GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
If Lias Andersson was selected a half dozen slots lower (as maybe expected he would be, yes I know the Kings wanted him at 11), the fixation on him not reaching a Top-6 level would be minimized. The fact Mittelstadt went #8 makes the punch a bit harder.

(Speaking of Mittelstadt, am I the only one who was blindly sold on Vesey as an upper tier ability player in that mold? I'm clearly a board member of the anti-Vesey campaign).

Back to Lias, too much talk and not enough play. Between the medal-toss spectacle and "front of the jersey number" declaration, this guy needs to reconsider were he's putting his energy. Ultimately, I think he'll be fine - perhaps some sort of cross between Callahan and Stepan, in fact.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Between you, me and the wall, the Rangers will be struggling early on and there will be plenty of times a benching or scratch will precipitate an immediate promotion. The defense (and goaltending, subsequently) likely collapses by mid-November.

Not a big deal if Andersson plays 25-40 NHL games between February and April as opposed to 25-40 between October and April.

Howden's was OK in camp. He certainly wasn't Chytil of last year, that's for sure. I didn't even think Chytil was Chytil of last year. But rebuilds usually require young kids to be injected into full-time roles sooner than later, and a lot of fans wanted this. Heck, the letter from last year pretty much mapped it all out.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Forwards (13): Buchnevich, Chytil, Fast, Hayes, Howden, Kreider, Lettieri, McLeod, Namestnikov, Spooner, Vesey, Zibanejad, Zuccarello

Defensemen (8): Claesson, DeAngelo, McQuaid, Pionk, Shattenkirk, Skjei, Smith, Staal

Goaltenders (2): Georgiev, Lundqvist

No real surprise other than Andersson getting sent down over Chytil. I thought Lias played a more complete game, but I don't have an issue with him getting top line minutes in all situations. Chytil can benefit from getting sheltered offensive minutes. His game is there for that brand of hockey, but would like to see his two way game get better.

Not a fan of McLeod, but it's not a surprise imo. Was between him and Belesky for that 13th forward slot, and the injury opened things up.

Like Lettieri making it, he deserves it, even with minor positional warts and all, he brought it every shift. Good 2nd unit PP option as well.

Howden's north-south game will do the team good. He's got a chance to stick all season, and may end up as a premium bottom six option pretty soon. If he can add some offense 5v5, then you have a great season from him imo, everything else he did was solid.

IMO the guy that's traded out asap, is Namestnikov. I just don't see what he adds or where he slots long term. The contract will be an onerous one to move. He's the Rangers Michael Frolik without the corsi numbers to eek out about.

Georgiev played very well the last few games. I really liked his rebound control.

Cuts on defense don't surprise me at all. This was locked in from early on imo.

I expect Buch to breakout offensively this year.

KZB
Spooner-Hayes-Zucc
Names-Chytil-Fast
Vesey-Howden-Lettieri
McLeod

Sjkei-Shatts
Staal-Pionk/DeAngelo
Smith-McQuaid
Claesson

Would guess that Hayes gets moved at the deadline, and the Rangers look for a swap for Names. Would look at a guy like Jamie McGinn to clear up space if Names is terribad. Sobotka, or Colin Wilson just for cap space this upcoming summer.

Hayes- if he plays well, then he's due for another raise.... which the Rangers can absorb should they want to keep him. If not, then you can maximize him at the deadline.

But all in all, I expect the kids to go up and down from HFD depending on whose playing well versus not. It'll be a good mechanism to drive their development.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If Lias Andersson was selected a half dozen slots lower (as maybe expected he would be, yes I know the Kings wanted him at 11), the fixation on him not reaching a Top-6 level would be minimized. The fact Mittelstadt went #8 makes the punch a bit harder.

(Speaking of Mittelstadt, am I the only one who was blindly sold on Vesey as an upper tier ability player in that mold? I'm clearly a board member of the anti-Vesey campaign).

Back to Lias, too much talk and not enough play. Between the medal-toss spectacle and "front of the jersey number" declaration, this guy needs to reconsider were he's putting his energy. Ultimately, I think he'll be fine - perhaps some sort of cross between Callahan and Stepan, in fact.

Middlestadt has a much higher end skillset than Vesey. Faster, more skilled, and harder to knock down.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'm more interested in how Quimm said the reasoning for Lias in Hartford is they don't want a Top 9 talent on the 4th line.

Soooooooo...do they not view Howden as Top 9 talent long-term then?
Yeah I thought that was weird

Poor phrasing, or something got lost in the translation

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
This all strikes me as asset management. There are guys stuck here until they get moved. Don't lose them on waivers for nothing. I know earning a spot is nearly gospel but this is a building team, you can't lose assets for nothing.

I don't see Vesey, Namestinkov and Claesson staying too long. We'll see moves sooner than later just from injuries.

Its unpopular here but I see Andersson more as a center than Chytil. Much easier to break into this league as a winger. His development won't be hindered by the center responsibilities. So he gets to hang while Lias logs big minutes as a pivot.

Reactions: jas and terrrrrible

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Maybe Howden, who is further along, won't get much from the minors. He knows assignments and responsibilities, and will get more from NHL minutes even if they are fewer.

Howden has been playing juniors while Andersson and Chytil actually have pro experience. I don't think it's so much about assignments and responsibilities with that in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->