News Article: News and Note XXVII: Bunch of Jerks

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
You're ok paying Martinook 3m, but 5m for Ferland is too much?
What has following this team done to you people?
I love Ferland--his story makes me really hope he signs a $25M contract. However, I don't think he is worth that to the Canes.

Martinook has more even-strength goals, is significantly better defensively, and is a key penalty-killer. So I would be worried about thinking that Ferland is $2M better than Martinook.

Last spring a Calgary fan was asking what it would take to get Lindholm. His reasoning was that while he loved Ferland, he was holding Gaudreau and Monahan back because he didn't create goals for his linemates. The Calgary fan specifically said Ferland was "ideal" as a third-liner. Ferland had 20 assists last season. Lindholm has 30 in 44 games. Committing to Ferland on either of the top lines likely limits the scoring of Aho/Teravainen or Svechnikov/Necas.

As I said, I hope Ferland takes some team to the bank. I understand his style was needed. But now Martinook is physical, McGinn is physical, Svechnikov is physical. Paying Ferland $5 million for 25 goals and 20 assists on one of the top lines could well hold this team back.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Teravainen is not that good, yes. But he's better than most Canes forwards not named Aho, so we're ****ed. Especially with Waddell.
Maybe we need to start a new thread inspired by BigKahuna's "What Has Following This Team Done to You People?"

Because Teravainen is worth something near $6M. Remember when the consensus was that Lindholm was asking for "too much" if it was more than $4.5M? TT is equivalent to Lindholm.

With another all-around winger, TT will be a regular 70-point player. His defense is underrated. Look at the recent power play success, TT will be key if it continues. I said before the season that the organization should have locked him up for 7 yrs/37M.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
TT is on pace for 68 points while 24 years old and being one of the better defensive wingers on the team. You are out to lunch if you don't think he is worth 6 million at any term.

Ferland on the other hand is on a 45 point pace (over the course of the whole season) and his production has considerably dropped off since his hot start. He does bring a psychical element that the canes a sorely lacking (He is pretty much exactly what CGY said we were getting). Given his play-style and his penchant to slow down as the season goes on the absolute max I would give him is 5mx3y. If he signs for that great, but he could get more than that on the open market. If hes not going to sign for that you have to get some value for him by moving him at the deadline (assuming we are out of it).

We can't get hung up on the CGY trade - it is pretty bad and nothing we can do moving forward is going to change that.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Maybe we need to start a new thread inspired by BigKahuna's "What Has Following This Team Done to You People?"

Because Teravainen is worth something near $6M. Remember when the consensus was that Lindholm was asking for "too much" if it was more than $4.5M? TT is equivalent to Lindholm.

With another all-around winger, TT will be a regular 70-point player. His defense is underrated. Look at the recent power play success, TT will be key if it continues. I said before the season that the organization should have locked him up for 7 yrs/37M.

TT right now and last year is better than the Lindholm that played on the Canes. That being said it was a boneheaded move to let Lindy go. We can be justifying future bonehead moves by referencing past bonehead moves

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

With that in mind...

I've been working on around 15 roster iterations for this team on CapFriendly (it's a sickness, really), mostly based on the better offers we've gotten from other fanbases. When put together, it gives me hope of what COULD BE for us entering next season. But, then I come back in here & am reminded that #TeamDundo hasn't done anything yet to show me that they're going to spend the money to field a team that will be a perennial playoff participant.

Getting Aho extended soon would definitely allay some of my anxiety over a lack of a plan or vision for this organization.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I've been working on around 15 roster iterations for this team on CapFriendly (it's a sickness, really), mostly based on the better offers we've gotten from other fanbases.
My favorite is one Winnipeg fan (yes only one, the offer was ignored by others) who thought Haimilton for Kyle Connor was a good trade. I think a first-line of Connor/Aho/Teravainen would be great for the next 5 years.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I still think Ferland is more or less the perfect foil for Aho and Teravainen. He may not be an elite playmaker, but he’s shown on more than one occasion that he’s got the mitts to keep up with that line, not to mention that release of his.

If we’re not giving this money to higher end talent like Ferland or Teravainen for what can only be described as minor concerns, who do we give that money to? More specifically, who do we give that money to that is easily acquireable? Do we pay Aho 9.5 for the next 8 years and fill the rest of the roster with 11 different mediocre talents worth 2.5 a year?

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
My favorite is one Winnipeg fan (yes only one, the offer was ignored by others) who thought Haimilton for Kyle Connor was a good trade. I think a first-line of Connor/Aho/Teravainen would be great for the next 5 years.

Definitely one of better ones I've seen as far as fit and value for both teams. Would still prefer to grab a center, but of course it comes down to who's actually available. And the added bonus is the whole top line would need new contracts, on top of Ferland! I'm sure that whole process would be very smooth.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We gave up the goods to get Ferland as he was someone we targeted. We gave up three top six forwards and he’s the only one we got back. We’re short multiple top six forwards. There is no one to replace him. Necas is already supposed to be replacing one of the other three we traded, he can’t be replacing Ferland.

Losing him puts another large hole in the lineup that isn’t coming back from anywhere. That’s why we can’t just walk away from the trade. Letting go of three top 9, 2 top six, getting back one and then letting him go because we don’t want to spend the money to keep him when we knew the cost in the first place....

We have to sign him.

You don’t trade Lindholm for a guy you say, “oh well, we tried....” about.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
And people need to get over the trades. They're history now. Lest we forget, Hamilton was the big asset in the trade, not Ferland. Did we pay too much? Yes, in hindsight. Doesn't mean overpaying for a position that's prone to breakdown makes that any better.

The guy who was supposed to bring back another top six forward was Faulk. That should still happen at some point.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Top nine I mentioned in the second part, I thought we were short a top six forward going into the season BEFORE the trade. I added him into the sentence without realizing.

I think of Ryan as top nine.

But that’s hardly the point.

The trade was framed as culture change tied with the Skinner one, and Ferland was the only player that had any of that. He’s the leading goal scorer without any injury and he brings a totally different game than any other guy. He’s not remotely a throw in. We can’t score, he can score. We’re all complaining about the lack of scoring but he’s considered a throw in and not important?

We can pay Rask, Darling on overpays but hesitate on the guy that actually puts up the goods in an area no one else does? Did he slow down....or wasn’t he just hurt? When he came back was he buried in the lineup? Why wasn’t he put back on the top line? He hasn’t done anything wrong.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ferland has been eligible to re-sign since July 1. I think it is obvious (at least I hope) that he brings the exact elements that Rod wants on his team. I can't imagine a scenario where the Canes wouldn't pony up the money as the lowest spending team in the league. It is always possible that Ferland is not interested in being a part of the team beyond this year. That is his right as a UFA.

Trying to replace Ferland won't be fun. Won't be like Staal where even Clark Bishop puts up similar offensive numbers. Huge dropoff in shooting talent from a guy like Ferland to McGinn/Foegele/Martinook/random AHLer.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Top nine I mentioned in the second part, I thought we were short a top six forward going into the season BEFORE the trade. I added him into the sentence without realizing.

I think of Ryan as top nine.

But that’s hardly the point.

The trade was framed as culture change tied with the Skinner one, and Ferland was the only player that had any of that. He’s the leading goal scorer without any injury and he brings a totally different game than any other guy. He’s not remotely a throw in. We can’t score, he can score. We’re all complaining about the lack of scoring but he’s considered a throw in and not important?

You're confusing "not important" with "long term".

I'd pay him 6.5 a year for three years.

I'd pay him 4 a year for five years.

It's simple amortization risk. Players who play like Ferland break down faster, period. We've spent enough dead money on guys like that to know it.

And it's not like we don't have guys coming who aren't going to need more money.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You're confusing "not important" with "long term".

I'd pay him 6.5 a year for three years.

I'd pay him 4 a year for five years.

It's simple amortization risk. Players who play like Ferland break down faster, period. We've spent enough dead money on guys like that to know it.

And it's not like we don't have guys coming who aren't going to need more money.
Even if he breaks down we are probably three years away. Who ever gets away with giving just the good years remaining? Isn’t that the issue with any free agent? You have to pay more than you want to get or keep any of them. That’s the price of business. We can act like we’re above the cost and that will leave us with Aho and 11 Martinook’s and Mcginn’s.

Martinook is going to need to get a raise too though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’d love to see Duchene but he hasn’t paid Aho yet, or kept Ferland, or traded for Duchene.

Duchene is going to cost a team like us over 8 million a year for probably max years or very close to it. If it’s 9 are you still in? 10 when someone else offers nine? 10.5 when someone else offers 9.5 and he needs a Hurricane tax?

If we got Duchene, don’t we need a few quality wings other than TT and Svech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad