GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Really the only way to solve this Day argument is if the authority in sports attributes EA adds him to NHL 19 and we can then see his raw skating attributes ie acceleration, speed, agility, back skating etc. and finally put this to rest.

Is it too late to start a petition to ensure he’s in the game cuz I can’t take anymore of this lol

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Seriously, I don’t think Day is a top percentile skater in the NHL. Why are we even discussing this topic? He isn’t even remotely that. Can you guys just stop?

@Levitate: What the heck are you talking about?

What makes me an authority on Day’s skating? I am expressing my opinion. I don’t think he would be among the best skaters in the NHL.

What entitles you to attack me for that?
Your opinion is wrong. Very very wrong. Unbelievably wrong. In my opinion.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
McQuaid can't sit. If the Rangers took a calculated risk by acquiring McQuaid in order to trade him at the deadline, he has to play to increase his trade value, otherwise we gave the Bruins cap space and picks for absolutely nothing.

Not entirely. The Rangers did lose some quantity in the deal, but it could very well garner much more at the deadline. McQuaid, IMO, is a very reliable bottom 4, crease clearing defender. He's a better player than Kampfer is, ATM. Add in the 4th and it's a good deal. The 7th is sent if McQuaid plays 25 games or if he is, indeed, traded this season. Both of which could still see NYR keeping that 7th. If they do move him, it'll probably be for a better package than what they sent to Boston. Teams making the playoffs will definitely be interested in someone like McQuaid for their push.

It's a risk, but the Rangers certainly didn't lose much in the acquisition.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like that your only argument is against my claim that he's a top percentile skater, a claim me alone is saying… Everyone else who's telling you that your takes about Days skating are wrong and awful haven't ever claimed that… Yet you keep arguing against me...

I dont understand, I don’t disagree with everyone else, I also said that he was a strong skater. I just said that I didn’t agree with him being a top skater, extremely good skater. I’ve seen that claim before that it was in relation to that I made my post. Sure he was that when he was 15, his skating haven’t taken off since and is now — IMO — certainly behind the top skaters in the world. But it’s still of course a strength, hands down.

You, with support from edge and JohnC, are the one who called me insane for not seing that he was a top percentile skater (or I don’t know how to interpret JohnCs post).

But let’s leave it at this, we can come back and see how his career plays out. If someone don’t agree with your — IMO pretty nutty claims, but hey I’ve been wrong before, I could be wrong again — they apparently have to be chased off the boards. But can’t we just for once lean back, let a topic play out and then see if I am as insane as you claim that I am? I won’t post more on it now but I am available if you want to discuss later in the season.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not entirely. The Rangers did lose some quantity in the deal, but it could very well garner much more at the deadline. McQuaid, IMO, is a very reliable bottom 4, crease clearing defender. He's a better player than Kampfer is, ATM. Add in the 4th and it's a good deal. The 7th is sent if McQuaid plays 25 games or if he is, indeed, traded this season. Both of which could still see NYR keeping that 7th. If they do move him, it'll probably be for a better package than what they sent to Boston. Teams making the playoffs will definitely be interested in someone like McQuaid for their push.

It's a risk, but the Rangers certainly didn't lose much in the acquisition.

Yes... and even if McQuaid gets hurt and we can't trade him, we really shouldn't be sweating 4th round picks. They're really not hard to come by.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Your opinion is wrong. Very very wrong. Unbelievably wrong. In my opinion.

I hope you are right! I have been wrong before. But just saying, can’t we leave it at this and then revert to this subject later? I don’t get why you always have to get attacked from 274 different fronts just because you don’t agree with claims by certain posters?

I just really don’t believe that Day is a top skater in hockey, top 5 or 10 or whatever, and I honestly just don’t think it’s such a remarkable claim that it’s something that is ‘unbelievably’ wrong. But time will tell, we will see. Ok? ;)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yes... and even if McQuaid gets hurt and we can't trade him, we really shouldn't be sweating 4th round picks. They're really not hard to come by.

Exactly. Even if McQuaid is healthy and is moved, NYR essentially just moved up in the draft!!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'll just say, Ola has been around the game for a long time, and there are very few individuals on this board whose evaluations I trust and value more than his. I don't always agree with him, but I always give him my respect, and wouldn't ever take the position that he was some lunatic because he said something I vehemently disagreed with. I think he's earned a bit more respect than that.

But, if you guys want to rip each other to shreds, by all means, go for it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wouldn't it make sense to send Pionk down to play big minutes in the AHL in lieu of rotating him and ADA in the NHL?

No, it would not.

Do we now care so little about our NHL team that accumulating assets and keeping Gorton's bad trade assets is more important than icing our best team?

While we're at it, why don't we send Buchnevich and Skjei back to the AHL?

Pionk belongs in the NHL. He's earned a spot in the lineup.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
No, it would not.

Do we now care so little about our NHL team that accumulating assets and keeping Gorton's bad trade assets is more important than icing our best team?

Uh I’ll just disagree with the ‘bad trade assets’ and leave it there.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'll just say, Ola has been around the game for a long time, and there are very few individuals on this board whose evaluations I trust and value more than his. I don't always agree with him, but I always give him my respect, and wouldn't ever take the position that he was some lunatic because he said something I vehemently disagreed with. I think he's earned a bit more respect than that.

But, if you guys want to rip each other to shreds, by all means, go for it.
I didn't say anything. I just think his opinion on Sean day is categorically wrong. That's my opinion on his opinion.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Two exhibition games against a pretty weak Devils and Flyers squads don't really tell me a whole lot right now.

I expect the Rangers are going to play hard and play to win this year. I expect that Quinn will make his personnel decisions with that in mind...and if the team isn't winning he'll move players around or up and down from the NHL/AHL. The Rangers ain't going to try to tank. Quinn and his coaching staff will pick the guys they think give them the best chance. Shatty is going to be our No. 1 D and there's a strong likelihood that McQuaid is going to be the 3RD. I don't expect Shatty is going to get tons of pk time but he will be our No. 1 power play point option. So whoever of Pionk and DeAngelo claims the 2RD to start off the season is going to get a healthy bit of penalty kill time. And IMO if the guy who opens up the season for us struggles too much it's very possible if not likely that he switches addresses with the guy he beat out. For either DeAngelo or Pionk it's going to be one thing to make the team and another to stick.

So if you have a favorite between DeAngelo or Pionk brace yourself for the possibility that Quinn is going to disappoint you either sooner or later. They are both young guys and they are both a bit over their heads as far as I'm concerned....and to own a core position which a 2RD is you have to play like a core player.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Two exhibition games against a pretty weak Devils and Flyers squads don't really tell me a whole lot right now.

I expect the Rangers are going to play hard and play to win this year. I expect that Quinn will make his personnel decisions with that in mind. The Rangers ain't going to try to tank. Quinn and his coaching staff will pick the guys they think give them the best chance. Shatty is going to be our No. 1 D and there's a strong likelihood that McQuaid is going to be the 3RD. I don't expect Shatty is going to get tons of pk time but he will be our No. 1 power play point option. So whoever of Pionk and DeAngelo claims the 2RD to start off the season is going to get a healthy bit of penalty kill time. And IMO if the guy who opens up the season for us struggles too much it's very possible if not likely that he switches addresses with the guy he beat out. It's going to be one thing to make the team and another to stick.

So if you have a favorite between DeAngelo or Pionk brace yourself for the possibility that Quinn is going to disappoint you either sooner or later. They are both young guys and they are both a bit over their heads as far as I'm concerned....and to own a core position which a 2RD is you have to play like a core player.

They can have Smith play the right side on the kill.

Reactions: Off Sides

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
They can have Smith play the right side on the kill.

Would you do that? I wouldn't. If I didn't have enough confidence in my 2RD to play him on the pk he wouldn't be on the team....and IMO it's bad enough that Shatty is so average defensively and I wouldn't want to shelter the guy that's right behind him. Keep in mind as well who we match against guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Matthews, Tavares etc. It's probably not Shattenkirk---that 2RD is going to have his work cut out for him.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
No, it would not.

New coach, clean slate. He's been worse than TDA in this preseason, he has time to change that.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
New coach, clean slate. He's been worse than TDA in this preseason, he has time to change that.

I like Pionk a lot but I don’t think it’s the end of the world if he starts in HFD. I think it would have been worse if we lost TDA on waivers.

But if TDA proves ready to handle an offensive role and Pionk keeps pushing it in HFD, I think he should replace Shatty sooner rather than later.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No, it would not.

Pionk is waiver exempt so using Buch and Skjei in this example is not making any sense. That's the whole point. Pionk is waiver exempt. We have an abundance of D men and need to do something.

Reactions: Rangers743

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
We need to develop players, protect assets and dress as good as team as possible within a salary cap. Pretty sure GMJG knows this and will act accordingly... if not, Houston...

Reactions: Ori

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Would you do that? I wouldn't. If I didn't have enough confidence in my 2RD to play him on the pk he wouldn't be on the team....and IMO it's bad enough that Shatty is so average defensively and I wouldn't want to shelter the guy that's right behind him. Keep in mind as well who we match against guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Matthews, Tavares etc. It's probably not Shattenkirk---that 2RD is going to have his work cut out for him.

I mean he’s done it practically his whole career...

He’s one of the few LHD who have been able to handle the right side. I’d keep him on the left side 5v5 and throw him out there on the right side on the PK.

Reactions: Off Sides

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pionk is waiver exempt so using Buch and Skjei in this example is not making any sense. That's the whole point. Pionk is waiver exempt. We have an abundance of D men and need to do something.

It makes sense based on how I used it. Why should we make the NHL team worse and hurt the development of one of our best young players? Pionk belongs in the NHL. You are kidding yourself if you say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad