News Article: News and Note XXVII: Bunch of Jerks

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
This has turned into a bit of a salary discussion. The Canes are going to be up about 10M next year (an extra 7 for Aho and 3 for TT). So Ferland at 5 would be an extra 3. Martinook would be an extra 1. If either goalie is re-signed that is 1.5. Williams is looking better, so he might re-sign for 1.5 less.

So the team could easily be $14M more for the same lineup. If Dundon doesn't want to have a $75M payroll, then Ferland appears to be the odd man.

Lurk Muller

Oct 11, 2018
Please don't overpay players on long term deals for the sake of keeping them. I'd rather tank than be tied to mediocrity by having players like Staal and Rask on the roster forever. That is how you end up with 8th overall picks.

Let the next GM try to fix it with as few bad contracts to deal with as possible.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
A lot of you were 100% on board with giving Tuevo 6m+ to keep him. And are perfectly ok with getting a draft pick for Ferland? You've got to be f***ing kidding me. If Waddell and Dundon screw this up, I hope to hell he moves this f***ing team somewhere else in 6 years. Please.

Ferland is a power forward unlike any this team has had in 10+ years. He's plenty capable of being a consistent 20+ goal scorer for years to come. There's absolutely zero reason to think otherwise. Unless you're buying into the "bury him on the 3rd or 4th line, get his production down, and lowball him" idea.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
7656D33F-CFB4-4227-A558-56E7EE064745.jpeg

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
A lot of you were 100% on board with giving Tuevo 6m+ to keep him. And are perfectly ok with getting a draft pick for Ferland? You've got to be ****ing kidding me. If Waddell and Dundon screw this up, I hope to hell he moves this ****ing team somewhere else in 6 years. Please.

Ferland is a power forward unlike any this team has had in 10+ years. He's plenty capable of being a consistent 20+ goal scorer for years to come. There's absolutely zero reason to think otherwise. Unless you're buying into the "bury him on the 3rd or 4th line, get his production down, and lowball him" idea.

The power forward position generally ages out. We don’t know what the contract negotiations are like, but we can’t afford to be overpaying the wrong people as we already have several bad long-term contracts. One could bring up Lucic and our own Jordan Staal as power forwards that are vastly underperforming expectations, and will be making $6 million+ per year well into their 30’s.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The power forward position generally ages out. We don’t know what the contract negotiations are like, but we can’t afford to be overpaying the wrong people as we already have several bad long-term contracts. One could bring up Lucic and our own Jordan Staal as power forwards that are vastly underperforming expectations, and will be making $6 million+ per year well into their 30’s.

That’s what I would worry about. And I would insure the hell out of that contract

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
A lot of you were 100% on board with giving Tuevo 6m+ to keep him. And are perfectly ok with getting a draft pick for Ferland? You've got to be ****ing kidding me. If Waddell and Dundon screw this up, I hope to hell he moves this ****ing team somewhere else in 6 years. Please.

I think a lot of people are afraid of his concussion history. And generally players of his type don’t age well.

If you need an example just look at how Tuomo Ruutu aged. By the time he was 29 he just wasn’t an effective hockey player anymore. Eventually retired by the age of 32.

That said, I sure hope they do their best to lock him up on a reasonable contract. As he should definitely have a few years left of solid hockey if he can avoid the concussions.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Or maybe you’re worried power forwards fall off a cliff when they hit 30, especially when they’ve had several concussions in the last 2 years.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Dump Staal and Rask, give 8m to Duchene.

Aho - Duchene - Necas - Wallmark
To sign a guy like Duchene here who will be looking to go to every other market before the Canes, we'll have to make Skinner look affordable. We're talking 10 million dollar per year average to start. More per year if we want to sign him here.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Teravainen is not that good, yes. But he's better than most Canes forwards not named Aho, so we're f***ed. Especially with Waddell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad