero shots on net playing against Mackinnon. His line had a total of 4 shots tonight, the Mackinnon line had 13 shots on goal, 2 goals and were +6. Judas Couldn't keep up with the play or Mackinnon's speed.

The game before he was also dominated by Patrice Bergeron. Who put on a master class of how to play in all 3 zones, the boards, the front of the net, and in the faceoff circle. 2 games, 2 losses.

What does this mean, I said it this summer. The Isles were lucky and it was a blessing in disguise he decided to go pajamas blue and white. That 7 year contract is not going to age gracefully. Mark my words.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Judas has had a very tough last 2 games. He was -4 tonight, with zero shots on net playing against Mackinnon. His line had a total of 4 shots tonight, the Mackinnon line had 13 shots on goal, 2 goals and were +6. Judas Couldn't keep up with the play or Mackinnon's speed.

The game before he was also dominated by Patrice Bergeron. Who put on a master class of how to play in all 3 zones, the boards, the front of the net, and in the faceoff circle. 2 games, 2 losses.

What does this mean, I said it this summer. The Isles were lucky and it was a blessing in disguise he decided to go pajamas blue and white. That 7 year contract is not going to age gracefully. Mark my words.

Bergeron always seemed to play well-to-great against Tavares. Just an aside, Bergeron is also the forward I would probably choose above anyone else if playing in a do-or-die situation. He would either win it, or nullify whomever else is on the other team.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Lol. I went to check the score after your post... just checked it again to make sure I read it right. Game over MTL wins in OT.

I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be a wild year. I'm hoping for the Isles to hang around the wild card spot, then make a run at the end to clinch home ice. Conversely, also hoping a team that rhymes with "thief's" are solidly in a playoff spot until a confluence of events leads to them being bounced the last week of the season.
I was hoping Boston could win in regulation, leaving us one point up on Montreal with three games in hand. I really didn’t want to see a three point game. Either way, we’re way ahead of where anyone predicted us to be. It’s been a fun season.

Reactions: CupHolders

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017

You are reaching. The isles just signed Ladd and didn't even get a half season from him. He lost it a year prior to being signed axordinf to people who watch alot of hockey. Anyway, JT for 7 years at his age and that price is not a risk. Even if you completely eat the last year that's nothing .he signed at a discount so to eat the last year makes it a wash. Plus he can be 45 years old and probably help any teams power play no matter how slow he is...plus he will be a winger in three or four years his speed winter matter.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Yep, came here to check in about the -4 Tajudas line. My Toronto Twitter feed imploded tonight. Seems the young turks are in a midseason funk. And if there’s someone over there who knows from midseason funks...

A Leafs mouth-breather jumped me online last month after I’d mirthfully instagrammed a capture of John looking like a dejected/powered-down robot during the Barzal hatty romp. We were mediocre, they were second overall, good luck missing the playoffs and losing Barz for nothing, etc. He had it all figured out. Pretty smart guy, really.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I was hoping Boston could win in regulation, leaving us one point up on Montreal with three games in hand. I really didn’t want to see a three point game. Either way, we’re way ahead of where anyone predicted us to be. It’s been a fun season.

Oh, I hear you. I was hoping for the same as you. I just thought the whole sequence was funny. I kept track of the scores, but then I stepped away. Returned to HFboards and saw your post... remembered to check the scores and it was already tied. Started to post... checked again to be sure... it was over in OT.

But yes, I'm happy with this season thus far too. The organization starting to feel "Professional!" The team is playing with some structure. They don't seem to be shooting themselves in the foot as much as years passed. Their younger players seem to be progressing.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Just an aside, Bergeron is also the forward I would probably choose above anyone else if playing in a do-or-die situation. He would either win it, or nullify whomever else is on the other team.
True. Like a Trottier. BTW, for younger fans who never saw Trottier in his prime, they should think of a better, more physically punishing Bergeron. :nod:

Reactions: JT27

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Bergeron always seemed to play well-to-great against Tavares. Just an aside, Bergeron is also the forward I would probably choose above anyone else if playing in a do-or-die situation. He would either win it, or nullify whomever else is on the other team.

Bergeron dominated Tavares. But then again, Bergeron dominates almost everyone. Tavares looks up to him a lot. And agreed on your pick about Bergeron for do-or-die. That line can last in the plalyoffs, unlike say the Avs top line IMO.

I'm not paying too much attention the standings. I'm looking at them but at this stage there's so many games in hand here and there, lopsided home/away or strong/weak team splits, inflated records from loser points, etc. Not to PDO the conversation, but the Isles look like a good team on paper. Not great... a solid B+, which is good enough for the playoffs. Of course that play could slip, but right now for the first half we have been playing at WC1 level. Our GD is +17. The next best competing for WC1 is Buffalo with +1. We're 14-8-1 on the road. 5th in GA/GP. That's a solid team and we are right there fighting for top 3 in the division. The standings will shake themselves out eventually, but the pretenders and contenders are emerging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad