GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Why is Hayes on the team?

Gorton should have traded him three months ago.

The Rangers have young center options. We had this discussion during the summer. They are NHL ready.

They don’t need Hayes. They didn’t want to pay Hayes this summer. Why are they paying him next summer? All three of the young centers have more upside than Hayes and they will be making nothing for the at least the next three years.

I like Gorton but some of his decisions are questionable.

How will the ice time be distributed?

Could the Rangers have gotten more for Hayes June or will they get more as a rental in February?

They will need for Hayes to have a good year to get a good return at the trading deadline. He will need to play and that will take away time from the young players at center.

There’s a lot here that may be true as well. For a rebuilding team why were Hayes namestnikov spooner Vesey and zuccarello ALL brought back? I understand some but all? It made no sense this summer and it makes no sense today.

UNLESS

you believe that we don’t have enough nhl ready kids and quite frankly maybe gorton was right on that and I didn’t give him enough credit. We continue to discredit Traverse City Tournament but it seems to be a pretty solid barometer. Howden was great there while guys like Andersson and ronning struggled. Guys we thought might be ready but aren’t. The two euros we brought over we hoped may knock on the door. They were terrible in camp.

I think gorton and Quinn took the best players avail here for the team. And maybe they knew this was going to be the case and why they kept guys longer than we had liked.

Lias needs to improve ALOT this season before we blow out a Kevin Hayes. Chytil does too.

Not one winger proved he could handle an nhl job other than Lettieri. So can’t blow out Zucc or spooner etc when that’s the case.

Lot of work to do still.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm more interested in how Quimm said the reasoning for Lias in Hartford is they don't want a Top 9 talent on the 4th line.

Soooooooo...do they not view Howden as Top 9 talent long-term then?

I think they probably view Howden as being a bit better suited to starting in a non- top 9 role than Lias. This is probably a combination of experience and style.

In the case of Andersson, I think it's also about giving him a ton of minutes to start the season.

Having said that, I personally thought Andersson and Howden looked a little better than Chytil.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My only response would be, Tampa apparently saw something in him to give him that opportunity to play where he did. I mean if they thought he was completely bereft of offensive ability I doubt they'd stick him there; they had plenty of other options on that team.

He's fine defensively and he can chip in some offense. I don't really understand the concern. Put him on the third or fourth and he'll be fine.
He does not strike me as the 4th line contributor.

I did not say that he is completely bereft of offensive talent. On the contrary, I think the does have such talent. But for one reason or another, he has only produced as a top-6 players when playing with two of the better players in the game. Short of that, he has not show such ability. As I said, hopefully he proves me wrong and forces his way into a top-6 role with the Rangers. Just not willing to put money on such a bet. He has not show enough to make be believe that.

CaptBagel

May 2, 2018
Not surprised 2 out of 3 made the roster but I am surprised Howden over Anderson.
Even tho I still think howden is a future 2C and Lias will be a solid 3C, demoting Lias will be a huge crush to his very competitive ego.
Just hope he uses this as motivation to get better and it doesn't destroy his confidence.
Now IMO I think all 3 should be a Hartford
Bring them up after the trade deadline
All the RFAs we signed need to play a lot and raise their trade value

Reactions: Off Sides

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Staal has no business being in the opening night lineup but he will be.
Staal played just fine last year and he looked fine in preseason. Just stop. The Rangers were not going to ice all rookies/prospects. Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith will be out there to insulate the younger players as they should be. McQuaid too

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I don't think it's that surprising that Howden stays over Lias. I thought either looked like a guy that could fill a role player spot on the big club while developing and Howden looked to play better than Lias down the stretch, IMO. My only disappointment, I guess, is Fogarty not staying up for 13th over McLeod. At his age, I figure you don't have to worry about stunting development or anything and he looks like a good 4th line option. But, it's a 13th F... whatever.

Nice to see they kept the 8D. Both Pionk and ADA played their way into a chance to continue to show they deserve to be on the big club.

Everyone is getting worked up about the lines in the 1st practice with a normal sized roster. It's 1st practice... relax.

Even if the lines stick and Vesey sucks so bad, wouldn't you rather him be with Hayes and Zucc, who can each carry the line and make up for his bad play, as opposed to being with Chytil or Howden and f***ing up their development? Always a positive to be found in most situations...haha

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
May come sooner. There are some managers in the league on very hot seats.
It's our turn to fleece Edmonton. Chiarelli gifted Barzal and Hall to two of our biggest rivals.

I'll take Hayes for Klefbom for $800, Alex.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kreider-Zib-Buch
Nams-Hayes-Spooner
Vesey-Chytil-Zucc
Lettieri-Howden-Fast
Mcleod

Skjei-Shatty
Staal-DeAngelo
Smith-Pionk
McQuaid, Claesson

Lines 2 and 3 can flip flop

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
No surprise. The Rangers don’t have a spot at center for Andersson. Howden is better suited for the 4th line center role.

The Rangers never disappoint.

And neither do you.

giphy.gif

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hajek getting sent down is a ****ing joke.

I have to tell you, both last season and most games to this point, Hajek hasn't struck me as someone who was that close to the cusp.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if he got there this season, perhaps even in a couple of months. But I didn't seem as knocking on the door like some have.

In many ways I feel like Hajek and Howden are view somewhat differently.

Hajek's hiccups are somewhat overlooked as there seems to be a push to have him in the lineup sooner, whereas Howden seems to be consistently undervalued for his approach.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This entire crop of players, Andersson to Lindgren will all benefit from the AHL. Chytil's likely going to be able to hold his own in the NHL while playing top 9 minutes and improve in the NHL as he would in the AHL. The rest of the group including Howden would be better served and safer served imo being in the minors for 1/2 to a full season.

Can't make a bigger mistake in a rebuild than rushing a kid into an NHL top 9 role when he would be better off in the minors.

Hajek playing 3rd pairing minutes in NY doesn't help him as much as 22 minutes a night in Hartford. Hajek is better than Staal but well, it is what it is.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Hajek being sent down does not bother me, for the same reasons it would not have bothered me to see all of Howden, Chytil, Lias, Hajek be sent down.

I think they all are relatively close to NHL ready, and the players who would play in the NHL instead are not very good, but it just seems like out of that group of prospects it is sort of a contradiction to say this or that prospect would have benefited from big minutes in the AHL but not this or that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->