GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I kind of would have rather seen them try to develop Chytil as a center in the AHL than have him be a wing in the NHL.

Possible he still ended up a wing at the NHL level but seems like it would have been worth the try.

As far as them going up and down, I agree there is likely to be some of that and I'm not sure I agree there either, I think I would have rather seen them try to stabilize the AHL team.

IMO there is a 0% chance Chytil plays on wing...if they wanted to put him on wing there would have been a top 9 center spot for andersson. he might end up on the wing. but he isn't starting there imo

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
IMO there is a 0% chance Chytil plays on wing...if they wanted to put him on wing there would have been a top 9 center spot for andersson. he might end up on the wing. but he isn't starting there imo

I kind of dislike that even more, I don't think his defensive game is going to be very good at the NHL level as a center. And I wonder how much time on ice he will get and who his wings end up being.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
People need to understand that Lias is NHL ready, we just dont have a spot for him. I have a feeling Gorton disagreed with Quinn on moving Chytil to wing, so Chytil will play 3C. Theres no reason for either Chytil or Lias to be on the 4th line, Howden is older than lias and is more suited for a bottom 6 role even if his upside is middle-6. Let Howden enjoy the fruits of his labor and have Lias come up if there are injuries or at the trade deadline when we inevitable make a sale trade.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Feels to me like there is a logical disconnect here, to a degree. Andersson and Howden are BOTH highly regarded center prospects... albeit Andersson more so, and with a somewhat greater accent on offense from what we're told to expect. As far as I'm concerned, Andersson looked far more ready for an NHL spot, even on the 3rd line wing for some or all of this year, than Howden did for the 4C spot. Yet we're "protecting" the one asset by making him 1C in Hartford, but completely neglecting the development needs of Howden. By the standards set here, Howden should absolutely be slotted in as 2C in Hartford rather than doing limited minutes shlub time in NY. Any of Holland (who I don't care for much), Fontaine or Fogarty would have been better to burn in the 4C slot... or as previously mentioned, maybe someone 20% better than Holland off the waiver wire. Howden may be temporary until Nieves is ready to go... but Nieves' real readiness for the NHL has never been fully established either, so perhaps not.

Dunno... I may not be fully coherent here... but I don't like it. Andersson has seemed for that matter more ready for the big time than Chytil has thus far. I look forward to being 100% wrong about this when all is said and done, but...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
queue up all the righteous indignation
but this is a totally meaningless story,
the roster will be fluid, especially regarding the waiver-exempt young guys

Lias has only had a couple months of NA pro hockey, narrower rinks, he will be back, and a factor this season
no down-side to a month (or 3) as a #1, all-situations C w HWP

some people may be overlooking red-highlighted above.
this assignment is not really worth all the anxiety it is causing some folks

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Not that shocked that Andersson got sent down to be honest. Outside of the 1st game he really didn't make much of an impact at all. Chytil wasn't great by any means either but he did show flashes of his skill and created some offense outside of the game against the Islanders. And it can't hurt for Lias to get 20+ mins a night in Hartford for now. Howden was impressive last night so that probably put him over the hump. As far as defensively, I really hope ADA is not a scratch, that would be a big dissapointment, he looked great in the pre-season.
Sit Staal or McQuaid.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Those D pairings are f***ed

We'll see, it's still just practice, but those pairings seem to be put together based on a prayer that they'll complement each other rather than realistic evaluation of talent

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Final selections dictated by how those on the bubble played, which is refreshing. Howden was a bit better than Andersson and is also better suited to a 4th line center role than Lias. Howden projects to a bottom 6 center while there is some reasonable hope that Lias's high end is a bit better than that. Let him start in Hartford as a 1C and let's see how that goes.

Lettieri was the best of the bottom forwards so good to see he made it against some pretty strong odds. He will have to keep it up to stay.

Smith appears to have regained form and should be OK on 2nd pair LHD.

Not worried about ADA, Pionk and McQuaid as others are. If they split 2/3 RHD evenly - they would each play ~ 55 games. And that assumes no injuries; will work itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad