News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I'm following the Nylander saga with glee. I think he will run off to Russia and get all the millions he thinks he deserves.

I hope they sign him. They should trade him for defense since their d sucks, but hopefully this Mathews situation forces them to sign him. They aren't going anywhere in post season with that defense and let's hope it stays the way it is.

Reactions: bigtim1988

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
What are they going to do if JT has his typical November slump?

Well they just dropped 2 in a row and he has 1G 3A in his last 8. Typical streaks followed by 3-5 game stretches of zilch. We are going to look back one day and be so glad he didn't sign an 8 year deal with us. At the beginning of last season after watching him choke vs the Kings here in LA, I turned to a friend at the game and said we should explore trading him.

He is a very good player, but I truly believe he is more of a complimentary player and not "the guy". With Matthews out, he'll be exposed and likely look like a streaky 65 point player. Tavares feasted on less talented teams but it was very rare for him to elevate his game and truly take over a game vs a more talented team the way we've seen Barzal do.

Toronto fans are already turning on him and the team is still in a playoff position. It's literally 10 games into his contract, only another 564 games, LOL.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Well they just dropped 2 in a row and he has 1G 3A in his last 8. Typical streaks followed by 3-5 game stretches of zilch. We are going to look back one day and be so glad he didn't sign an 8 year deal with us. At the beginning of last season after watching him choke vs the Kings here in LA, I turned to a friend at the game and said we should explore trading him.

He is a very good player, but I truly believe he is more of a complimentary player and not "the guy". With Matthews out, he'll be exposed and likely look like a streaky 65 point player. Tavares feasted on less talented teams but it was very rare for him to elevate his game and truly take over a game vs a more talented team the way we've seen Barzal do.

Toronto fans are already turning on him and the team is still in a playoff position. It's literally 10 games into his contract, only another 564 games, LOL.

I think there are centerpieces that work and centerpieces that never win, it happens in a lot of sports, just look at the success of the Yankees and Braves when Mattingly and Dale Murphy were gone... Judas is an elite player, I won't take that away from him, but I think in Isles country he was turned into a spoiled monster, I tend to believe without anything close to a 2nd star on the team, the Isles probably pacified him a lot and that turned into what we saw in the final 30 games of his Isles career. Isles did have success when he was hurt after his Olympics injury. One 4th line guy said there were signs of JT privilege way back in 2011

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Let’s not get carried away here. Had JT signed we would have a better team. JT and Barzal is better than Barzal and Nelson. JT and Barzal together probably means a playoff round or two with this coaching staff and front office and who knows beyond that. I get the long term downside, but the Isles would be closer to a cup in the short term had JT signed, no doubt. I get the animosity but the things I read here on a daily basis about JT are ridiculous. If you want to sound credible, you have to be honest.

Reactions: PK Cronin

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I think there are centerpieces that work and centerpieces that never win, it happens in a lot of sports, just look at the success of the Yankees and Braves when Mattingly and Dale Murphy were gone... Judas is an elite player, I won't take that away from him, but I think in Isles country he was turned into a spoiled monster, I tend to believe without anything close to a 2nd star on the team, the Isles probably pacified him a lot and that turned into what we saw in the final 30 games of his Isles career. Isles did have success when he was hurt after his Olympics injury. One 4th line guy said there were signs of JT privilege way back in 2011

I agree. This turned into a country club, with the Wang/Snow and friends who had no responsibility and Judas was the spoiled rich kid. He really did himself in if that team never wins the Cup.

Reactions: bigtim1988

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I agree. This turned into a country club, with the Wang/Snow and friends who had no responsibility and Judas was the spoiled rich kid. He really did himself in if that team never wins the Cup.

And Judas never had a coach that had one game of NHL coaching experience before he coached Judas which does not help, Flash, Fred and Barney were not going to mentor anyone properly, probably why guys like Bailey and Nelson took forever to develop as well.

When Judas suited up for Babcock on opening night, it was the first time he played for a coach that had at least coached one other game prior in the NHL before taking over the team that Judas was on, same can be applied to all the homegrown Isles when Trotz coached on opening night

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Let’s not get carried away here. Had JT signed we would have a better team. JT and Barzal is better than Barzal and Nelson. JT and Barzal together probably means a playoff round or two with this coaching staff and front office and who knows beyond that. I get the long term downside, but the Isles would be closer to a cup in the short term had JT signed, no doubt. I get the animosity but the things I read here on a daily basis about JT are ridiculous. If you want to sound credible, you have to be honest.

Of course. Anything else is just sour grapes, and we've been a full-fledged vinegar distillery since 7/1.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Listening to Friedman on SportsNet radio. and now the party line is that Leafs fans had their expectations too high for Tavares, that he's only been PPG 3 times in his career and he's a very good (and expensive) number two center and they should be happy with that. Host said they can't expect Tavares to carry the team and that, at 28, his best days are not ahead of him. They also talked about how Tavares' performance serves to show that Leafs fans underrate Matthews' greatness. What a world.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
44 saves for Bobrovsky in a 4-1 road win against San Jose.

We have some decisions to make. Would love nothing more than Lehner to continue to be the real deal and finally find his potential. He’s younnger and would be a lot cheaper than BOB.

On the flip side, BOB is a legit top10 vezina winning goalie. Mix that with Trotz system and we could have a chance to win every game

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Listening to Friedman on SportsNet radio. and now the party line is that Leafs fans had their expectations too high for Tavares and he's a very good number two center and they should be happy with that. They also talked about how Tavares' performance serves to show that Leafs fans underrate Matthews' greatness. What a world.
Then they just paid $11M for a #2 center :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: sabremike and Lek

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Listening to Friedman on SportsNet radio. and now the party line is that Leafs fans had their expectations too high for Tavares, that he's only been PPG 3 times in his career and he's a very good (and expensive) number two center and they should be happy with that. Host said they can't expect Tavares to carry the team and that, at 28, his best days are not ahead of him. They also talked about how Tavares' performance serves to show that Leafs fans underrate Matthews' greatness. What a world.

Funny how it is only Nov 2 of season 1 and this is happening. Don’t worry, they will change the story when they win 2 in a row and JT scores a goal

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
We have some decisions to make. Would love nothing more than Lehner to continue to be the real deal and finally find his potential. He’s younnger and would be a lot cheaper than BOB.

On the flip side, BOB is a legit top10 vezina winning goalie. Mix that with Trotz system and we could have a chance to win every game

I don't mind giving Bob big bucks per season but I would like to keep the term to 4 years max. I think Bob would make a great mentor/bridge to Sorokin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad