GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I have a gut feeling and it’s not based on anything but gut so just my two cents. I think there may be a couple surprises here on the lineup.

I don’t think lias is a lock to make this team.

I don’t think Howden is a lock to not make the team

I think we actually may be surprised at a defenseman that makes the team and I know that goes against the 8 I’ve said were a lock. But just have a feeling here we may see a surprise or 2 here.

I’m gonna go play lotto boys who’s in? Lol

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Howden should be on one of the 3 PK pairings in order to keep his ice time up.

Hayes-Kreider
Namestnikov-Hobbit (My last letter key is broken apparently, this is going to be a long season)
Howden-Fast

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only thing that surprises me here is McLeod making it over Andersson. There was no spot for him in the middle of the ice, but I didn’t think they would be so insistent that he plays center that scrubs like Lettieri or Vesey would get top 9 spots at winger over him. It reflects badly on Gorton. He drafted Andersson as his Stepan replacement. He was supposedly the most you NHL ready guy at the spot we took him, and then they don’t think he’s good enough to make the team the first two seasons.

With the defense, I’d try to find a way to play Pionk and DeAngelo. Sit Staal. It would be 4 right shots, but we should go with that. Skjei-Shatty, Pionk-McQuaid, Smith-DeAngelo.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Only thing that surprises me here is McLeod making it over Andersson. There was no spot for him in the middle of the ice, but I didn’t think they would be so insistent that he plays center that scrubs like Lettieri or Vesey would get top 9 spots at winger over him. It reflects badly on Gorton. He drafted Andersson as his Stepan replacement. He was supposedly the most you NHL ready guy at the spot we took him, and then they don’t think he’s good enough to make the team the first two seasons.

With the defense, I’d try to find a way to play Pionk and DeAngelo. Sit Staal. It would be 4 right shots, but we should go with that. Skjei-Shatty, Pionk-McQuaid, Smith-DeAngelo.

The bolded statements contradict each other.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
They clearly want to develop Lias to be a top 6 center.

It makes sense to let him be the 1C in Hartford, at least for a few months. I'm sure we'll see Lias in New York this season.

They're doing what they think is best for his development. This isn't an indictment on Lias as a player. He's in his second year post draft (actually a year behind Howden in his development, Howden is in his third post draft year).

It's quite clear that Lias being sent to Hartford wasn't a result of him being straight up worse than everyone else who made it. This isn't "Oh they kept McLeod over Lias" because, whether we agree with it or not, they clearly weren't evaluating Lias and McLeod (or Vesey or even Howden) for the same place on the roster.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Andersson will get his share of games in the NHL, they just won't start on opening night. Maybe playing 20+ minutes a night as the 1C in Hartford is just what he needs to reach another level. We'll see him back at the Garden before long.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think it's verrrry likely that the roster that starts the season isn't the same roster by the end of the month or maybe even 2 weeks into the season.

Guys like Howden, Lettieri, and Chytil are still on the bubble IMO and while this is a reward for playing well in preseason when needed, it's not a permanent roster spot either.

I think there's going to be a lot of up and down between the AHL and NHL this year for some players

e: for what it's worth I thought Howden was pretty invisisbe for most of the preseason games but turned it on in the last game. Andersson seemed the opposite...good in the first couple, gradually more invisible later. Possibly due to usage and linemates, possibly just due to not getting comfortable. I think one thing I want to see out of Andersson is more aggressive play with the puck. I feel like he's a little too deferential when he gets it right now...passes it off fairly quickly, doesn't position himself to be the trigger man or things like that. He seems like he's trying hard to be a complementary linemate and help out his teammates rather than being more assertive. Could be one reason why they want to send him down.

Reactions: Fireonk

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

Your opinion of Lettieri is absurd, and you double down when you're wrong. Calling the kid a scrub here when he deservedly made the team. You called him an echl'er last year instead he's one of the better AHL forwards and even earns a call-up. You were also critical of the original signing on this guy so it just reflects badly on you as a talent evaluator and actually make Groton look good here.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I think if they were trying to win, Lias would be here instead of Chytil. But this is about development.
Lias benefits more from working on his skills in a an easier position. Chytil gets the trial by fire to work more on his defensive awareness and compete. I do hope they don't stop him from the Malkin-esque aggressiveness. Let him organically learn what does and doesn't work in real games, and grow from it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wouldn't really to much into the opening night roster per say.

I think it's a possibility that Howden, Chytil and Andersson (and others) all split some degree of time between the AHL and NHL.

Howden making it isn't a total surprise to me, as I think his ability to play more of a bottom six role gives him an edge to start there.

Personally I liked what I saw from Andersson more than Chytil and would've flip-flopped those two.

I guess I could probably argue several decisions either way and wouldn't consider myself shocked by any of them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Your opinion of Lettieri is absurd, and you double down when you're wrong. Calling the kid a scrub here when he deservedly made the team. You called him an echl'er last year instead he's one of the better AHL forwards and even earns a call-up. You were also critical of the original signing on this guy so it just reflects badly on you as a talent evaluator and actually make Groton look good here.

Did you not watch him play in the NHL last year? Can’t play at this level. The preseason is not the NHL level. It’s halfway in between the NHL and AHL.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

To be honest I think Lettieri wasn't all that impressive for most of the preseason but he did have a good game last night. I'm still not totally sure where I see him fitting into the lineup but his play will ultimately dictate that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Did you not watch him play in the NHL last year? Can’t play at this level. The preseason is not the NHL level. It’s halfway in between the NHL and AHL.

Sometimes guys improve, just because he wasn't good last year doesn't mean that he can't hack it this year. That said, I agree I'm wary of his ability to find a niche in the NHL judging from his play last year and for a lot of this preseason. I'm just not sure where I see it yet but I guess it also depends on the makeup of the fourth line and how well they play together, because I don't see him as a top 9 player

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Where’s @Edge at? He’s been telling us for months that Howden’s further along than people realize.

I admit I like him better than some and think he continues to kind of get overlooked.

Even if he's "only" a third line center, I think he'll be a good one. Personally, I think he has second line potential and wouldn't discount his ability to keep growing and progressing.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
We're going to have injuries. Andersson will get games at the NHL level this season. We're not going to win the cup this year, so why rush him? Let him get the minutes he needs in the AHL.

I have no problem with the move.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I admit I like him better than some and think he continues to kind of get overlooked.

Even if he's "only" a third line center, I think he'll be a good one. Personally, I think he has second line potential and wouldn't discount his ability to keep growing and progressing.

I thought he looked kind of overmatched for a lot of the preseason and then turned it on last night which was apparently enough to win a spot, go figure.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I kind of would have rather seen them try to develop Chytil as a center in the AHL than have him be a wing in the NHL.

Possible he still ended up a wing at the NHL level but seems like it would have been worth the try.

As far as them going up and down, I agree there is likely to be some of that and I'm not sure I agree there either, I think I would have rather seen them try to stabilize the AHL team.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Yes I did and right now he's a depth player. He might adopt his game and be a decent 4th liner or flame out and just be a good AHLer, which he already is. He has the skillset be a modern speedy/pesky 4th liner and has decent offensive skills to chip in some. I don't care if he's here long term or not, his play will determine that. I'm not going to call out players I'm not familiar with, then double down on my opinion when that player proves me wrong. You called him an ECHLer, and now a scrub when he deservedly made the team. If he goes down to Hartford, he'll again be a scoring threat there and make that team better.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
imo it was unlikely that all 3 of chytil, andersson and howden would make the team and would be happy with 2 of the 3 which we got. I would have bet $$ on chytil and andersson but still got 2 of 3.

people will complain that lias was a bad pick and we should have taken he who shall not be named...but flip it around and send down howden instead and those same people would say that proves the mcdonagh trade was bad lol

all 3 will be playing regular minutes before the season is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad