GDT: NEW YORK RANGERS WIN NHL DRAFT LOTTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My issue with Strome is that he is not multi dimensional enough to keep around any longer.

He's not a good defensive player, hes not a good PK'er, he takes bad penalties on the regular. Hes a pretty good player on the PP where hes the 5th most important guy on a 5 man unit and his outlier season (this year) was driven by a hart trophy like run by his line mate.

With out Panarin, he has been a 35 point player. If he were an ace PK'er or had some other value beyond that I could see the case for keeping him but he is not that.

If we really want to make a leap next year, upgrading his spot is necessary. If you're okay with a wait and see approach, thats fine, but all of these things will still be true 6-12-18 months from now.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
My issue with Strome is that he is not multi dimensional enough to keep around any longer.

He's not a good defensive player, hes not a good PK'er, he takes bad penalties on the regular. Hes a pretty good player on the PP where hes the 5th most important guy on a 5 man unit and his outlier season (this year) was driven by a hart trophy like run by his line mate.

With out Panarin, he has been a 35 point player. If he were an ace PK'er or had some other value beyond that I could see the case for keeping him but he is not that.

If we really want to make a leap next year, upgrading his spot is necessary. If you're okay with a wait and see approach, thats fine, but all of these things will still be true 6-12-18 months from now.
. Agreed. Especially on the PP. he doesn’t shoot and he seems to fumble the puck a lot. Obviously playing with Panarin will inflate your stats which is what has happened. The second Panarin is off his line or if Panarin is having a rare off night Strome doesn’t do anything

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
My only concern is that we are turning into a “in theory” team. Like a fantasy team, where we just get as many good, skill players as possible and figure it out later. Does that work? Look at Tampa and look at Toronto. Zero cups. Not a ton of playoff success, especially Toronto. What also needs to be taken into account is that we are in a hard cap league, and we’re gonna have to deal with this problem sooner than later.

Reactions: The don godfather

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
7 million dollar 3rd liner? Are we going to regret that Kreider contract?
No having Kreider on our third line means it’s one of the best in the league.

we just saw our team get smacked because our 3rd and 4th lines were an affront to humanity, having Kreider be able to play the third line is a good thing.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Kreider being pushed down the depth chart by an elite ELC is a great “problem” to have. Same with Buchnevich and Fast on the other side, as Kakko continues to grow.
The same argument re Trouba/ADA/Fox. This is misidentifying the problem. Of course it’s not a problem to have a talented positional logjam. The problem is managing a competitive, well-rounded roster under a salary cap.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
My only concern is that we are turning into a “in theory” team. Like a fantasy team, where we just get as many good, skill players as possible and figure it out later. Does that work? Look at Tampa and look at Toronto. Zero cups. Not a ton of playoff success, especially Toronto. What also needs to be taken into account is that we are in a hard cap league, and we’re gonna have to deal with this problem sooner than later.
I'm not sure what you're getting at although you make good points about the cap.

By that logic, why should any team ever try to become an elite team because other teams failed? We can't look at teams with elite talent and be afraid of their failures, we have to do our own thing and everythint else will hopefully fall into place

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

I disagree. We looked very good last year. Our offense showed a ton of chemistry. Our issue consistently was defense. Ruff is now gone and hopefully we get a new D coach who can help not only our D-men, but team defense as a whole. Some very tantalizing D prospects are also coming up which will help out a lot

The fact is talent wins you championships. And anyway, this isn't just a hodgepodge of good players. It's only some extra additions from last year. If our defense was even middle of the road, we might firmly be in the playoffs. The '21-'22 season is where we should really start to see dividends.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The same argument re Trouba/ADA/Fox. This is misidentifying the problem. Of course it’s not a problem to have a talented positional logjam. The problem is managing a competitive, well-rounded roster under a salary cap.

Thanks. I should have added it’s not a problem until Kakko and Lafreniere are due substantial raises. The key really is to not give out no-movement and no-trade clauses if you can avoid it.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Thanks. I should have added it’s not a problem until Kakko and Lafreniere are due substantial raises. The key really is to not give out no-movement and no-trade clauses if you can avoid it.
...or now, when ADA is due one and we're pinching pennies.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Had a thought this morning-- It's kind of funny, in retrospect, how much time and energy we all spent a year ago arguing about Panarin. Half the boards wanted to sign him so that the team could compete for a playoff spot and get the kids some post-season experience. The other half of the boards didn't want to sign him in the hopes that the team would get one more high draft pick. Somehow, both sides got exactly what they wanted, haha.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Sometimes you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Last time we did that we replaced Nylander and Cullen with Drury and Gomez for twice the cap hit, and it didn't go as planned.

It makes me sad the history that is being re written when it comes to Gomez. He was good his 2 years here and single handedly won us a playoff series.

And Drury too. He had a big hand in getting Callahan to the player he was in his peak 2010-12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad