GDT: NEW YORK RANGERS WIN NHL DRAFT LOTTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Apologies if this has been posted, but I thought the site was down for the last 4 hours. I kept refreshing and it couldn't connect, so I'm not going to read through 30 pages of stuff.

Also apologies because this will be a bit of a downer.

The CBA allows for a bonus cushion. Teams can exceed the cap via performance bonuses, up to 7.5% of the cap ceiling. With the cap being 81.5 mil next year, that means we can exceed the cap, via bonuses, by 6.1125 million.

The base cap hits (without performance bonuses) have to fit within the 81.5 cap, but with performance bonuses, we can go up to 87.6125 million. What does this mean to us? Well, we have a LOT of players with performance bonuses. The table below shows all of the players we have signed who have performance bonuses for next season.

PlayerPerformance Bonuses for 2020-21 (in Millions)
Lafreniere2.85
Shesterkin2.85
Kakko2.65
Kravtsov.85
Andersson.85
Fox.85
Barron.85
Richards.5
Chytil.35
Gauthier.3
Miller.3
Lindgren.2125
Reunanen.1325
Rueschhoff.1075
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
As a 1st overall pick, Laf will almost certainly get max performance bonuses. Laf, Shesty, Kakko, Fox, Chytil and Lindgren should all be on the team. Let's assume Gauthier is on the team as well. That is a total of 10.0625 million in performance bonuses. That means that our total cap commitment, before bonuses, can't be higher than 77.55 mil.

If Hank decides to retire, we are in good shape. Otherwise, I think Fast is definitely gone, and I think we are going to have to trade one of Strome or ADA no matter what. We will probably also have to buyout Staal or Hank.

Also keep in mind that Laf will probably earn at least some of his schedule A and B bonuses, as could Fox, Kakko and Shesty. Any bonuses that don't fit under the cap will roll over to the next year. So as awesome as it is that we are getting the 1st overall pick, it does complicate our cap situation.
#TradeTrouba

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The opportunity to draft Lafrenière is the latest in a string of events that have given the Rangers true star power. In a rebuild, stars are the toughest thing to acquire. That’s why I was so hot on acquiring Panarin last year. Go back to April of 2019 and the Ranger star power at that time was a fading Henrik Lundqvist and a slowly emerging Mika Zinabajad. Now Mika has blossomed and the Rangers have added Panarin, Kakko, Fox, and the expectation that Lafrenière will be joining the group. That’s an extraordinary change in a short period of time.

And add Shesterkin too

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
[QUOTE="GoAwayStaal, post: 172951524, member: 70174"They really should start to improve some of the areas that are clearly deficient (LD being the biggest one, both with addition(s) and one big subtraction) and then see where they stand at the TDL next year. They don't need to plug every hole right away, but they also shouldn't let the leaks continue just because they have a few years before the entire boat is as risk of sinking.[/QUOTE]
You and I disagree regarding Strome (not really worth it to beat that horse all over again), but generally I agree. Next year they need to see what shakes out and where they are around the TDL.

pjcnyr22

Feb 5, 2008
I was under the impression we got which ever one was better. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I notice he still did not score at all. :sarcasm:

Listen, I'm not trolling, just saying, I had as high of expectations for Kakko as anyone, and still do, but I got burned. He wasn't even close to what we thought he would be this quickly.

70 points for Lafreniere as a rookie would be extreme elite company.

LOL NOBODY scored for us in that series. It is a bit of a troll lol. Kakko was a completely different player after actually having time off. Nobody would have the season that people were expecting when a player has played that much hockey in such a short period of time.

I have no idea if Laf will get 70 points his rookie season but understand that Laf is tier(s) above Hughes and Kakko

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
They rated him pretty low on discipline. Is this something to be concerned about?
I find it a good thing for a superstar who has been a child prodigy targeted by other players his whole life to stand up for themselves, few players of his caliber play with the edge he does. He’s the kind of leader we need, an alpha Messier type, not a milquetoast Mika (no shots at Mika, he’s a fantastic player but I don’t think he’s our future captain after this) Looking back at 1st overall picks I think he’s the first this aggressive since Oveckin

Reactions: Cag29

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Luck has played it's part but the Rangers have set a new standard as far as rebuilding an organization from the bottom up. They embraced what might've been a long, arduous process and struck at every opportunity to stock up assets and inject talent into the pipeline and the roster.

As far as Strome/Fast goes, I think this play-in series made clear who brings more value to the team. Not only would Fast be cheaper to re-sign, I just can't see that Carolina series being such an ass-kicking if Jesper Fast were in the lineup for more than half a shift. Meanwhile, I feel pretty confident that had Brett Howden moved in between Panarin and Fast, we still could've had two lines doing damage.

I hope Lafreniere is as good as is said. Truly none of us have ever been in a position to consider getting the top prospect of a given draft year. Here's hoping he's more like Matthews than Hishier. And here's hoping too that Kakko doesn't want to his star eclipsed so easily. Sometimes the best way for a player to improve is a chip on their shoulder. I think Kakko showed a glimpse of that in the play-in, and I'm excited to see what his development could look like with another star draftee in the fold.

Reactions: Cag29

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
the Q is targeting a 10/1 start date (OHL & WHL looking at 12/1 apparently). the NHL draft is tentatively scheduled for 10/9. so we aren't talking about months of playing time. its 9 days and he has nothing to gain by it.

The Q is targeting 10/1. The NHL is targeting 12/1. That isn't a difference of 9 days. It's 9 days between when the Q season starts and the draft, but it's 2 months between when they play games. If they do start on 10/1, camps will begin at least a couple weeks before that, and NHL camps won't begin until November. We have no idea if they will have the development camp after the draft, but if they do, he could be excused for that.

It's all moot anyway until we know what the rule is.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Apologies if this has been posted, but I thought the site was down for the last 4 hours. I kept refreshing and it couldn't connect, so I'm not going to read through 30 pages of stuff.

Also apologies because this will be a bit of a downer.

The CBA allows for a bonus cushion. Teams can exceed the cap via performance bonuses, up to 7.5% of the cap ceiling. With the cap being 81.5 mil next year, that means we can exceed the cap, via bonuses, by 6.1125 million.

The base cap hits (without performance bonuses) have to fit within the 81.5 cap, but with performance bonuses, we can go up to 87.6125 million. What does this mean to us? Well, we have a LOT of players with performance bonuses. The table below shows all of the players we have signed who have performance bonuses for next season.

PlayerPerformance Bonuses for 2020-21 (in Millions)
Lafreniere2.85
Shesterkin2.85
Kakko2.65
Kravtsov.85
Andersson.85
Fox.85
Barron.85
Richards.5
Chytil.35
Gauthier.3
Miller.3
Lindgren.2125
Reunanen.1325
Rueschhoff.1075
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
As a 1st overall pick, Laf will almost certainly get max performance bonuses. Laf, Shesty, Kakko, Fox, Chytil and Lindgren should all be on the team. Let's assume Gauthier is on the team as well. That is a total of 10.0625 million in performance bonuses. That means that our total cap commitment, before bonuses, can't be higher than 77.55 mil.

If Hank decides to retire, we are in good shape. Otherwise, I think Fast is definitely gone, and I think we are going to have to trade one of Strome or ADA no matter what. We will probably also have to buyout Staal or Hank.

Also keep in mind that Laf will probably earn at least some of his schedule A and B bonuses, as could Fox, Kakko and Shesty. Any bonuses that don't fit under the cap will roll over to the next year. So as awesome as it is that we are getting the 1st overall pick, it does complicate our cap situation.

(Looks at Staal, fast and strome)

Bitch BYE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany