New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
What's your go-to order at SriPraPhai? I've been there twice and I feel like I ordered wrong both times because it was just okay for me. Everyone raves about the crispy catfish but I wasn't too into it? Think part of the issue is that they have a huge menu - but I do love authentic spicy thai food, so I'm sure there's plenty there I would like
SriPraPhai is 'alright'. Success has gone to their head, long ago they stopped giving you free rice and now you have to pay for it. But yes absolutely the place is mega spicy unless you ask for it otherwise. I love very spicy myself but some of their stuff gives you that deep tissue pain where you have to take 5-6 rapid bites and take 5-10 minutes to recover before going at it again. Red Curry chicken is my go-to there

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Well this isn't really an NYC question, but this is the closest thread I could find.
I'm in Manhattan and was hoping to drive up to the Catskills to snowboard on Monday.
I usually go up, board for 4 hours, then go back...given the forecast is that manageable this monday or insane?
I got a Jeep.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Well this isn't really an NYC question, but this is the closest thread I could find.
I'm in Manhattan and was hoping to drive up to the Catskills to snowboard on Monday.
I usually go up, board for 4 hours, then go back...given the forecast is that manageable this monday or insane?
I got a Jeep.

Prob not the best idea. City area won’t be bad, but they’re expecting a foot + in areas up 87 you’d be driving through.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
For the Las Vegas folks, do the Knights prices come down closer to game time? Eyeing January 2nd against the Flyers but am discouraged by the prices I've seen.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
For the Las Vegas folks, do the Knights prices come down closer to game time? Eyeing January 2nd against the Flyers but am discouraged by the prices I've seen.

Prices on the secondary markets, including the VGK resale site, are pure fantasy. Demand for seats this season has tanked dramatically. There's been a perfect storm of less interest because the team has been mediocre & buyers finally catching on to waiting out the sellers. The team began manipulating ticket costs since the 2017 playoffs, but it's become clear that this market couldn't sustain the insane high pricing.

If you're interested, here's most of the back story. The team decided less than a year into their existence that they undervalued their product & they were FURIOUS that resellers were making more than double their investment on the secondary market. They were determined to correct that immediately so they took advantage of their unexpected surge to the top of the standings & deep playoff run by revoking full seasons from out of state buyers & accounts they deemed "brokers". Instead as offering them to others looking to become full season subscribers, they decided to return them to market as individual games at extremely inflated prices.

For example a seat in the upper level that cost a STH $60 was now being sold for as high as $210 for individual premium opponents like the Pens or the Hawks. So people who bought those seats when onsale started in August paid $420 plus box office fees for the pair. But as demand has fallen & fallen, the team has actually lowered their own face values as the season progressed to undercut the resale market. Those Chicago tickets that started out at $210 before the season dropped in stages to a low of $75 a few weeks before the game on the VGK website. That was for unsold seats directly from the box office, not resale prices.

There's also been wide speculation that the actual amount of STHs & tickets for sale has been manipulated since the beginning. It became fairly obvious during the Stanley Cup Finals that the high volume "brokers" allowed to list their seats on Stub Hub, before the seats were even released to any STHs, were actually the Knights themselves. They gave themselves just about a 5 day head start on the resale market by intentionally holding STHs seats back between the WCFs and the Finals. (all of our tickets are electronic & couldn't be listed for resale without them appearing in our accounts).

TL/DR...I know this was a long winded reply to your question, but the bottom line is YES, absolutely wait it out before buying tickets. My AXS/VGK ticket app tells me there's still 1950 seats left for sale. If you wait it out til the day before or the day of the game, you can walk in for less than $100 each depending on what secondary market site you use. I'm sure you know buyer fees add 20-30%....the VGK website adds almost 35%. :eyeroll:

If I still had my seats for that date, I could've hooked you up to save some cash including all those BS buyer fees. I do have 3-4 friends that are STHs, if you want I'll check with them to see if their seats are still available. I do still have my 12/31 matinee seats against the Ducks if you're interested. They're yours for my actual cost if you want em.

Last edited:

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I'll be in NYC this coming weekend, with my vegetarian, 16yr old daughter and looking for a good seafood/fish place while Manhattan. Any suggestions??

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
We'll be visiting NYC from Finland in early February to see Kaapo Kakko, Miro Heiskanen and Roope Hintz play. On Sunday the 2nd we'll probably watch the Spurs vs. Man City match in the Football Factory at Legends at noon and look for some matinee theater tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square. Do you have any recommendations on where to watch the Super Bowl after that? Do all the bars require reservations that night?

Last edited:

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
I'll be in NYC this coming weekend, with my vegetarian, 16yr old daughter and looking for a good seafood/fish place while Manhattan. Any suggestions??

In the reasonably priced category, I like Upstate Craft Beer & Oyster Bar and Crave Fishbar. The best value sushi is Yasaka. And the oyster bar at Grand Central is always fun. Enjoy your stay!

Reactions: Graves94

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
We'll be visiting NYC from Finland in early February to see Kaapo Kakko, Miro Heiskanen and Roope Hintz play. On Sunday the 2nd we'll probably watch the Spurs vs. Man City match in the Football Factory at Legends at noon and look for some matinee theater tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square. Do you have any recommendations on where to watch the Super Bowl after that? Do all the bars require reservations that night?

If you're looking to have a sit down meal at a sports bar than yeah I would definitely reserve a table well in advance.

Reactions: Lepardi

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In the reasonably priced category, I like Upstate Craft Beer & Oyster Bar and Crave Fishbar. The best value sushi is Yasaka. And the oyster bar at Grand Central is always fun. Enjoy your stay!
Crave is excellent. My fave sushi is Hatsuhana. Freshest in town.

Reactions: Graves94

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
A friend just booked a 5 night stay at the Moxy hotel near MSG.

Anyone stayed there? I tried to talk her outta it - but the fare was too good for her to listen..lol

montrealmachine

Jan 8, 2013
MTL
Current opinion?

What are the best sports bars either in Manhattan or Brooklyn to watch NHL/NBA games?

I had been recommended a spot close to MSG (Flying Puck), but apparently it is closed!

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Manhattan - District Tap House, Three Monkeys, Copper John's. Foley's

Brooklyn - Keg & Lantern, 4th Down, Clara's, Brooklyn Tap House

I'll also vouch for Foleys. There are also more modern, younger venues like the Ainsworth if you're into that vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad