New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I also recommend citymapper, though found it more useful in central london than I do in Manhattan. If there's anything in particular you're interested in we might be able to provide more specific advice. We all typically live and work in different parts of the city so we will probably know more about certain parts than others. I used to work in the financial district downtown until about a month ago when my company moved to the west side 2 blocks from the garden :hit: I'm still looking for a good deli.

I'll also add that you need a metro card if you take mass transit as I don't know if any bus still accepts cash. If you take a select bus you need to pay before you board, even if you already paid for a metro card. There are kiosks by the bus stops and you will get a receipt (edit: I think you can use cash at a kiosk). If you have a regular pay-per-ride metro card the bus fare will be debited but if you have an unlimited card or are making a transfer you will get a receipt but you won't need to actually pay anything additional. On occasion MTA officials board the bus to check for receipts so make sure to have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTakedown

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I used to work in the financial district downtown until about a month ago when my company moved to the west side 2 blocks from the garden :hit: I'm still looking for a good deli.

When you find one, let me know. My old go-to place on 7th mysteriously shut down one weekend. Friday, it was business as usual. Monday, place had its windows covered and peeking in you could see the inventory was emptied over the weekend. The deli's closure was a close-kept secret...

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
In general, "Street" addresses increase east and west of 5th Avenue, and each avenue is a block of 100. So 50 West 34st Street will be between 5th and 6th Avenues. 250 West 34th Street will be between 7th and 8th Avenues.

New Yorkers are usually in a hurry. They don't like people blocking their progress, so as posted elsewhere, pull the the shoulder when you need to stop to take a look around. NEVER stop at the top or bottom of an escalator; move away from the "landing" promptly. The stream of people behind you can't stop. (There is a distinct difference in the demeanor of those in NYC during the week and those in NYC on a weekend, especially in the train stations.)

The "Transit" app can be extremely useful in determining what public transit is nearby, and how quickly it will get to where you are (bus, subway, LIRR, NJT), especially off-hours.

If you are going to make more than 14 rides on mass transit (bus, subway) during your stay, get yourself a $33 7-day unlimited MetroCard. (I believe you'll need to pay $1 for the "card" on top of the $33).

The Staten Island Ferry is free. Don't let anyone take you for a fool.

This I actually didn’t know. Would’ve though there would be a fare involved.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I also recommend citymapper, though found it more useful in central london than I do in Manhattan. If there's anything in particular you're interested in we might be able to provide more specific advice. We all typically live and work in different parts of the city so we will probably know more about certain parts than others. I used to work in the financial district downtown until about a month ago when my company moved to the west side 2 blocks from the garden :hit: I'm still looking for a good deli.

I'll also add that you need a metro card if you take mass transit as I don't know if any bus still accepts cash. If you take a select bus you need to pay before you board, even if you already paid for a metro card. There are kiosks by the bus stops and you will get a receipt (edit: I think you can use cash at a kiosk). If you have a regular pay-per-ride metro card the bus fare will be debited but if you have an unlimited card or are making a transfer you will get a receipt but you won't need to actually pay anything additional. On occasion MTA officials board the bus to check for receipts so make sure to have it.

Thanks. One last thing, is there any real use for the “express pass” when traveling around the city, or will the regular transit pass suffice? Seems the regular pass is good enough from what I’ve heard, but I just want a secondary opinion on it.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
This I actually didn’t know. Would’ve though there would be a fare involved.

The Staten Island Ferry's been free for 20 years or so now... Right around the time the MTA made MetroCard work at every subway station and on every bus, and the "free" transfer became the norm.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Thanks. One last thing, is there any real use for the “express pass” when traveling around the city, or will the regular transit pass suffice? Seems the regular pass is good enough from what I’ve heard, but I just want a secondary opinion on it.

It's not an "Express Pass" but an unlimited 7-day MetroCard that is good on the Express Buses (Routes begin with "X") that run from mid-town to the outer-boroughs. You don't need it. You won't use it. Just get the plain Jane 7-day unlimited MetroCard. Buses in Manhattan are much slower than the subway.

One downside with the 7-day unlimited cards (any unlimited card,for that matter) is that they won't work on the PATH in the event you want to spend a day in Hoboken or something.. You need to use a "Pay-per-Ride" MetroCard to pay the PATH fare.

Reactions: super6646

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
When you find one, let me know. My old go-to place on 7th mysteriously shut down one weekend. Friday, it was business as usual. Monday, place had its windows covered and peeking in you could see the inventory was emptied over the weekend. The deli's closure was a close-kept secret...
It's ridiculous. Their rents go up so they lose their lease and the location remains empty for 3+ years.

Unlimited MetroCard won't work on the air train either.

BTW there are express buses that don't start with "X"

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
It's ridiculous. Their rents go up so they lose their lease and the location remains empty for 3+ years.

Unlimited MetroCard won't work on the air train either.

BTW there are express buses that don't start with "X"

My deli turned into "Nap York". Creepy.

I can't recall ever using an Express Bus (no need), but everyone I've seen had a route number that started with "X". I guess it's true that you learn something new every day...

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
My deli turned into "Nap York". Creepy.

I can't recall ever using an Express Bus (no need), but everyone I've seen had a route number that started with "X". I guess it's true that you learn something new every day...
I used to commute on the QM11 from Forest hills to wall street.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The Staten Island Ferry's been free for 20 years or so now... Right around the time the MTA made MetroCard work at every subway station and on every bus, and the "free" transfer became the norm.
Pretty sure the SI ferry has always been free. There is s city law that states residents must be able to get to walk to city hall for free. From SI, it is the ferry. Brooklyn bridge, 59th st bridge. Forget the free bridge from the bronx.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Pretty sure the SI ferry has always been free. There is s city law that states residents must be able to get to walk to city hall for free. From SI, it is the ferry. Brooklyn bridge, 59th st bridge. Forget the free bridge from the bronx.

Please cite that law.
The Ferry was NOT always free.

From the article cited below:
Yesterday was the first free day in the 92-year history of the ferry; it started out costing a nickel. On the Staten Island side, where customers used to pay their fares, the turnstiles spun without any deposit beneath a new sign that said, ''Welcome to the Staten Island Ferry: No Fare Required.''

On the Staten Island Ferry, Illusory 'Free Ride' Is Reality

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Hmm. Interesting. Thanks. Not sure where I had heard about that "law", I guess it was incorrect.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
used to be a quarter to ride the ferry

I have no idea why they don't limit the free rides to residents with NYC ID and charge the tourists something like 5 bucks each way

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Why don't we hire the TSA to man the turnstiles while we're at it.

what does the TSA have to do with anything

The Ferry costs millions to operate, if it's subsidized to zero that should be for residents. There's a lot of ways to do it just issue a special metrocard or something

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
what does the TSA have to do with anything

The Ferry costs millions to operate, if it's subsidized to zero that should be for residents. There's a lot of ways to do it just issue a special metrocard or something
Ridership on the ferry is about 25 million per year compared to about 30 million at LGA. Who is paying to check all those IDs?

Sooth

Jun 27, 2006
Finland
www.last.fm
I'm planning to visit New York in March and considering making a weekend trip to Toronto to meet some friends at the same time.
Question: if my flight back from Toronto arrives to LaGuardia and my flight back to Helsinki leaves from JFK, how much time I need to travel between the two airports?

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I'm planning to visit New York in March and considering making a weekend trip to Toronto to meet some friends at the same time.
Question: if my flight back from Toronto arrives to LaGuardia and my flight back to Helsinki leaves from JFK, how much time I need to travel between the two airports?

LGA is about 10 miles from JFK. You would think that two airports that are so close to each other would be an easy transit. Sadly this is NOT the case.
If you are going to try this, budget 6 hours from your scheduled landing time at LGA and your departing time at JFK.

The reasons:

1. L:GA is under construction, and ingress / egress from the airport is compromised. It is not uncommon to see travelers walking in and out of the airport on foot during peak travel periods as the roads in and around the airport are at a standstill. (I had to walk out of the airport once to get my ride.)
2. Getting from LGA to JFK by mass transit can take an hour, once you are out of LGA.
3. Getting from LGA to JFK by taxi is a function of traffic on the Van Wyck Expressway. It's usually a parking lot.

Sure, you can do it in less. However, if I am PLANNING this, I am leaving myself plenty of wiggle room.

Reactions: Sooth

Sooth

Jun 27, 2006
Finland
www.last.fm
LGA is about 10 miles from JFK. You would think that two airports that are so close to each other would be an easy transit. Sadly this is NOT the case.

Haha, I knew it wouldn't be easy and that was the exact reason why I wished for a local insight :laugh:

But yeah, I was thinking that maybe 8 hours in between is a bit of an overkill but maybe I'll have to think about this a bit more.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Haha, I knew it wouldn't be easy and that was the exact reason why I wished for a local insight :laugh:

But yeah, I was thinking that maybe 8 hours in between is a bit of an overkill but maybe I'll have to think about this a bit more.
8 hours may well be overkill, but you do need to leave yourself some leeway for multiple reasons. Aside from travel time and traffic, you need to factor in the possibility of a plane being delayed.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
8 hours may well be overkill, but you do need to leave yourself some leeway for multiple reasons. Aside from travel time and traffic, you need to factor in the possibility of a plane being delayed.

Not to mention customs issues (although I imagine you pre-clear in Toronto), along with the possibility of very long TSA Checkpoint lines at JFK once you actually get there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad