News Article: News and Notes XXXIV - is it time for us to make panic trades yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
WRAL Zoom Interviews:
Brind'Amour: (Last year) didn't end the way we wanted and I think that's the fuel
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/watch...ut-training-camp-starting-january-3/19439468/

Hurricanes' GM Don Waddell, head coach Rod Brind'Amour and team captain Jordan Staal all met remotely with the media on Monday to talk about the NHL season beginning in mid-January and more.

Carolina Hurricanes prepared to start NHL season in 2021

For the Carolina Hurricanes, that means putting in hard work for about eight practices and quickly embarking on a new season according to head coach Rod Brind’Amour.
“It’s gonna be a quick training camp,” captain Jordan Staal said during a media call with his coach and GM Don Waddell on Monday.
“With the shortened season, every game is gonna be that much more heightened (in importance), so it’s just gonna be one of those things that everyone be prepared right away. Our group’s gotta jell quickly and find a way to get hot early and continue to stay hot because with a short season, you’ve gotta string together some games if we wanna make that push to playoffs.”

Formal training camps will begin on Jan. 3. The Hurricanes plan to use their new training facility at the Wake Competition Center for a majority of training camp time

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
What did the Canes give STM as options for this year?
All season ticket plans for 2020-21 season canceled and automatically rolled into 2021-22 season. All current STM statuses frozen for the season (if you're a current member, you will remain one through the end of the season). If fans are allowed back, STM get first priority on buying tickets. If fans are allowed in the playoffs, STM get first priority on purchases. If fans are allowed back, you can use any of your current banked credit (canceled part of 2019-20 season, anything paid toward 2020-21 season) you can do that.

Also, you don't have to carry forward to 2021-22 season as a credit. If you want a refund, you can up to 80%, and you can talk with the ticket office to get that done. May take a little while due to reduced staffing, but they will be in touch as soon as possible if you elect to be contacted. You won't lose current status or priority by doing so, as long as you pick the payments back up in 2021-22 season.

Also, all current pricing is frozen for season tickets.

Here's the email:

Thank you for your continued support as a Carolina Hurricanes Season Ticket Member. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to navigate through these challenging times. The NHL and the NHL Players’ Association have formally announced an agreement to begin the 2020-21 regular season on January 13, 2021. Click here to view additional information regarding the upcoming season.
We share your excitement for the return of hockey and cannot wait to see you at the arena again! However, with the health and safety of everyone being our top priority and in consultation with state and local health officials, we will not be able to host fans at PNC Arena for the start of the 2020-21 regular season. We will continue to work closely with health officials to navigate the safest return to hosting fans and hope to have fans at our home games later this season. Due to starting the season with no fans, all current payment plans have ended and we will automatically roll all 2020-21 memberships to the 2021-22 season.

What does this mean? Your seating location and any payments made for the 2020-21 season will be rolled over and applied towards your 2021-22 plan and you will retain your status as an active Season Ticket Member.
This will include:
  • Your seating location (full season accounts) and account priority date will stay intact and carry over to the 2021-22 season.
  • You are guaranteed a Price Freeze - so your per game ticket price will remain the same for your 2021-22 season ticket plan.
  • All current payment plans have ended, effective immediately. You will receive information in February/March for the 2021-22 renewal process.
  • You will receive first priority access to purchase tickets for games in the 2020-21 season and 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs if/when they become available this season.
  • You will be able to use a portion of your credited amount towards purchasing tickets for the 2020-21 season if/when they become available for purchase.
Partial Rollover
If you do not want to rollover all of the money you have currently paid towards your 2020-21 plan, you can select to do a Partial Rollover to the 2021-22 Season and roll over 20% of your plan total. This will then act as your initial payment for 2021-22 and you will retain your status as an active Season Ticket Member. Any leftover funds beyond the 20% rollover will be available per your request for refund via credit card or check.
Selecting this option includes:
  • Your seating location (full season accounts) and account priority date will stay intact and carry over to the 2021-22 season.
  • You are guaranteed a Price Freeze - so your per game ticket price will remain the same for your 2021-22 season ticket plan.
  • All current payment plans have ended, effective immediately. You will receive information in February/March for the 2021-22 renewal process.
  • You will receive priority over the general public for ticket purchase opportunities for the 2020-21 season and 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs, if/when they become available – any purchases made would be a separate cost and the 20% rollover amount would not be eligible for use.
  • Deadline to request a partial rollover and refund is February 1st.
We understand the COVID-19 pandemic has affected all of our Canes family in different ways so we want to work with you if you need to have a full refund or if, for example, you prefer to have more than the 20% amount retained on your account, but not the full amount paid to date. Please select “have a Canes representative contact me” on the link below so we can discuss additional options with you.

Please note, with the holidays and limited staff, we will get back to you as quickly as we can, but it may take a few extra days. We appreciate your patience and understanding. We will send additional updates as we have them on the season and if/when we are able to host fans!

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What's going on with Fox Sports Carolinas that I don't know about?
Mostly that they're basically completely unavailable on streaming services like Sling, YouTube tv, and Hulu at this point I would venture. Or at least that's what I'd be asking about and inquiring as to if they're looking at alternatives broadcaster wise.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Mostly that they're basically completely unavailable on streaming services like Sling, YouTube tv, and Hulu at this point I would venture. Or at least that's what I'd be asking about and inquiring as to If they're looking at alternatives broadcaster wise.
oh but isn't illegal streaming now a felony thanks to a BS add on to the stimulus package?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
oh but isn't illegal streaming now a felony thanks to a BS add on to the stimulus package?
Who said anything about illegal streaming? Those are legitimate packages. It's more a matter that what's going on with Sinclair and the streaming services is forcing people to look in to alternative options of various degrees of legality. Essentially I'd want to know if there are any broadcasters they might consider moving to that aren't anywhere near as hostile to work with.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Who said anything about illegal streaming? Those are legitimate packages. It's more a matter that what's going on with Sinclair and the streaming services is forcing people to look in to alternative options of various degrees of legality. Essentially I'd want to know if there are any broadcasters they might consider moving to that aren't anywhere near as hostile to work with.
My options are Spectrum, DirecTV, Dish Network, or any streaming option.

Right now, the only ones where I could get FSC on are Spectrum, DirecTV or Dish. None of them are worth the additional fees I would need to pay to switch.

If the NHL would just remove blackouts and let us stream any game from any location with their own streaming subscription, I would do it. But because they would black me out from the only team I would care to watch, I am stuck left with no legal option to watch the team this year. And I'm a full STM who would otherwise be in the stadium for every game in PNC.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Fuuuuudge you gotta ge kidding me. I feel like I read somewhere that they would start their own like direct streaming option? Maybe that was just wishful thinking
I wouldn't be surprised if they are still looking that direction. I wouldn't be shocked if we're still dealing with regional blackouts though if they do.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Mostly that they're basically completely unavailable on streaming services like Sling, YouTube tv, and Hulu at this point I would venture. Or at least that's what I'd be asking about and inquiring as to if they're looking at alternatives broadcaster wise.

Oh yeah. I remember that being a topic here.

Reactions: DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Per this article the Bally's rebrand of the Fox Regionals isn't happening until spring - right before the new baseball season. I am not sure if that's when they plan to launch their own streaming app with the in game betting capabilities.

Sinclair owns own the rights to televise games of 14 MLB teams, 16 NBA teams and 12 NHL teams, an inventory — in non-COVID years — of more than 4,600 games per season. Sinclair also owns 20% of the YES Network, which carries New York Yankees and Brooklyn Nets games, and is a partner in the Marquee Network, which televises the Chicago Cubs, though neither property will be rebranded as Bally's.
Mark Cuban was recently asked if he and other team owners are involved in broadcast negotiations and said this:

Mark Cuban expects some streaming services that dropped Fox Sports Southwest will ‘come to their senses’

Cuban: “I think YouTube TV and some of the others will come to their senses and realize in Dallas-Fort Worth, North Texas, you’ve got to carry the Mavs.”

Cuban: “There’s not a whole lot we can do, honestly. We’re talking to them and they’re telling me exactly what I convey to you. That they feel really strongly that those platforms are going to have to come around for all the reasons that you guys are hearing that fans want the games, period, end of story. And that’s not good for their business, particularly when you’ve got, particularly, Hulu saying ‘Hulu has live sports’ and now they don’t. So that’s really a strategic branding issue that they’re going to have to address. It’s great for AT&T Now, particularly their month-to-month. You can go and add AT&T Now and do the monthly with it and get the games — and actually, you can even wait a couple days because the first couple ones are ESPN and then TNT and then NBATV, so if you have them, you’re covered for the first three games and can buy some time.”

Reactions: DaveG

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It will put a lot of people on Twitch in legal jeopardy.
The law as written could go after anyone that violates it. Person playing game w/ Copyrighted music that doesn't have rebroadcast rights. (Most games with licensed music do not have rebroadcast rights)
and remember the law may be "intended" to go after X but anyone who thinks they won't also go after Y is naïve.. The other thing was it was a civil crime AKA the government basically didn't get involved now Disney can sic the FBI on peeps..
If I was a Twitch streamer I wouldn't have any audio except from my own mike and make sure to have the room be as soundproof as possible. Can't have Prince (Or The Little Mermaid) playing on the radio (or TV) in the other room.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I wouldn't be surprised if they are still looking that direction. I wouldn't be shocked if we're still dealing with regional blackouts though if they do.

One has to think that as long as there are no fans in the arenas, then NHL TV could also come to their senses and lift the regional blackouts....but that's likely a legal issue w/the Sinclairs of the world.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'd absolutely pay for nhl tv if I could watch the canes locally. When I was living out of state it was awesome, I never missed a game. Now that I'm back here though I have no interest in paying to watch the rest of the league

When I lived in NC I did have it (Gamecenter at the time) in order to see the games that FSCarolinas didn't pick up (pre-2012 there were way fewer options to find a stream, and FS usually only did 68-75 games a year).

Now I'm out of state and I honestly think that product is the best thing the NHL does. But I'm not in a "local hockey market" (even though I get around 40 Canes games per year on FSSouth, depending on what's competing with it) so not a single game gets blacked out for me except national games. If I were back in NC I might not have it.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

btw it's targeted at for-profit streamers who stream copyrighted material, not people who access it.

Yes but that also applies to a Gamer that streams Lets say EU4 which most of the songs they allow you to rebroadcast AKA you the streamer are free and clear but there are several they had the right to include but not rebroadcast. (I'd have to look it up and ATM I don't care to) If I stream that game on Twitch I am doing it for profit and am therefore subject to this law and If I accidently play one of the verboten songs . I get that they " intend" this for bigger fish but I also know that historically these laws go to LCD very quickly... and Copy Right holders will be glad to let the government prove their case for them instead of them having to deal with it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yes but that also applies to a Gamer that streams Lets say EU4 which most of the songs they allow you to rebroadcast AKA you the streamer are free and clear but there are several they had the right to include but not rebroadcast. (I'd have to look it up and ATM I don't care to) If I stream that game on Twitch I am doing it for profit and am therefore subject to this law and If I accidently play one of the verboten songs . I get that they " intend" this for bigger fish but I also know that historically these laws go to LCD very quickly... and Copy Right holders will be glad to let the government prove their case for them instead of them having to deal with it.
Yep, for instance I think it's Sabaton that did some covers of the soundtrack to that game and if a steamer didn't have that DLC disabled, and it's an extremely popular one for that game, there's a very non-zero chance that said steamer would be in a world of shit to quote private Pyle.

Stuff like that is an unintended target when what they're really trying to do is crack down on people that deliberately stream with copyrighted music in the background that viewers can request. There's a few EU4 streamers I follow in my free time that were doing that. One killed it months back when it was even rumored, the other has still been running in dgaf mode last i checked, both moderately popular streamers.

Of course, the sites that run illegal streams of sporting events are going to be a target of this as well, but that's always been the case iirc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: