New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I have to be in the city early Friday morning for a meeting, so I'm looking to rent a hotel Thursday night. Anyone got any non-gross hotel recommendations they can give ?

My meeting is on Wall Street but I'm game to stay pretty much anywhere from MSG down

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I have to be in the city early Friday morning for a meeting, so I'm looking to rent a hotel Thursday night. Anyone got any non-gross hotel recommendations they can give ?

My meeting is on Wall Street but I'm game to stay pretty much anywhere from MSG down
There are plenty of decent places downtown so my suggestion is to stay near your meeting place to avoid any potential problems.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Last minute question: I'm visiting NY with my wife and we're both Habs fans. Can someone guide us to a sports bar (preferably cheap due to our budget) where they'd show tonight's game against Arizona? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck in the rest of the season! Have Panarin and Zibanejad in my hockey pool.

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Last minute question: I'm visiting NY with my wife and we're both Habs fans. Can someone guide us to a sports bar (preferably cheap due to our budget) where they'd show tonight's game against Arizona? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Plug Uglies on 3rd. Have not been there in a number of years, however.

Reactions: egelband

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I swear getting a seat in the dining hall by The Garden is an impossible feat whenever there's any form of a game on. Here's to having a girlfriend who loves the Cinnamon Snail there

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Is Gerry Crosby's closing? My wife is back to work and walked by today and said the place is all packed up...

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Not sure. But there will be many places that do not reopen. I have seen and read on the store fronts already. Shame

Well, the Pandemic accelerated the trends already seen in New York City regarding retail space that we've been discussing here... High rents, coupled with low margins on sales means it's tough to make a living doing retail. If you are a bar / restaurant in Manhattan, you've pretty much just lost all your foot traffic (no office workers; no tourists) for a year. An increase in the minimum wage for staff doesn't help the bottom line.

I expect a lot of empty store fronts when I start making regular trips back to the City.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
I think we won't really know the fall-out from Covid for a few years. I expect commercial real estate to take a pounding.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
NY is an absolute mess right now. So little of it is being reported in the media right now. No matter what side of the fence you are on, it's actually baffeling to me that some of what has transpired is NOT headline news. What is being reported? Anything that fits the agenda of either political party.

Forget about Covid19. Good luck to anyone not traveling in a group to go to a game, a broadway play, etc. NY has regressed to how it was in the 70's. It's disgusting!

If you are still a New Yorker, be safe out there, and be very careful of your surroundings. That is the new reality.

Reactions: Embryo

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
NY is an absolute mess right now. So little of it is being reported in the media right now. No matter what side of the fence you are on, it's actually baffeling to me that some of what has transpired is NOT headline news. What is being reported? Anything that fits the agenda of either political party.

Forget about Covid19. Good luck to anyone not traveling in a group to go to a game, a broadway play, etc. NY has regressed to how it was in the 70's. It's disgusting!

If you are still a New Yorker, be safe out there, and be very careful of your surroundings. That is the new reality.

Yep, I spoke about this when I visited in March. The condition of the city is shocking compared to the mid 90s - early 2010s.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Yep, I spoke about this when I visited in March. The condition of the city is shocking compared to the mid 90s - early 2010s.

Not really sure how it can rebound from it either.

From a Real Estate Standpoint, the surrounding areas are lit up like a Christmas tree. Long Island in one hotspot. Westchester another. The Hudson Valley is likely next. Long Island happens to have a fairly large population of people that have already reached retirement age of 62 years old. I believe it's approx 28% of the homeowners in both Nassau and Suffolk. For everyone of those people that want to get out of New York, is another person that wants to buy and get out of the Boroughs or Manhattan. Same for Westchester. If anyone planned on retiring down South, your window is closing. Prop Values are going to surge with the amount of people exiting NY. Where will this leave Manhattan and the Boroughs? The Residential Property Values are going to tank. The Commercial Value's which were among the highest in the World are going to be available for penny's on the dollar. Restaurants, are going to be few and far between. Who will be joining GYM's now? And where does it leave the Sports teams? I hate to say it, but who is going to buy season tickets right now to the Rangers?

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I have worked in the East village for the last few days, Its a free for all in some spots. Watched several business just randomly get tossed over. Many just closed and plywooded up. The old Jewish kinish place was closed to the public and only doing online orders. Appears that it was broken into and vandalized

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I have worked in the East village for the last few days, Its a free for all in some spots. Watched several business just randomly get tossed over. Many just closed and plywooded up. The old Jewish kinish place was closed to the public and only doing online orders. Appears that it was broken into and vandalized
People on the street are doing whatever they want right now, nobody is going to stop them and they know it. I wouldn't recommend intervening either, you're very likely to get punched at a minimum or beaten, and at worst stabbed or shot.

We're in zombie world, need that COVID vaccine so people can come back and restore order

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
This Independence day is gonna be a dumpster fire with the fire works. People are gonna get killed this year.
I got a lunatic on the next block setting off stuff that shakes the house,

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This would all be significantly more compelling to me, personally, with specifics and evidence. Also, this will be WAY more compelling to me if what you are saying remains true months from now. I am not at all surprised that crime is up in the immediate aftermath of these events.
Sorry. I’m not into compelling. I’m into the actual every day.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The thing is, I am too.
Then you will probably find the 10 people shot last night, or the 11 year old the other, or the would be college freshman the other, or the baby that was slashed in a stroller fairly actual. Whether that is enough for you to be compelled is entirely up to you.

As is the pure amount of shootings when compared to last year. Compelling? Who knows. Actual? Does not get much more so.

Reactions: Embryo and bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad