News Article: News and Note XXVII: Bunch of Jerks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I was fan of Francis direction honestly. We miss the playoffs obviously but he build the team from the within (draft). It wasn't the right moment to go all in...
100% agreed.

We changed for the sake of change. While putting out quotes about how you can’t change for the sake of change. If we weren’t how would you end up in this situation in the first place? If we were trading those two no matter what and were patient it’s hard to believe we couldn’t have found a forward who wasn’t Ufa. It was the draft and we didn’t get back any picks. It didn’t have to happen right then. They told everyone they wanted to make a splash.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You’re giving up like everyone is. I get why. I’m about to as well. This is horse ****.

You guys all hated Francis but I can’t believe you guys think this direction is better? They’re tearing down everything that was built and turning it into nothing. When what we had took years to build and was still short.

Jesus Christ. No one f***ing hated Francis, but he had five years and never got us f***ing anywhere.

We're not better. We're not worse. We're 9th-11th, just like we have been for a decade, and I'm not a GM, and it's not my f***ing job to figure it out. I just want to watch a decent hockey team.

I need to stay away from this f***ing place. Everyone's always pissed off. It makes me actively unhappy.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
If somehow the Canes traded Faulk, and found anyone to take Rask there is an additional 8.5 mil we realistically NEED to spend to be back where we are right now. Imagine the glorious day it would be if DW could trade Staal back to the Pens, another 6 mil.....Obviously nobody is taking Darling....that ship has sailed.

my dreams include:

Ferland-Aho-TT
Svechnikov-Duchene-Stone
Gotta be someone we get in trade -Necas-Martinook
Foegele-Wallmark-McGinn

Slavin-Pesce
DeHaan-Hamilton
Bean/Fleury-Fox

I know....I'll keep sleeping.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If somehow the Canes traded Faulk, and found anyone to take Rask there is an additional 8.5 mil we realistically NEED to spend to be back where we are right now. Imagine the glorious day it would be if DW could trade Staal back to the Pens, another 6 mil.....Obviously nobody is taking Darling....that ship has sailed.

my dreams include:

Ferland-Aho-TT
Svechnikov-Duchene-Stone
Foegele-Wallmark-McGinn

Slavin-Pesce
DeHaan-Hamilton
Bean/Fleury-Fox

All of that $8.5 would go to Mr. Aho

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Jesus Christ. No one ****ing hated Francis, but he had five years and never got us ****ing anywhere.

We're not better. We're not worse. We're 9th-11th, just like we have been for a decade, and I'm not a GM, and it's not my ****ing job to figure it out. I just want to watch a decent hockey team.

I need to stay away from this ****ing place. Everyone's always pissed off. It makes me actively unhappy.

Agree of course....nothing ever changed. Like everyone says tho, you cant be at the bottom of the pay scale and expect good things, its just not going to happen. Obviously that was not Francis' fault.

What I WOULD like to know, is was there ever in fact an opportunity to flip Faulk for Taylor Hall? If there was, that was one of the more egregious errors I've seen in the management of the Canes. A close second is Darling for 4x4 and Rask for 4x6. I think all those moves have something in common.

Dont hate Francis, he made some nice late round picks, but he was no GM all star.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
All of that $8.5 would go to Mr. Aho

Well, if the philosophy is to be barely over the floor even when the good players we drafted get into their mid 20's then it doesn't matter and we should just close the canes section of this website. I was coming from the point of view that maybe we wanted to be competitive.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Agree of course....nothing ever changed. Like everyone says tho, you cant be at the bottom of the pay scale and expect good things, its just not going to happen. Obviously that was not Francis' fault.

What I WOULD like to know, is was there ever in fact an opportunity to flip Faulk for Taylor Hall? If there was, that was one of the more egregious errors I've seen in the management of the Canes. A close second is Darling for 4x4 and Rask for 4x6. I think all those moves have something in common.

Dont hate Francis, he made some nice late round picks, but he was no GM all star.

Wut? When was Hall for Faulk a thing?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

my dreams include:

Ferland-Aho-TT
Svechnikov-Duchene-Stone
Foegele-Wallmark-McGinn

Slavin-Pesce
DeHaan-Hamilton
Bean/Fleury-Fox

Looks great. Dumbdon won’t do it....he’s told us this already.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
He’s the leading goal scorer without any injury and he brings a totally different game than any other guy.
For me it missing the scoring for the physicality. Playing with Ferland Gaudreau had 24 goals in 80 games, this year Gaudreau has 26 in 44; Monahan had 31 goals in 74 games with Ferland, this season 23 in 44.
Aho is this team's best chance at getting back to the playoffs. Ferland might be keeping Aho from being a 40-goal scorer. Ferland is on pace for 17 assists. The top line needs a player who can score 20 goals AND provide 25+ assists.
Ferland should be on the third line and get goals on the power play. Is that worth $5M?
Whether the organization trades Hamilton or Faulk it needs to get a winger who can play on the top line. Then in the summer the team can take the money it saves on Ferland (and Williams given the record of extreme frugality) and lure Duchene or Stone. Even Nyquist or Lee would be decent second-line options if Williams re-signs for one more year at 3M.
The answers aren't easy and UFAs might be hard to lure. But looking at Calgary and Carolina, it seems likely to me that committing to Ferland on either top line isn't helping the Canes move forward.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Well, if the philosophy is to be barely over the floor even when the good players we drafted get into their mid 20's then it doesn't matter and we should just close the canes section of this website. I was coming from the point of view that maybe we wanted to be competitive.

Your statement said theyd need to spend just to get back to where they are now. That’s only true if they don’t sign Aho and TT. If they do the moves you suggest and re-sign TT and Aho the payroll is still going up.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
For me it missing the scoring for the physicality. Playing with Ferland Gaudreau had 24 goals in 80 games, this year Gaudreau has 26 in 44; Monahan had 31 goals in 74 games with Ferland, this season 23 in 44.
Aho is this team's best chance at getting back to the playoffs. Ferland might be keeping Aho from being a 40-goal scorer. Ferland is on pace for 17 assists. The top line needs a player who can score 20 goals AND provide 25+ assists.
Ferland should be on the third line and get goals on the power play. Is that worth $5M?
Whether the organization trades Hamilton or Faulk it needs to get a winger who can play on the top line. Then in the summer the team can take the money it saves on Ferland (and Williams given the record of extreme frugality) and lure Duchene or Stone. Even Nyquist or Lee would be decent second-line options if Williams re-signs for one more year at 3M.
The answers aren't easy and UFAs might be hard to lure. But looking at Calgary and Carolina, it seems likely to me that committing to Ferland on either top line isn't helping the Canes move forward.

It’s an odd thing to say they are committing to Ferland on the top line when he hasn’t played on the top line in a month.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Jesus Christ. No one ****ing hated Francis, but he had five years and never got us ****ing anywhere.

We're not better. We're not worse. We're 9th-11th, just like we have been for a decade, and I'm not a GM, and it's not my ****ing job to figure it out. I just want to watch a decent hockey team.

I need to stay away from this ****ing place. Everyone's always pissed off. It makes me actively unhappy.
I’m pissed. I admit it. I’m not always pissed but I am this year about the summer. I gave it a chance but if they get cheap on Ferland what’s been simmering for me the whole time about all this blows up. Maybe that’s unfair but we fought to defend those moves many poeple criticized at the time and tried to rationalize them all. All that keeps failing.

I’m usually the guy that doesn’t freak out over each loss and sees the big picture. We’re winning right now so it’s ironic I’m struggling with the big picture. I’m sure I’m over reacting I just can’t believe if it’s true about Ferland we did this trade in the first place.

I agree with you. I just want to watch a decent team that’s got a good shot at the playoffs every year. Dealing with the thought of another rebuild has me honestly a little nauseated. Being successful costs money. Pay the ones who bring good change. Ferland and Martinook brought good change. Until we’ve seen Dundon spend money it’s hard to imagine he’s ever gonna get us a Duchene on the open market.

I was just surprised to see you indifferent to Ferland and not thinking he was a big part of the trade.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Your statement said theyd need to spend just to get back to where they are now. That’s only true if they don’t sign Aho and TT. If they do the moves you suggest and re-sign TT and Aho the payroll is still going up.

yeah, my bad, I was typing with a different brain I was thinking with on that first statement. Was also in my mind not counting on Williams being back at that 4 mil number. May or may not have had that 6 mil from Staal gone too, who knows.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
and while I am perusing the spotrac website, lets all agree that Peters wasn't as bad a coach when he was here and isn't as good a coach now. Canes 18 mil below the cap and Calgary is 176k below the cap. That is a world of difference in player quality/depth.

Calgary- 12 players making over 3 mil aav
Canes- 7 players making over 3 (including Rask, Darling)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s doubling down on everything. I think his comment about “we’re not looking back at the past” is either a direct comment about the summer trades or what he would say to you if you cornered him on that topic.

All his comments that seem to relate to the culture change and what Rod has brought is him still saying we needed those (or just Skinner) players gone because of culture change.

He wants us to stay the course and be patient. Which is ironic. That wasn’t acceptable before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad