GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Andersson getting sent down and Howden staying up was not what I was expecting, not gonna lie haha

Hopefully none of our guys get claimed, need Hartford to have some competition and be like good this year

Seems like the spare will be McLeod with Howden getting 4C duties

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’m cool with Lias running train in the AHL to start the season. This is going to be a dynamic roster with kids interchanging spots throughout the season, and I’m fully expecting to see all of Chytil, Howden, and Lias get sent up and down

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I thought Pionk would be sent down, but I’m glad he wasn’t. Would have liked to see Fogarty on the roster, but oh well.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Not sure why Andersson being sent down is a surprise. Outside of Game 1, he was bad. He’ll learn (and be fine) but he in no way earned a spot based on his play.

Of course I get chewed out for saying it in the GDTs though. He’s invincible because he’s a 7th overall pick.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If they see Howden as more of a defensive minded center it absolutely makes sense. Andersson gets 22 minutes a game in Hartford including PP and PK, Howden centers the fourth line.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Howden over Andersson seems like the club is insistent on developing him as a center that isn't on the 4th line in the NHL level, where Howden will probably be. I don't necessarily agree with the concept, but I at least understand the reasoning behind the decision.

I think it’s more like Howden is seen as more of a 3C type, which means he will get greater benefit out of 4C time right now.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Also hasn’t it been mentioned several times by the scouts that one of the reasons the Rangers drafted Andersson was because he was NHL-ready?

Gordie Clark continues to beef up his resume.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Howden over Andersson seems like the club is insistent on developing him as a center that isn't on the 4th line in the NHL level, where Howden will probably be. I don't necessarily agree with the concept, but I at least understand the reasoning behind the decision.

I see it the same way. Andersson will develop in the AHL playing top-6 minutes with both PP and PK roles. Howden will start on the 4th line and will grow into that role.

I am surprised Chytil made the team to be honest. I was not really that impressed by him aside from 1 game where he was carried by Zuccarello mostly.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the changes. Hajek and Andersson will lead the Wolf Pack and get called up later on.

Seeing Tolvanen sent down in Nashville, Andersson in New York, might surprise some but at the end of the day these are teenagers who need time to develop. I predict Chytil will be in the AHL before the end of November

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think it’s more like Howden is seen as more of a 3C type, which means he will get greater benefit out of 4C time right now.

Correct. He looked NHL ready to me, I know some disagreed. Vesey-Howden-Fast 4th line.

KzB
Spooner-Chytil-Zuccarello
Namestnikov-Hayes-Lettieri
Vesey-Howden-Fast

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So is it safe to say Smith is going to crack the roster, or does he have to lose another 21 lbs? Not shocked about Andersson either, was not overly impressed with his pre-season.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Correct. He looked NHL ready to me, I know some disagreed. Vesey-Howden-Fast 4th line.

KzB
Vesey-Howden-Fast

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo
Pretty much how I see it but one of DeAngelo/Pionk will be sitting for McQuaid fair or not.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011

KzB
Vesey-Howden-Fast

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo

Also if NYR wont to groom both Chytil and Andersson for top-9 C they only have room for 1 of them at a time in the majors. I think we will see them switch up and down during the season until Hayes is traded during at the TDL (or we got some injuries).

In most EU leagues/sports younger players are often eased into the starting lineup with stints playing at a lower level to evolve their ability to drive play.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm definitely surprised at Howden over Lias, but not bothered by it.

As others have said, they probably see Howden in more of a defensive/matchup role in the future, so centering the 4th line is good experience for him. I'm excited to see him. Hopefully not with McGregor on skates on his wing, but that's probably inevitable.

Lias will get major mins in HFD, and hopefully develop his offensive game.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
ugh

f*** McLeod. I guess we have to hope one of Nieves/Beleskey knocks him off the roster when they get healthy.

not even mad about the Lias thing. Let him go be a center in the AHL, but I don't get why Howden got the nod over him.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
if andersson isn't moving to wing to be in the top 9 i'd rather he get top line minutes in hartford. excited to see howden in real games but hope he gets enough ice time

Reactions: Kovalev27

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm happy with the moves. I don't think Howden will stay long but he earned a spot on the 4th line for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad