News Article: News and Notes XXXIV - is it time for us to make panic trades yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
31 Thoughts: With Stanley Cup awarded, NHL faces new questions - Sportsnet.ca

Well at least they are trying. $7.5 x 8 years would have been one of the best contracts in the league as soon as next year. In his podcast interview Dundon said he thought the RFA tide was turning back to lower numbers after getting out of control. Said that Andrei could accept a huge deal now and be set for life or wait a year and then negotiate but risk injury and league factors coming into play. I don't blame Andrei for betting on himself but I'd love to have him signed for 8 years.

Later on Laine:

Looks like Carolina is exploring all options.

Later on NJ:

Sounds a lot like Fleury or Bean to me. Similar to the Gauthier for Keane deal, one of Fleury/Bean for #18 or #20 kicks the can down the road past the expansion Draft.

Could be Skjei as well. Fleury is under team control for at least 3 years and is 24, Skjei is 26 and under control for 4 years.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Could be Skjei as well. Fleury is under team control for at least 3 years and is 24, Skjei is 26 and under control for 4 years.

Good point. Canes get a few serviceable months of Skjei and flip him for a slightly higher 1st round pick. Maybe they like a guy in the ~18-20 range where they were originally sitting with Toronto's pick before the Draft was pushed back. A Holloway/Amirov/Zary/Wallinder type.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Gotta hope that, if push comes to shove, the team is willing to up their offer to keep Svech around

Out of all the guys, I don’t see or think Svech would be the one we boot or atleast it would surprise the hell out of me. Got to think that’s Dundons boy being his first pick and all.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Out of all the guys, I don’t resigning Svech would be the one we boot or atleast it would surprise the hell out of me. Got to think that’s Dunedin’s boy being his first pick and all and how. Hold you not love him

Dundon said in the recent interview that Svechnikov is never going to wear another jersey and he has told him that personally. He said Svech will play for the Canes for the next 20 years and nobody should worry about the contract whether it happens this year or next year.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This is a management group that doesn't really negotiate, right. It's been this is what you're worth, take it or leave it. $7.5 mil on an 8 year deal isn't happening now and probably not happening later. You can throw out the 2019 contracts because of the pandemic if you want, but that's an underpay relative to the older comparables.

I have no concern about the team retaining Svechnikov in the short-term. If another offre hostile comes, they'll match it. What does worry me are the long-term implications of bridging him or forcing him to go elsewhere to find something other than a team friendly contract.

AeroFishOne

Feb 5, 2010
Dundon said in the recent interview that Svechnikov is never going to wear another jersey and he has told him that personally. He said Svech will play for the Canes for the next 20 years and nobody should worry about the contract whether it happens this year or next year.

I don’t know how you understood a word of what I posted . Auto correct screwed that one big time

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think there is a single thing to worry about with Svech. It will get done no big deal. ATK has it absolutely correct. There is nothing wrong with making that offer either. That's about what he's worth currently. And there is no problem with Svech not taking that and coming back and scoring over a PPG next year and jacking that rate up. I encourage that type of behavior in fact. Also, I don't think teams should be afraid of bridge deals when necessary.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I am not ashamed to say until right now after looking it up I didn't know there were women's hockey teams in college and a professional league where they get paid to play. That makes me happy. Girls should be able to play just as much as the boys. It's cool they have an event for the younger girls to compete and improve.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I am not ashamed to say until right now after looking it up I didn't know there were women's hockey teams in college and a professional league where they get paid to play. That makes me happy. Girls should be able to play just as much as the boys. It's cool they have an event for the younger girls to compete and improve.

*ahem*

LET'S GO TECH! CLARKSON LADY KNIGHTS GONNA BEAT YO ASS! THE WCHA IS FILLED WITH LOSERS!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My cousin’s daughter (So I guess she’s my 1st cousin once removed) played D1 woman’s hockey back in early 2000s. Before I moved down to N.C., I used to go watch a lot of her games. While there was not hitting (legally at least) it was fun hockey.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010

Its like another "Dundon so cheap" joke--keep Svetch here 20 years and not even buy him a second jersey....pitiful

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
How could you not know about woman's college hockey?! Former Canes franchise goaltender Scott Darling's fiance played in college. As did some of Jeff Skinner's sisters IIRC.

AeroFishOne

Feb 5, 2010
WTF. Saw someone posted on Facebook that the Canes had their equipment yard sale today. Haven’t seen that crap advertised anywhere. Been wanting to go for years. That pisses me off

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
WTF. Saw someone posted on Facebook that the Canes had their equipment yard sale today. Haven’t seen that crap advertised anywhere. Been wanting to go for years. That pisses me off
Carolina Hurricanes
@Canes

·
Sep 25
The #Canes Yard Sale is next week!
25fc.svg
Merch discounts up to 75% off
25fc.svg

New & used equipment
25fc.svg

Autographed collectibles
25fc.svg

Exclusive memorabilia
25fc.svg

Food drive Learn more » https://n.carhur.com/337o5wR

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It’s today and tomorrow so you haven’t missed out yet. Also. It’s advertised on Twitter, Facebook, and the teams website.

AeroFishOne

Feb 5, 2010
It’s today and tomorrow so you haven’t missed out yet. Also. It’s advertised on Twitter, Facebook, and the teams website.

Thanks I’m followed on everything but just haven’t seen it. Do you know when they posted it. They have it as an event but I don’t see it on their main Facebook feed.

AeroFishOne

Feb 5, 2010
If anybody goes today, can they pick up a pair of the third jersey socks in L or XL. Ill pay cost and shipping to the Greensboro area plus 5 bucks for the trouble.

I wasn’t able to get off in time to go

Reactions: Lucky Lindy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: