GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I disagree, from a technical standpoint his skating is excellent, the way he moves for a big man is almost unheard of.

Quinn Hughes is also an elite skater who is about 50 lbs lighter then Day, so yes he will change direction quicker based on the laws of physics.

To say that Sean Day is "good skater for his size" is to undermine him. Sean Day would skate circles around peak Aaron Ward.

The thing with Day is that his skating is so fluid, it's silky. He can cover a lot of ground, change direction and get to places with very little wasted effort or motion. Unfortunately, because he makes it effortless, it almost looks like he isn't trying or that he isn't skating. It's simply that he doesn't make skating look like an endeavor.

A lot of times I find that people associate skating with straight-ahead speed, aka how quickly someone can zoom from Point A to Point B. But skating is also about mobility, agility, being able pivot, turn, shave off a split second by handling a better angle.

When we look at the work that Barb Underhill does, a lot of it is about efficiency and using momentum. It's not so much that players enhance their physical abilities under her training, so much as they learn to use their abilities more effectively.

Sean Day is a tremendously effective skater, more than he is a Pavel Bure speedster. That's why it's so easy to say, "if he can even be about average in everything else, his skating is enough to have him make it."

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
The thing with Day is that his skating is so fluid, it's silky. He can cover a lot of ground, change direction and get to places with very little wasted effort or motion. Unfortunately, because he makes it effortless, it almost looks like he isn't trying or that he isn't skating. It's simply that he doesn't make skating look like an endeavor.

A lot of times I find that people associate skating with straight-ahead speed, aka how quickly someone can zoom from Point A to Point B. But skating is also about mobility, agility, being able pivot, turn, shave off a split second by handling a better angle.

When we look at the work that Barb Underhill does, a lot of it is about efficiency and using momentum. It's not so much that players enhance their physical abilities under her training, so much as they learn to use their abilities more effectively.

Sean Day is a tremendously effective skater, more than he is a Pavel Bure speedster. That's why it's so easy to say, "if he can even be about average in everything else, his skating is enough to have him make it."

Exactly, he's not the fastest skater in a straight line, but his skating is elite… So anyone saying something along the lines of what Ola said is just... i don't know… it's either lying or they just haven't see enough of Day... or they have a bias against him. His skating is phenomenal, moving laterally the way he does at 225-230 lbs is almost unheard of.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Man, I totally don't care about Sean Day right now. We have a bunch of defensive prospects that are way more intriguing. Day is gonna be in the ECHL or AHL and my perspective is I'll evaluate at the end of the year and decide if I care about him again. :laugh:

He's in that Zborovskiy/Crawley/Andersson group of defenseman who I'll just kinda check in on every once in a while but otherwise don't have a ton of hope for.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Here’s insight into the new d-zone scheme. I assume many will be happy with the return to a zone-based system:

The communication, the freshness of it, the harder-edged personality behind the bench, these will all become mere footnotes if the Rangers are as footloose and fancy free in their own end as they were for the past three seasons. But the team will no longer employ the hybrid man-to-man favored by Vigneault and instead is adopting a layered zone concept in the D-zone.
“You always want pressure on the puck, but there’s more of a read aspect to it where you react to the play developing,” said Skjei. “It’s designed as a five-man structure, with the priority to protect the middle. We kind of were exposed there last year.”

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I haven't watched a ton of Day but from what Iv'e seen...yeah I mean he's so effortlessly smooth and moves around the ice at will. He's a "heavy" player so he doesn't have quick feet or look like he's darting around the ice, but hell...Scott Niedermeyer was one of the greatest skating defensemen of recent years and he was kind of the same way...just unbelievably smooth and effortless and flew around the ice without seeming like he was trying. He rarely looked like he was scrambling or sprinting anywhere.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
re: Quinn and communication. It's great. We heard from Buchnevich in a Russian language interview that AV would rarely talk to him at all and coach him and he felt lost and had no confidence. These guys need a coach to work with them at this point and get things back in order.

I suspect when AV first started he also did more direct coaching and communication but seemed to offload it to his veterans as is his style, which ultimately did not work out too great

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Knowing what to do and executing can be two very different things. The other guys are getting paid too.

I mean yeah of course, but having it be in the game plan to at least try to clear the crease is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: RGY

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
All of these quotes regarding the lack of basic on-ice communication under AV is rage inducing.
It's quite pathetic honestly.

I mean AV was top-2 or 3 highest paid coaches right? That whole article smacks of laziness. I get that things get comfortable but man, this is an NHL team spending to the cap consistently, best hotels, trainers, equipment... you name it.

Communication was an issue???? On ice. From the coach. Kreider brought it up and it still wasn't addressed?!?!

How.. The... F... is that a thing???

Reactions: RGY

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's quite pathetic honestly.

I mean AV was top-2 or 3 highest paid coaches right? That whole article smacks of laziness. I get that things get comfortable but man, this is an NHL team spending to the cap consistently, best hotels, trainers, equipment... you name it.

Communication was an issue???? On ice. From the coach. Kreider brought it up and it still wasn't addressed?!?!

How.. The... F... is that a thing???
From so many things I've read and heard over the years, head coaches, from pretty much any level of play, tend to be pretty arrogant and egotistical about things pertaining to their job. They're the top dog, what they're doing is right, they don't want to hear it be questioned or receive any feedback, etc. Especially those that have had some success. I could totally see AV as the type of guy who just disregarded any feedback from his players because he was a successful head coach. I mean maybe I'm wrong, but it makes sense. If he were a football coach I would know it's true--football coaches are just the worst. I assume many hockey coaches are similar.

Reactions: egelband

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
From so many things I've read and heard over the years, head coaches, from pretty much any level of play, tend to be pretty arrogant and egotistical about things pertaining to their job. They're the top dog, what they're doing is right, they don't want to hear it be questioned or receive any feedback, etc. Especially those that have had some success. I could totally see AV as the type of guy who just disregarded any feedback from his players because he was a successful head coach. I mean maybe I'm wrong, but it makes sense. If he were a football coach I would know it's true--football coaches are just the worst. I assume many hockey coaches are similar.
I get that but also every level of hockey communication is key... constantly reading, reacting, line changes, making plays with your back to the other team, goalies shouting out traffic and directions, penalties, icings etc. Communication is huge.

I can't believe that a team could spend so many games struggling as they did and be quiet on the ice and have a coach not address it.

AV being hands off was never a strongpoint to me.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I get that but also every level of hockey communication is key... constantly reading, reacting, line changes, making plays with your back to the other team, goalies shouting out traffic and directions, penalties, icings etc. Communication is huge.

I can't believe that a team could spend so many games struggling as they did and be quiet on the ice and have a coach not address it.

AV being hands off was never a strongpoint to me.
Hard to communicate with all of that gum in your mouth.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Exactly, he's not the fastest skater in a straight line, but his skating is elite… So anyone saying something along the lines of what Ola said is just... i don't know… it's either lying or they just haven't see enough of Day... or they have a bias against him. His skating is phenomenal, moving laterally the way he does at 225-230 lbs is almost unheard of.

I think the problem is that anyone not agreeing with me don’t know what they are talking about. But let me guess, you have some scouting friends saying that he is a phenomenal skater so he must be?

Emperors new cloaths. You said exceptional status? Oh let’s see how could this kid be on par with McDavid? Yeah his skating, that’s it, it’s super mega good.

In reality it isn’t. You and edge — why am I not surprised? — claim that he is top 5 in the world, top percentile in the NHL. Fun for you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think the problem is that anyone not agreeing with me don’t know what they are talking about. But let me guess, you have some scouting friends saying that he is a phenomenal skater so he must be?

Emperors new cloaths. You said exceptional status? Oh let’s see how could this kid be on par with McDavid? Yeah his skating, that’s it, it’s super mega good.

In reality it isn’t. You and edge — why am I not surprised? — claim that he is top 5 in the world, top percentile in the NHL. Fun for you guys. I just get annoyed because you are so utterly clueless when it comes to anything hockey related...

annnd...what gives your opinion more authority than anyone else's on here?

Day's exceptional status was basically based entirely on his skating and how it let him dominate kids when he was younger. Other than that I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Not much talk about Lettieri but I'm excited to see if he's a full-timer this season. He came out of nowhere last year and played well with Chytil in the A (I think they played together).

Plus he's a friend of a friend and I've heard from more than a few people that he's a very kind, funny guy and fitness freak to boot.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

In reality it isn’t. You and edge — why am I not surprised? — claim that he is top 5 in the world, top percentile in the NHL. Fun for you guys. I just get annoyed because you are so utterly clueless when it comes to anything hockey related...
Honestly, your opinion is just pretty straight up wrong.

There’s nothing wrong with quitting while you’re so obviously behind.

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad