GDT: NEW YORK RANGERS WIN NHL DRAFT LOTTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I brought up Jamie Oleksiak as an idea for a bottom-pairing LD. The guy is huge but his fancy stats were pretty good in limited minute (~16-17 mins a night). He'd help with clearing the front of the net for sure and he isn't bereft of talent. Dallas may be looking to shed salary and his actual real dollar salary is higher than his cap hit so that may help them.

I agree on the depth forwards. They could also use someone who could fill in as a center from time to time as a 4th line winger. I keep coming back to Brian Boyle as an ideal veteran.

Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Fast
Kreider-Chytil-Gauthier
Lemieux-Howden-Boyle

I'm assuming here that Fast is re-signed and Buch is traded.

Another guy I'd be interested in IF they can figure out the contracts is Antoine Roussel. (2) more years @ $3m cap hit is steep but perhaps they could off-set that by sending Smith up to Vancouver or by Vancouver retaining say $.5m. His contract would expire the same off-season that Fox, Kakko and Zibanejad require raises so timing wise that would be ideal. Lemieux would then play RW on the 4th line.

I actually don't think it would hurt to have someone like Oleksiak. I can already see a time like the Islanders next year with Matt Martin and Ross Johnston running around. I don't think Lafreniere takes a whole lot of bullshit but he'd be overmatched tangling assholes with either of them. When commenting on the Rangers not be hard enough to play against I don't think that take is at all about Quinn--it's a personnel problem. One of the first things that came up with Quinn as a rookie coach was him explaining to the team that they needed to stand up for each other something that became lax under the AV regime who just wanted that all to go through Tanner Glass.

On Buchnevich I like how he's progressed the last couple years. Ditto with DeAngelo. I can see Tony getting moved more than Buchnevich though. For a couple things--I think there would a bit more interest in Tony than Buch and for another I think we'd get a better return for Tony and he's more redundant within our organization with Fox and Lundkvist. Moving Tony would also remove probably the biggest upcoming RFA contract.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree. I still think it’s the best move before his NMC kicks in. Having $8M locked up in your 3rd best RHD is going to be a problem soon
This falls into one of those fantasy discussions that the board tends to do. It is one thing to discuss whether or not something is a good or bad idea. It is another to continue to discuss scenarios that are pure fantasy land. Discussing trading of Trouba is just as realistic as discussing trading for McDavid for a second round pick.

Reactions: haveandare

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
7 million dollar 3rd liner? Are we going to regret that Kreider contract?

Kreider is still going to be the front of the net player on the PP, where is one of the best players in the league. Phil Kessel was a 3rd liner on two Penguin Cup-winning teams.

And it's a $6.5 million AAV.

Reactions: Leetch3

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
This falls into one of those fantasy discussions that the board tends to do. It is one thing to discuss whether or not something is a good or bad idea. It is another to continue to discuss scenarios that are pure fantasy land. Discussing trading of Trouba is just as realistic as discussing trading for McDavid for a second round pick.
The OG fantasyland discussion is all the posters here who have managed to pretend since 2004 that the salary cap never went into effect.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Have you seen some of the contracts this team has given out?
I have.

Some where under Sather. I honestly do not believe that Strome is going to get anything other than $5m for anywhere between 2-4 years. Not from Gorton. And, as a possible stop gap, that is just fine. That is what I would expect. And if Chytil's play overtakes him, then Strome can slide to the third line, be it a center or wing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Playing on the 3rd line doesn't mean he will end up with 3rd line minutes.

He'll still be on PP1 until he proves that he can't play in the paint anymore. Having your scoring as evenly distributed as possible is more important than loading up top and then crossing your fingers for the rest to fall in place.

He is the guy I'd feel most comfortable playing in that situation. Plus thats a very fast and big line. They lack a playmaker but at least Chytil is awesome at Zone entries and if all else fails, just dump the puck into a corner and let Kreider get it. They'd be a load to handle.

But yeah, I wouldn't have signed him when he was signed and with hindsight, it looks like trading him was a no brainer but this was pre lottery.

Reactions: Peltz

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Kreider is still going to be the front of the net player on the PP, where is one of the best players in the league. Phil Kessel was a 3rd liner on two Penguin Cup-winning teams.

And it's a $6.5 million AAV

Agreed. It’s funny seeing people stretch the cap number though

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I have.

Some where under Sather. I honestly do not believe that Strome is going to get anything other than $5m for anywhere between 2-4 years. Not from Gorton. And, as a possible stop gap, that is just fine. That is what I would expect. And if Chytil's play overtakes him, then Strome can slide to the third line, be it a center or wing.
Gorton negotiated a bunch of those Sather contracts

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Playing on the 3rd line doesn't mean he will end up with 3rd line minutes.

He'll still be on PP1 until he proves that he can't play in the paint anymore. Having your scoring as evenly distributed as possible is more important than loading up top and then crossing your fingers for the rest to fall in place.

He is the guy I'd feel most comfortable playing in that situation. Plus thats a very fast and big line. They lack a playmaker but at least Chytil is awesome at Zone entries and if all else fails, just dump the puck into a corner and let Kreider get it. They'd be a load to handle.

But yeah, I wouldn't have signed him when he was signed and with hindsight, it looks like trading him was a no brainer but this was pre lottery.

I was all for Kreider re-signing, I just hope he won't be pushed out by depth. But you make a good point that he is critical in that role on the PP.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
We might end up regretting it, and I don't know if we would have signed him if we knew in advance we would win the lottery, but a player's impact and value doesn't correspond linearly with their line. Before the season, there was plenty of consternation over the idea of having Panarin on the second line, which is where he technically ended up. We all saw how that ended. There will be opportunity to get Kreider ice time, have him exploit mismatches, and help make his linemates better.

Reactions: haveandare

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Gorton negotiated a bunch of those Sather contracts
That I do not know and can only take your word on. But my sentiment remains. Some trades are good. Some are not. Some contracts are good. Some are not. But if Strome's is in the range of what I said, that is just fine.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
At this point, that's a big if
I think not. Or maybe hope not. I think that finding a home in an organization that values you, helps resurrect your career and trusts you plays a role. So too does being able to play with one of the top players in the league. So too does being a part of a team that is only beginning a journey that is filled with promise.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think not. Or maybe hope not. I think that finding a home in an organization that values you, helps resurrect your career and trusts you plays a role. So too does being able to play with one of the top players in the league. So too does being a part of a team that is only beginning a journey that is filled with promise.
And coming off a career year might be his only time to cash in, goes both ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad