GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Seeing the game live I thought Meskanen and Lindqvist were just horribly ineffective. Don't know if we will be able to retain them in Hartford, but I doubt wither of them will make an impact at the NHL level.

Vesey actually played well. He does that sometimes. He also made a pass. Granted it was a no-brainer pass, but he actually executed it, and it turned into a goal.

So did Lettieri, but his goal was all Shattenkirk. All Vinni had to to was let Shatty hit his stick with a shot-pass. I like Vinni's fire, and it may keep him around on the big club. I'd certainly rather him banging bodies than McLeod who is useless. Vinni is capable of being a spark plug who can muck it up a bit and chip in a few goals. Anything more than that and he is being set up for failure.

Speaking of McLeod, Jesus tap-dancing Christ the puck just dies when its on his stick. Cut this man. If you absolutely need another grunt on the team, keep Beleskey

Fogarty won't hurt you in a limited role, won't really help much either.

Namestnikov look really good from what I saw. I left before the goal that was supposedly his fault and I still haven't seen it, but the part I saw he was really effective.

Hajek looked like a veteran NHL player out there. Id rather deal with his growing pains than Staal's guaranteed poor play.

Smith looked like he never wants to go back to Hartford.

Georgiev looked great. Maybe 1 bad rebound, or a puck he should have caught, but he looked poised back there. He certainly outplayed Carter Hart, who looked terrible. The goals weren't really his fault, but he was letting up juicy rebound after juicy rebound on nothing shots.

I agree Howden looked better, but outside his goal he still looked like he needed a bit of seasoning.

Lindgren looked overmatched.

Lias was kind of invisible out there.

Opening night roster:

Kreider - Zib - Spooner
Andersson - Hayes - Buchnevich
Namestnikov - Chytil - Zuccarello
Vesey - Lettieri - Fast
Fogarty
Beleskey*
Nieves*

Skjei - ADA
Smith - Shattenkirk
Hajek - Pionk (very sheltered)
Staal
McQuaid

Hank
Georgiev

If either Chytil or Andersson struggle, Fast can be moved up the lineup. The lines are going to be very dynamic at least until we figure out what works, but I hope Quinn leaves lines together long enough to let them develop some chemistry. This was one of my biggest criticisms of AV. The constant line juggling killed and chemistry players had together

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I like Lindgren a lot. He plays a nasty in your face game. He can make the first pass out too. He wont be up to start and probably wont see much time in the NHL this year but he has a future in the NHL
Has a Barrett Jackman vibe. Similar size and disposition.

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Fog is a strong skater, but at his size, isn’t keeping up with the general pace of the game — especially in the NHL — a bit of a challenge?

I’ve always liked Fogs game in the AHL and he has always left me with that feeling of ‘most likely not, but don’t count that kid out completely’. I’ve never felt that he couldn’t keep up etc. But OTOH — he has of course hardly been a kid that has been able to push the tempo on the ice. He is a thick strong kid .

Personally, I've understood the fascination with Fogarty.

He's another one of those guys, who even if he makes, looks like a journeyman rather than a fourth line staple.

Reactions: Ola

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
1. Pionk is in the top four - what are people watching when they have him anywhere else. By far our most cerebral D.
2. Hajek - guessing he's sent to Hartford unless they give him a brief look. Very excited watching his play, but he needs ice time, not 8 minutes a night with Smith.
3. Andresson/Chytil - will be with the big club. Chytil has the skill but Andersson is capable anywhere on the ice, including the face-off circle and board battles which means he won't slouch on a 3rd/4th line.

Kreider Zbad Buch
Spooner Chytil Zucc
Namesty Hayes Fast
Vesey Andersson Lettieri
Mcleod
Belesky IR

Skjei Shatty
Staal Pionk
Smith ADA
Mcquaid Hajek (4-8 games)

Lundqvist
Georgiev

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Kreider Zib Buch
Spooner Hayes Zucc
Vesey Names Fast
McLeod Holland Lettieri

Skjei Shatt
Smith Pionk
Staal McQ
ADA

Hank
Georgiev

None of our young players look ready at the moment.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
My 1 and only takeaway from the game...the defense looks world's...WORLDS better when staal isn't in the lineup. Even when they are bad..they don't....look bad..if that makes sense....

Imho staal needs to be the rangers number 7....or 8... .or 14.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
1. Pionk is in the top four - what are people watching when they have him anywhere else. By far our most cerebral D.
2. Hajek - guessing he's sent to Hartford unless they give him a brief look. Very excited watching his play, but he needs ice time, not 8 minutes a night with Smith.
3. Andresson/Chytil - will be with the big club. Chytil has the skill but Andersson is capable anywhere on the ice, including the face-off circle and board battles which means he won't slouch on a 3rd/4th line.

Kreider Zbad Buch
Spooner Chytil Zucc
Namesty Hayes Fast
Vesey Andersson Lettieri
Mcleod
Belesky IR

Skjei Shatty
Staal Pionk
Smith ADA
Mcquaid Hajek (4-8 games)

Lundqvist
Georgiev

To the bolded, There are 60 mins in a game, and lets assume that there are 2D on the ice at all times, thats 120 mins (60X2) of ice time that needs to be distributed amongst the D.

If one pair only plays 8 mins, the other 4 will have to play an average of 26 mins each. That is not going to happen with our group. We don't have a McDonagh-like workhorse out there, let alone 4. We don't even have 4 competent established defensemen. The minutes will be more evenly distributed than that.

If Hajek makes it to the big club, he will get enough minutes to justify him being here

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t think staal is here next year. I think he’s still here more for leadership than play as is McQuaid.

Hajek will be here soon. That kid is good I mean really good. Great skater. He’s only going to get better.

Reactions: ButterflySlide22

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If your opinion is basically that he sucks and brings nothing, ok. I was just pointing out that he wasn't solely a product of Stammer and Kucherov.
His production of a top 6 forward seems to be a product of his linemates. Away from them, he has resembled anything but. I am not sure what he can offer on the 4th line, which leaves the third line. And unless a team basically wants the third line to be a yet another scoring line and it features another pretty good offensive player, I do not think that he would shine there either. That is my point. Unfortunately for him, his play has not nearly made anyone consider playing him as a top 6 forward.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I have a gut feeling and it’s not based on anything but gut so just my two cents. I think there may be a couple surprises here on the lineup.

I don’t think lias is a lock to make this team.

I don’t think Howden is a lock to not make the team

I think we actually may be surprised at a defenseman that makes the team and I know that goes against the 8 I’ve said were a lock. But just have a feeling here we may see a surprise or 2 here.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
biggest question right now, IMO, is whether or not they are willing to move Anderson/Chytil/Howden to wing. like a week or so before camp JG said that they view all 3 as centers and don't see a need to move them yet. Is there any reason to think that changed and that the team doesn't view it better for atleast 1 of them to get top minutes in hartford as a center rather than moving them to wing?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Howden will be sent down. He has the potential but he needs more time in the oven. Give him top 6 minutes in HFD. Same with Hajek who looked fantastic in camp but needs big minutes to continue his development.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’d be absolutely fine with lias in a top 9 role if it’s at wing. Absolutely fine with it. But he has no business playing center in a top 9 role at the nhl level yet with his skating. He’ll struggle. Need centers to drive play. He barely touches the puck. Let him play wing let him take some faceoffs let him pk and absolutely put him down low on pp2.

If you have to keep him at center it’s probably best to let him be the number 1 in Hartford.

Reactions: ButterflySlide22

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Howden will be sent down. He has the potential but he needs more time in the oven. Give him top 6 minutes in HFD. Same with Hajek who looked fantastic in camp but needs big minutes to continue his development.

This is my feeling as well. I think one of Chytil or Andersson should be the 1C in HFD as well. There's absolutely no reason for them all to be in the NHL right now.

Well, unless Quinn is planning on playing the lines 2-4 with about equal playing time.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Based on what I've seen I would go with this:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Spooner-Hayes-Zuccarello
Chytil-Andersson-Fast
Namestnikov-Howden-Lettieri

Waive Holland, McLeod, Beleskey. Have Vesey as the 13th forward and make him earn his spot.

Skjei-McQuaid
Smith-Shattenkirk
Hajek-DeAngelo
Staal, Claesson
That is sound thinking, but I have a hard time imagining Staal not being dressed. And keep having the feeling that McLeod will be in the starting line up.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Kreider Zib Buch
Spooner Hayes Zucc
Vesey Names Fast
McLeod Holland Lettieri

Skjei Shatt
Smith Pionk
Staal McQ
ADA

Hank
Georgiev

None of our young players look ready at the moment.

My NHL roster would be very similar, but my reasoning would be more about asset management, rebuilding, development on top of the prospects likely needing more seasoning.

Zibanajad, Hayes, Kreider, Buchnevich, Spooner, Zuccarello, Fast, Vesey, Letteri, Namestnikov, McLeod, Holland, Fogarty, (Beleskey and Nieves on IR)

Skjei, Shattenkirk, Smith, DeAngelo, Pionk, McQuaid, Claesson, Staal

Lundqvist, Tokarski

23 man roster with 2 on IR

Lessens the chance both/either of Lias and Chytil of getting 40 games on the NHL roster, if not they do not accrue a year towards UFA status, they both still look to need some seasoning, and it keeps them out of the spotlight. They are playing big minutes without a ton of media or fan scrutiny down in the AHL.

At/near the deadline

I think I could get value out of Spooner, Zucc, Hayes (if I can not agree to a new deal with him),

Maybe can get value out of Vesey, McLeod, Claesson, McQuaid, Tokarski

Would not except to move but would try to move Staal, Fogarty, Holland

Would not expect to move all of them, but the options are open.

Post trade deadline my NHL roster includes far more of the prospects because those who were traded away, or waived, or those who are healthy scratches at that point would be replaced mostly by prospects.

I see this as more of a transitional year than a need to have the prospects in the NHL right away year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad