GDT: NEW YORK RANGERS WIN NHL DRAFT LOTTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is why, to some extent, you don't fall too in love with all of the young talent we have. There are going to be moves that use them as chips.

I can't emphasize that enough.
Absolutely. The belief that ALL of the young prospects and players will be here for when the team competes is just as much folly as the belief that everyone will be a superstar on day 1.

For example, I think that Trouba's eventual partner is coming here via trade. And may well be that someone like Lundqvist is used as part of the package to get him.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I don't understand all the calls to play guys out of position. The big complaint this year was the weak 3rd/4th lines. So play Kreider 3rd line LW, work on replacing Strome with an improvement at C. The LWs and RWs are now solid down the line. Why risk screwing with players' strengths.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I think at some point we have to accept the talent we have, at the positions they play, and try to find other talent to compliment them.

I'm not really a fan of moving people from wing to center, or from LW to RW, or from RD to LD.

This is why, to some extent, you don't fall too in love with all of the young talent we have. There are going to be moves that use them as chips.

I can't emphasize that enough.
Yes. And I hope the Rangers know that and aren’t tempted into trading down or taking Byfield at 1 because we need centers. Take Lafreniere, and move other pieces

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I wonder if we were to dangle Buch + TDA and Car's 1st round pick that we could get at least a very, very good #2 center in here.
Buchnevich was T77th in points for forwards this year. DeAngelo was T4th in points for a defenseman. Obviously there's more to hockey than just points, but that's a lot of capital.

Reactions: Kovalev27

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Had a thought this morning-- It's kind of funny, in retrospect, how much time and energy we all spent a year ago arguing about Panarin. Half the boards wanted to sign him so that the team could compete for a playoff spot and get the kids some post-season experience. The other half of the boards didn't want to sign him in the hopes that the team would get one more high draft pick. Somehow, both sides got exactly what they wanted, haha.

One of the principle arguments against signing Panarin is that he wasn't going to make the team a cup contender by himself, and we would be wasting his best years while we continue to rebuild. But getting Kakko, Fox, Trouba, Laf, the emergency of ADA and Mika taking it to an elite level, has accelerated the rebuild. On top of that, Panarin had an MVP caliber season. So thus far, things have worked out very well. That said, we still have a ways to go before we are actually cup contenders.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just goes to show you that playing hard and not tanking can have its own rewards.

Everyone should be happy with the resources we've utilized. We signed elite talent, we added some vets, and we will have a first overall and second overall pick on the roster, along with as many 8 first round selections over a four draft period of time.

I mean seriously, you couldn't really script this much better.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't understand the need for this, unless Buch is traded and Fast is not re-signed then I guess but I don't think we see both leave.

I think its more likely than not TBH.

Unless Fast wants to take a cheap 1-2 year deal. I think Buch has gone from someone that they'd probably keep to someone they'll probably move. Not through any fault of his own, but its no secret that they're gonna try to diversify what already exists here.

I'd put Chytil, Strome, Nils, the Car 1st and possibly Kravtsov as other pieces which we may possibly see them part with. Howden sucks, but the love for him runs deeper than the coaching staff. He's staying and it wouldn't surprise me if he's protected in the expansion draft.

I'd throw DeAngelo into the mix above bc our FO is a wild card but I think he stays.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Buchnevich was T77th in points for forwards this year. DeAngelo was T4th in points for a defenseman. Obviously there's more to hockey than just points, but that's a lot of capital.

This is a lot of capital for a second line center too.

Don't get me wrong, we need one. But people are looking for an elite second line center who doubles as a first line option with some of these offers.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Everyone should be happy with the resources we've utilized. We signed elite talent, we added some vets, and we will have a first overall and second overall pick on the roster, along with as many 8 first round selections over a four draft period of time.

I mean seriously, you couldn't really script this much better.

Throw in Zibanejad emerging, Shesty looking every bit the part, and Panarin overperforming expectations.

The big downsides have been Kravtsov, Andersson, Hajek and Howden so far, but prospect development is never perfect. For every Drew Doughty there is a Colton Teubert.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think that'll depend on Fast's price tag. Wouldn't rule him out coming back.

I think Fast's fate was sealed when we won the 1st overall pick. Not just because Laf is a winger, but because of the performance bonuses that will be included in his contract. We won't be able to afford Fast, unless he takes an extreme discount (like 1 mil AAV), which I don't see happening.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Throw in Zibanejad emerging, Shesty looking every bit the part, and Panarin overperforming expectations.

The big downsides have been Kravtsov, Andersson, Hajek and Howden so far, but prospect development is never perfect. For every Drew Doughty there is a Colton Teubert.

I think Kravtsov will be fine with time.

Hajek and Howden have to figure out their roles in the NHL and own that role. Otherwise, they become journeymen.

Andersson is a strange case because I can still envision what he can become, and don't think the door is completely closed, but there's work to be done and growth to take place.

But this is also why the Rangers stockpile talent and don't just pencil every top prospect into the lineup. Because even when things go well, they never go exactly as planned.

Reactions: Speedtrials

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
This is a lot of capital for a second line center too.

Don't get me wrong, we need one. But people are looking for an elite second line center who doubles as a first line option with some of these offers.
Yeah if that's the price we're paying I'd really hope we're getting someone young, cost controlled, and with upsidee.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'll state what will probably be an unpopular opinion but I'd much rather sign Fast as the utility, veteran winger who can play in all situations and on all lines as necessary for 3-4 years while trading Buch than lose Fast for nothing (UFA). I think long-term Fast is going to serve his role better and longer for this team than Buch who could be replaced internally sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I was under the impression that with a flat cap, they can resign Strome and DeAngelo to $11m between the two. And still have enough for a Lemieux.

It's not that simple, unfortunately, due to the implications of all the performance bonus money we will have on the roster, as I detailed here: GDT: - NEW YORK RANGERS WIN NHL DRAFT LOTTERY

The bottom line is that we are going to exceed the bonus cushion, in large part because we won the 1st overall, though we were pushing the boundaries anyway. As a result, our base cap commitment will have to be considerably less than 81.5 mil.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think its more likely than not TBH.

Unless Fast wants to take a cheap 1-2 year deal. I think Buch has gone from someone that they'd probably keep to someone they'll probably move. Not through any fault of his own, but its no secret that they're gonna try to diversify what already exists here.

I'd put Chytil, Strome, Nils, the Car 1st and possibly Kravtsov as other pieces which we may possibly see them part with. Howden sucks, but the love for him runs deeper than the coaching staff. He's staying and it wouldn't surprise me if he's protected in the expansion draft.

I'd throw DeAngelo into the mix above bc our FO is a wild card but I think he stays.
If you let Fast walk and Trade Buch and move Kreider to RW that hurts the teams depth which is what was our biggest problem last season. you go from having 3 lines that can be a threat back to having a really good top-6 but lacking on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Reactions: TominNC

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If you let Fast walk and Trade Buch and move Kreider to RW that hurts the teams depth which is what was our biggest problem last season. you go from having 3 lines that can be a threat back to having a really good top-6 but lacking on the 3rd and 4th lines.

I think they'll get back pieces that are NHL pieces.

For better or worse, we're going to see them try to grit up.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah if that's the price we're paying I'd really hope we're getting someone young, cost controlled, and with upsidee.

And the truth is that those guys are very hard to come by, for exactly those reasons.

So you either have to settle for a "value" deal, or you have to pay for someone at the top of the list (with a premiem in both assets and contract).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad