New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
London and Paris in specific.

It's time NYC got their head out of their ass and modernized.

It's doable even if its slow and takes a decade.

NYC peaked in the 90s and sustained for about 15-20 years.

Ever since FaceTime, Zoom, and working remote have become a thing, the city has fallen behind.

It's time to modernize or regress.
I'm not sure the Paris metro is what we should aspire to but I haven't been on it in a while. The Asian subway systems are very nice but they were able to start from scratch which is a luxury we don't have.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'm not sure the Paris metro is what we should aspire to but I haven't been on it in a while. The Asian subway systems are very nice but they were able to start from scratch which is a luxury we don't have.

The Paris Metro system is fantastic, IMO. Efficient, easy to navigate, very clean, & I felt safe everywhere I went. My most recent visit was in January of 2019, so I'm not sure what it was like in the 10 years since my previous visit.

I'm obviously more familiar & extremely comfortable with the NYC subway system, but for someone like my girlfriend who has limited experience with urban train commuting, I think Paris is the most user friendly of the big 3; NYC, London, Paris.

Reactions: Roo Returns

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Paris Metro system is fantastic, IMO. Efficient, easy to navigate, very clean, & I felt safe everywhere I went. My most recent visit was in January of 2019, so I'm not sure what it was like in the 10 years since my previous visit.

I'm obviously more familiar & extremely comfortable with the NYC subway system, but for someone like my girlfriend who has limited experience with urban train commuting, I think Paris is the most user friendly of the big 3; NYC, London, Paris.

The DC subway system is also awesome. Granted when I was living there 18-20 years ago it had its issues in terms of closing too early but it was easy to use, navigate, and clean.

My only problem was when I went to shows at the 9:30 Club or Black Cat, you'd have to call a cab if the shows went too late because the subway would be shut, but it seems to have improved from my understanding (I've only been back there twice in 2005 and 2009 go figure).

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Should add Hometown BBQ in red hook to list of BBQ spots. It’s probably one of the best in the country, in my opinion it’s so by far the best in NYC that you’ll probably never even go to another once you’ve tried it. I’ve tried lots of spots including some famous ones down in Austin, this place is right up there with all of them.

Assuming you're talking about the list on Page 1, I made that list probably about 6 years ago haha. If I was to update the BBQ section, Hometown BBQ would be absoultely #1, no doubt about it. Honestly SO many things on the list are outdated or have closed. John Brown's was on there as my favorite BBQ place in Queens, it recently closed due to the pandemic.

I'd love to make an updated list for this thread when I have the time, maybe a longer one since I have 6 additional years of NYC dining experience now. But honestly I should probably wait to make the list until after things get back to normal a bit, never know how many more places will end up closed :(

Reactions: egelband

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Loved it as well. But did it close or move locations?

So the same people opened up a new spot in LIC/Astoria a while back called Mothership Meat Company. The plan is to change the name of Mothership to John Brown's at some point in the future, I believe. What I've had at Mothership so far has been good, but not nearly as good as John Brown's. Maybe once they change the name and officially convert it into a John Brown's the quality of the food will improve, but we'll see.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The DC subway system is also awesome. Granted when I was living there 18-20 years ago it had its issues in terms of closing too early but it was easy to use, navigate, and clean.

My only problem was when I went to shows at the 9:30 Club or Black Cat, you'd have to call a cab if the shows went too late because the subway would be shut, but it seems to have improved from my understanding (I've only been back there twice in 2005 and 2009 go figure).
The DC Metro is clean and better aesthetically than the NYC Subway. However, it is constantly in disrepair, with huge sections of it down for extended periods for maintenance. Cars catching fire is commonplace and a meme for local commuters. Definitely not an example to be building towards.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The DC Metro is clean and better aesthetically than the NYC Subway. However, it is constantly in disrepair, with huge sections of it down for extended periods for maintenance. Cars catching fire is commonplace and a meme for local commuters. Definitely not an example to be building towards.

Probably needs an overhaul. I haven't lived there in 18 years.

When I was there it was great. The only issue was nothing after 12:50 which is not as big a deal in the age of uber.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Anyone know where you might be able to score some vintage Rangers/NHL/even regular hockey apparel/shirts in the NYC area? I'd think the NHL store would only have newer Adida's stuff. I'm looking for old CCM (you know with the block lettering) Reebok (crazy to think is 'vintage' now).

Cosby's maybe? I'm not even sure they're open, Google search says they are 'temporarily closed'. Or some mom and pop shop?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Assuming you're talking about the list on Page 1, I made that list probably about 6 years ago haha. If I was to update the BBQ section, Hometown BBQ would be absoultely #1, no doubt about it. Honestly SO many things on the list are outdated or have closed. John Brown's was on there as my favorite BBQ place in Queens, it recently closed due to the pandemic.

I'd love to make an updated list for this thread when I have the time, maybe a longer one since I have 6 additional years of NYC dining experience now. But honestly I should probably wait to make the list until after things get back to normal a bit, never know how many more places will end up closed :(
In general, if any lists get updated, please also leave the old places listed for posterity’s sake. So many great places falling by the wayside. Let’s not forget.

Reactions: Don Chytil

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Anyone know where you might be able to score some vintage Rangers/NHL/even regular hockey apparel/shirts in the NYC area? I'd think the NHL store would only have newer Adida's stuff. I'm looking for old CCM (you know with the block lettering) Reebok (crazy to think is 'vintage' now).

Cosby's maybe? I'm not even sure they're open, Google search says they are 'temporarily closed'. Or some mom and pop shop?

Cosby’s has been closed since the pandemic started. No idea if it’s permanent or not but there was a rumor they got hit by the looters which is why they cleared all of their stuff out of the store and why it’s empty now. I believe you’re right regarding the NHL Store being all Fanatics/adidas and Modells is closed as well now though they’d probably carry the same stuff.

Honestly, your best bet may be eBay with all of that stuff.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Bars and restaurants back to 10PM shutdowns starting on Saturday. Not surprised but the writing is on the wall for another shutdown of sorts. Really hope we can get things under control as we head into the holiday season because if the stores (mom and pop shops inparticular) need to close before Christmas its going to take devastating to a whole new level.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Bars and restaurants back to 10PM shutdowns starting on Saturday. Not surprised but the writing is on the wall for another shutdown of sorts. Really hope we can get things under control as we head into the holiday season because if the stores (mom and pop shops inparticular) need to close before Christmas its going to take devastating to a whole new level.
Sure, because everybody knows COVID doesn't start spreading until 10 pm

It's a very punctual virus

Reactions: Boris Zubov

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY

I’m for another stricter lockdown, but cash relief for small business and people has to be a part of it also. These businesses shouldn’t be going out of business for reasons beyond their control, especially when the federal government is more than capable of stepping in and helping.

This is where the volatility in Washington is coming to screw the little guy. They’re all bickering over nonsense while the guy on Main Street is screaming for help.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sure, because everybody knows COVID doesn't start spreading until 10 pm

It's a very punctual virus

I think it is meant to prevent those late crowds who come to bars to drink and congregate.

Regardless, this will put a final nail in the coffin of these businesses who have been hanging on by a thread. Truly sad.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I think it is meant to prevent those late crowds who come to bars to drink and congregate.

Regardless, this will put a final nail in the coffin of these businesses who have been hanging on by a thread. Truly sad.

The business curfews are intended to promote social distancing and minimize the number of new infections, definitely. More people might now try to squeeze in dinner and drinks before 10pm. But if restaurants and bars continue to abide by the capacity restrictions, it should be fine. I have nothing but sympathy for the business owners and the employees -- I don't know the solution but more relief needs to be directed to those not permitted by law to work or operate.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The business curfews are intended to promote social distancing and minimize the number of new infections, definitely. More people might now try to squeeze in dinner and drinks before 10pm. But if restaurants and bars continue to abide by the capacity restrictions, it should be fine. I have nothing but sympathy for the business owners and the employees -- I don't know the solution but more relief needs to be directed to those not permitted by law to work or operate.

yeah I think the limited capacity and wearing masks makes a huge difference. If they go into a full shutdown they will not survive. I feel for the owners and feel they should be able to stay open.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
I’m for another stricter lockdown, but cash relief for small business and people has to be a part of it also. These businesses shouldn’t be going out of business for reasons beyond their control, especially when the federal government is more than capable of stepping in and helping.

This is where the volatility in Washington is coming to screw the little guy. They’re all bickering over nonsense while the guy on Main Street is screaming for help.

I agree with you here. Once the winter rolls around if Washington can get its act together and help out the little guy I could live with another 3-4 month stricter lockdown.

One thing I've found very interesting regarding restaurants during covid is how the hole in the wall dive bars are able to skirt around the food requirement with drinks. Walking around the east village or up and down 9th/10th ave all the bars that were always drinks only started slinging dollar hot dogs or .50 cent bags of chips and nothing seems to have come from it. Not complaining by any means as I would much prefer a $1 hot dog with two or three beers than a $15 burger.

Reactions: LionsHeart

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I agree with you here. Once the winter rolls around if Washington can get its act together and help out the little guy I could live with another 3-4 month stricter lockdown
There's no need to, the vaccine works, they have plans already under way to manufacture 100's of millions of vials and have already been making them . All the FDA has to do is give the green light by the end of November and the vaccine gets rolled out

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
There's no need to, the vaccine works, they have plans already under way to manufacture 100's of millions of vials and have already been making them . All the FDA has to do is give the green light by the end of November and the vaccine gets rolled out
There are huge logistical problems to overcome to get the vaccine rolled out everywhere, less so in NYC though. The vaccine isn't rolling out for months. Until then ... meanwhile the biggest obstacle is getting everyone to take it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

this is so incredibly naive.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
this is so incredibly naive.
It's not, they've been working on this since July
U.S. Government Engages Pfizer to Produce Millions of Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine
Pfizer Could Apply for Emergency Use of Covid-19 Vaccine by Late November
Pfizer’s Early Data Shows Vaccine Is More Than 90% Effective

" the amount of safety data specified by the FDA in its guidance for potential Emergency Use Authorization – will be available by the third week of November. Additionally, participants will continue to be monitored for long-term protection and safety for an additional two years after their second dose.

Along with the efficacy data generated from the clinical trial, Pfizer and BioNTech are working to prepare the necessary safety and manufacturing data to submit to the FDA to demonstrate the safety and quality of the vaccine product produced.

Based on current projections we expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021."

Pfizer and BioNTech Announce Vaccine Candidate Against COVID-19 Achieved Success in First Interim Analysis from Phase 3 Study | Pfizer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad