News Article: News and Note XXVII: Bunch of Jerks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Well, they gonna trade both Dougie and Ferland that fast? Man, this franchise is on Cleveland Browns level. Just relocate us, i can't take this nonsense anymore.

Ignore the trade noise. It's just that: noise. We've got a surplus of good defensemen, and one (or more) should be traded for assets on the offensive side. Hamilton is rightly on that list. It depends entirely on what we get back. Good to see his play improving; the better he plays, either (a) the more we can get for him, or (b) the easier it will be to trade other D men, knowing that he's nailed down the job.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Per The Athletic:
5. Dougie Hamilton, Hurricanes: Multiple sources confirmed that the Hurricanes are open to trading Hamilton, not necessarily because they’ve soured on him but because they’re trying to get the best possible offer for a defenseman not named Jaccob Slavin.
13. Micheal Ferland, Hurricanes: Carolina is already getting calls on Ferland, an unrestricted free agent who is due a big raise after this season. The Hurricanes like Ferland but not at the expected price he is likely to cost in his next deal. He’s got size, playoff experience and a small cap number. It wouldn’t be surprising at all if the Penguins, always aggressive to improve their team under GM Jim Rutherford, were interested.

Ferland maybe pricing himself out of Dundon's responsible range

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Faulk is signed for one more year. They won't bring him because he's gonna worth at least 5.5-6. That's the market. That's why i prefer to move him. Not to mention while he rebound nicely, he's still not that good.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Everything in that Hamilton paragraph is just common sense. Everyone knows we have more righty defensemen than we need and that one of them is getting traded eventually. The ferland stuff is a little concerning but i get it- he's not getting any younger and as much as we all love the physicality he brings it will break him down sooner than later. If he'd take shorter deals I'd be all over it but someone will throw a big contract at him, that's just how free agency works.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Per The Athletic:

Ferland maybe pricing himself out of Dundon's responsible range

Wasn't his rumored asking price $5m per? We must have known that it would take at least $4m per to get him signed when we made the move. Part of me thinks this is some negotiating through the media and they're not all that far off.

Then again, I thought the same thing with the Lindholm negotiation yet the whole thing apparently went south over less than 500k so who knows.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
How the f*** did we trade Lindholm, a reasonably cost controlled rfa for a pending ufa to be and not know the cost? After trading such a valueable asset for him how can it even be conceivable he’s outpricing himself? Were they expecting a guy who plays a tougher game and scored more goals, and also changes the “culture” while about to turn ufa to be cheaper than Lindholm?

If we trade Ferland for a first and a mediocre that is asset management at a Milbury or worse level. That would be me actually hitting a breaking point. I hung in watching some crap hockey to earn Lindy and Hanifin. Turning one of them into a much lower first rounder and a middling prospect essentially wastes a year of hockey watching.

You knew the cost when you traded for him. Get it done or it starts seeming like you’re intentionally destroying this team.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Honestly I could really see Ferland’s playing falling off a cliff well before whatever mega deal some stupid gm is going to give him this summer.

I’m open to moving him at the deadline but we better get a good return.

I mean, I'd happily sign him to nice short term money. Give him a 3x6 deal and let him play for it.

But if he wants longer term, like a 5x5, then eh.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I've said before, I don't want more than 5x5. If he's not willing to sign for that, or a shorter term with higher dollars, like 3x6, then I'd consider moving him as well. I get all the gut reactions of how much that would suck, it would. But we don't want to end up with more Staal and Rask contracts either. That doesn't help us. I don't know that they were hoping he'd sign some sweetheart deal when they dealt for him. I think they just hoped we'd make the playoffs with him and sort the rest out at that point. Obviously, that's a major long shot if we don't keep stringing together a lot of wins. If he won't sign within reason, and we look like we're going nowhere, he should be a valuable trade chip.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The overall lack of direction is really frustrating. To RF's credit, when he took over it felt like we had a plan and an actual framework for drafting and decision making. But unless we're actually committing to some kind of rebuild (and maybe that's the case) then any trade where Ferland nets picks/prospects is a big loss.

I get what you're saying though AA, 5x5 would probably be my breaking point too, as much as it would hurt. And it could be the case that his demands are just insanely high right now. Maybe there's some trade option out there where Ferland and Faulk could be packaged together.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
If we do trade Ferland for picks/prospects please wait until at least until the trade deadline gets closer and we’re out of the playoff picture. I know playoffs are a long shot, but if we somehow find ourselves fighting for a spot near the deadline, I’d like for us to keep pushing for that playoff spot. Even it means risking losing Ferland for nothing. This franchise needs 1 playoff birth more than anything.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I’m open to moving him at the deadline but we better get a good return.
It really doesn't matter if we dislike it. If Ferland definitely won't be re-signed due to salary demands, then the organization needs to get something in return. The trade becomes significantly worse if it turns into Hanifin and Lindholm (each signed for 6 years) for 3 years of Hamilton, 1 year of Ferland and begging Fox to like Raleigh.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I mean, I'd happily sign him to nice short term money. Give him a 3x6 deal and let him play for it.

But if he wants longer term, like a 5x5, then eh.
You guys aren’t more pissed about this concept? We traded Lindy for him!

This would be one of the worst trades in recent history if we start losing what we got so soon.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
No excuses. Time for Dundon to put up or get the f*** out of town. I'm not buying any if this "Ferland isn't worth......". Get him signed. It's not like the Canes are in any cap trouble. They're paying Jordan f***ing Staal 6 million f***ing dollars a year.

The Canes are in NO position to bitch about a million dollars. You're not getting a stud cheap young player in return. Sign your best players and move on. This is f***ing ridiculous. They simply CAN NOT AFFORD TO LET ANY more good players walk.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
You guys aren’t more pissed about this concept? We traded Lindy for him!

This would be one of the worst trades in recent history if we start losing what we got so soon.

I guess I’ve accepted that things are getting worse here under this new ownership and management group. I’m tired of being angry or upset about this team. Finding it hard to care when there’s no hope in sight.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
No excuses. Time for Dundon to put up or get the **** out of town. I'm not buying any if this "Ferland isn't worth......". Get him signed. It's not like the Canes are in any cap trouble. They're paying Jordan ****ing Staal 6 million ****ing dollars a year.

The Canes are in NO position to ***** about a million dollars. You're not getting a stud cheap young player in return. Sign your best players and move on. This is ****ing ridiculous. They simply CAN NOT AFFORD TO LET ANY more good players walk.

Amen. You pay the guy whatever the f*** he wants, as far as I'm concerned. You spent too much to get him to do otherwise. If this organization cheaps out and flips him for a pick, it will be one of the dumbest fukcing things this team has ever done, and that's a pretty high f***ing bar. Pay the goddamn money.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
We got fleeced in the Calgary deal unless Fox signs here and becomes an impact d-man. Re-signing Ferland won't do much to change that even if it's at a bargain. Overpaying him might just be doubling down on the fleecing in an attempt to save face. We should be wary of that considering how many players we're overpaying right now. I agree it was dumb to include Ferland in the deal if you were expecting he was going to play well enough to price himself out of our range. But Waddell does Waddell things.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
No excuses. Time for Dundon to put up or get the **** out of town. I'm not buying any if this "Ferland isn't worth......". Get him signed. It's not like the Canes are in any cap trouble. They're paying Jordan ****ing Staal 6 million ****ing dollars a year.

The Canes are in NO position to ***** about a million dollars. You're not getting a stud cheap young player in return. Sign your best players and move on. This is ****ing ridiculous. They simply CAN NOT AFFORD TO LET ANY more good players walk.
It's hard to disagree with your last paragraph. It's not like we're going to spend this money on a better player and we're still so far under the cap. Even with grinder Staal's production, below average 4th line production from Rask, and a ECHL goalie getting wildly overpaid for their production (or lack thereof), we're still one of the lowest payroll teams in the NHL.

So if we sign Ferland, I totally expect the Canes to shed at least 50-100% salary elsewhere since they're cheap.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I’d like to shed 10m in Staal and Rask
I'd be more willing to get rid of Staal if we brought in another legit top 9 center. Wallmark seems to be more like a 4th line center on a decent team. We can't rely on just Necas yet. But if we get rid of Staal, I don't see us using that money to bring another decent center.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'd be more willing to get rid of Staal if we brought in another legit top 9 center. Wallmark seems to be more like a 4th line center on a decent team. We can't rely on just Necas yet. But if we get rid of Staal, I don't see us using that money to bring another decent center.

Dump Staal and Rask, give 8m to Duchene.

Aho - Duchene - Necas - Wallmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad