GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Play with 11F, 7D. That solves the defense problem. Rotate McQuaid and DeAngelo based on the situation in the game. One gets PP, the other gets PK. They can combine for 6D minutes.

Give the centers on the first three lines some extra time playing as the 4C with Meskanen and Fast on the 4th. Vesey to the press box.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
If they need bodies for practice, it's one thing. Otherwise Holland and McLeod should be cut, waived... whatever. There really is just no place for them. I thought Beleskey was a better option than both and I'd also take one of Nieves, Fogarty, Fontaine, Howden, Lettieri... hell even Schneider for that 12th or 13th F spot. There are younger guys that aren't going to make it too, but the team can still get a look for future purposes. No need for that with Holland and McLeod, who is even more expendable if McQuaid and Beleskey are on roster.

I saw Keane was sent back to his OHL team, which is the right move so he can be a part of their preseason work.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Play with 11F, 7D. That solves the defense problem. Rotate McQuaid and DeAngelo based on the situation in the game. One gets PP, the other gets PK. They can combine for 6D minutes.

Give the centers on the first three lines some extra time playing as the 4C with Meskanen and Fast on the 4th. Vesey to the press box.

No. Terrible idea. If you're supposed to be playing as 5-man groups, you want your combinations to be as static as possible.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Maybe i said what i wanted on the subject and felt i was done. I'm not obliged to reply back to you.

See my responses to you prior. If you’re going to come at me, do it in a correct manner and get your facts straight. Otherwise, keep my name out of your mouth if you aren’t going to back up your posts (and if you don’t heed that, don’t hide and run away like you’ve done).

It’s a pretty simple thing for you to do. If you’re going to say something that’s a lie or poorly researched, don’t press “Post Reply”. :)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There are no 5-man groups in the NHL.

I wasn't referring to a group of 5 players that always play together. I was referring to how the coach wants them to play on the ice. That's why I put "as possible" in there, because while you can't have 5-man units (not groups), you can limit the possible combinations. With a set 4 forward lines and 3 D pairings, there are only 12 possible 5-man variations of who is on the ice on a normal shift. If you have 6 possible forward lines (3 set lines, 3 variations on the 4th line) and 4 possible D pairings (2 set, 2 variations on the 3rd pair) that literally doubles the number of possible variations to 24. Not a good situation.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Seems to me if we're in a situation where all of Shattenkirk, Pionk, ADA, and McQ deserve to make the team – as I think is likely – the easiest solution is Occam's Razor: they all make the team, and then you rotate them in the starting lineup based on who's nicked up, what team is the opposition for a given game, recent play, etc. Throw in the inevitability of injuries and the fact that McQuaid is likely to get at the deadline... it works itself out.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Seems to me if we're in a situation where all of Shattenkirk, Pionk, ADA, and McQ deserve to make the team – as I think is likely – the easiest solution is Occam's Razor: they all make the team, and then you rotate them in the starting lineup based on who's nicked up, what team is the opposition for a given game, recent play, etc. Throw in the inevitability of injuries and the fact that McQuaid is likely to get at the deadline... it works itself out.

I believe that this was the entire purpose of the McQuaid acquisition. To do what you're saying there.

Of course, if Smith also deserves to be on the team, that throws something of a wrench into it all.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I believe that this was the entire purpose of the McQuaid acquisition. To do what you're saying there.

Of course, if Smith also deserves to be on the team, that throws something of a wrench into it all.
To me that's not really a problem, either. In fact, it's a good thing. Go with the following:

Skjei–Shattenkirk
Smith–Pionk
Staal–ADA
Claesson–McQuaid

With Claesson as the clear insurance guy/occasionally rotating with Staal and the four RD swapping in and out as described above. Hajek and Lindgren (especially the former) both look like they have bright futures, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have them start the season in the AHL.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
See my responses to you prior. If you’re going to come at me, do it in a correct manner and get your facts straight. Otherwise, keep my name out of your mouth if you aren’t going to back up your posts (and if you don’t heed that, don’t hide and run away like you’ve done).

It’s a pretty simple thing for you to do. If you’re going to say something that’s a lie or poorly researched, don’t press “Post Reply”. :)

Whatever you say tough guy

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Wouldn't it make sense to send Pionk down to play big minutes in the AHL in lieu of rotating him and ADA in the NHL?
I'm not suggesting rotating him and ADA in a straight platoon. I'm suggesting rotating all of ADA, Pionk, McQ, and even occasionally Shattenkirk (coming off an injury, remember) depending on matchups, recent play, and who's nicked up.

I've never liked the message it sends when a deserving player gets sent down simply due to contractual details. Except when it comes to the most marginal players, I think the best management policy is to figure out ways to make the roster work such that everyone who's earned the right to play sticks.

Pionk learly earned a spot last year and so far nothing he's done this camp has detracted from that fact. IMO, you find a way to make room for him.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Wouldn't it make sense to send Pionk down to play big minutes in the AHL in lieu of rotating him and ADA in the NHL?

Maybe. It really depends on whether or not you think there's anything left for Pionk to learn in the AHL. If there isn't, even limited minutes and occasional duty in the NHL is better for him.

To me that's not really a problem, either. In fact, it's a good thing. Go with the following:

Skjei–Shattenkirk
Smith–Pionk
Staal–ADA
Claesson–McQuaid

With Claesson as the clear insurance guy/occasionally rotating with Staal and the four RD swapping in and out as described above. Hajek and Lindgren (especially the former) both look like they have bright futures, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have them start the season in the AHL.

Yeah, to my point above, I don't think any of us should believe that Hajek doesn't have anything to learn from time in the AHL. It might only be until January that remains true, but it's definitely true right now.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right now, if everyone keeps playing the way they do, it's not necessarily a bad spot to be in.

Obviously you hope everyone is healthy, but injuries do happen. Additionally, you hope everything from the preseason carries over to the regular season --- but that's not a given.

So I'm not sure the question is so much about sending someone down, but figuring out who isn't in the opening night lineup.

Right now, if things keep going this route, and it were up to me, my starting right side is Shattenkirk, Pionk and ADA with McQ starting as a reserve.

I won't pretend that having a right side that averages under 6'0 and 200 pounds is the most appealing scenario in the world, but we're going to be living with imperfections for a while as things get sorted out.

Last edited:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I have always wanted to see a coach be able to pull off some rotation that worked, I am not sure why but it seems to me like it never quite works out. Someone always seems to end up scratched for a long period of time and it's usually based on whatever the coach feels is his go to depth chart whether a player is dinged up or not.

I'd prefer that both ADA and Pionk play if they are good for the rest of preseason, but I do believe McQuaid will be on the opening night playing roster.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

We get it dude, you hate Vesey. You can preach it all you want but Vesey will be in the lineup opening game.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Fontaine. If you're going to play Fogarty, you might as well play Holland. Really, I'm fine with either one... it was less what I think should happen and more what I think Quinn is going to do, though.
Eh, not too sure I’d agree here with playing Holland over Fogarty. Holland clearly would be Hartford’s top line center and help immensely down there. Fogarty, to me, can be a modern version of Brodziak type of player, not including his higher scoring years in Minny. Boo is similar too in that they both are good in the defensive/neutral zones, but are useless when they enter the offensive zone. Is that what you typically want as a 4C? I think it’s important to have a player that fits that niche to give more favorable matchups to other players. Some might argue to just play your 4 best Cs and have a constant wave of attacks.

You rang?

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
McQuaid can't sit. If the Rangers took a calculated risk by acquiring McQuaid in order to trade him at the deadline, he has to play to increase his trade value, otherwise we gave the Bruins cap space and picks for absolutely nothing.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
McQuaid can't sit. If the Rangers took a calculated risk by acquiring McQuaid in order to trade him at the deadline, he has to play to increase his trade value, otherwise we gave the Bruins cap space and picks for absolutely nothing.
He absolutely does not have to play. He was acquired to be an insurance policy to make sure we have enough NHL defensemen

That alone is worth the price we paid which wasn't that high

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think they took McQ to give themselves some options --- be it as a regular or an insurance policy.

There's still a lot of hockey left to go and things will ultimately work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad