New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
LIC is for rich people. Astoria might be old school in some ways but it’s packed to the brim with recent college grads and young professionals

LIC is the new Brooklyn Heights. What do studios start at in those new luxury high rises? $2800 per month?

BklynTerp

Nov 26, 2017
LIC is the new Brooklyn Heights. What do studios start at in those new luxury high rises? $2800 per month?

More or less, you can go a little lower and little higher than $28 depending on specifics.

Brooklyn Heights has character, charm and history behind it.

LIC is a soulless collection of fully amenitized high rises slapped amongst a bunch of warehouses. I know those buildings and the commute are super appealing to many but you couldn’t pay me to live there given where else one could go with that budget.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
More or less, you can go a little lower and little higher than $28 depending on specifics.

LIC is a soulless collection of fully amenitized high rises slapped amongst a bunch of warehouses. I know those buildings and the commute are super appealing to many but you couldn’t pay me to live there given where else one could go with that budget.

I agree completely with your comparison. But I remember 30 years ago, at the end of the Koch era, you could actually afford to live in the Slope or the Heights on a poor student's budget. Soon afterwards, the neighborhood was "discovered" and rents and real estate values began to soar. My comparison was related strictly to the cost of rental units, not their charm. I've read Jane Jacobs. I see these new "contained" luxury high rises as nothing more than a project with a pool and a gym. They are disconnected from the neighborhood where they are built, and will serve to alienate their tenants from their surroundings.

Rent Control laws ensure that these types of residential units will be the only ones built. Any new controlled housing will only be built as a favor for a zoning waiver... Reasonable housing? Forget about it.

I wouldn't live in LIC, either.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

I used to work in LIC right by the qbp station. The commute was great but the area sucked to work in.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I recently moved from Manhattan to Brooklyn and couldn't be happier. I would tease friends who raved about Brooklyn that they were just trying to convince themselves. Nope, I get it now. No tourists. No honking. Neighbors invested in the community. It's...really nice. And that's before factoring in what you can get for the $. I'm in Prospect Heights by the way.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

Where would you go with a similar budget? Genuinely curious as I'm looking into these things now. Short commute to midtown is priority number 1 for me, which does make LIC an attractive option (but not in one of the ugly glass towers).

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
LIC is just fine, and actually LIC is pretty vast and you can't paint the whole thing with a broad brush. Over by the water it's exactly like Battery Park City and the waterfront park is actually nicer. Behind those buildings are the older stock brownstones and random buildings and there's a good vibe all over there around vernon blvd. Over by Queensboro plaza, yes there's not much there except your apartment or hotel and a train to get you out, and north of that is all industrial and pretty drab.

Reactions: egelband

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
LIC is just fine, and actually LIC is pretty vast and you can't paint the whole thing with a broad brush. Over by the water it's exactly like Battery Park City and the waterfront park is actually nicer. Behind those buildings are the older stock brownstones and random buildings and there's a good vibe all over there around vernon blvd. Over by Queensboro plaza, yes there's not much there except your apartment or hotel and a train to get you out, and north of that is all industrial and pretty drab.

Yeah, I've lived in Astoria and I've always generally liked the vibe of LIC, so I'm a bit confused as to what people here seem to have against it.

And regarding the Queensboro Plaza area and north of there, I assume that area will all change dramatically in the next 5-10 years. With all the investment in the surrounding areas, I'd be shocked if it didn't.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Yeah, I've lived in Astoria and I've always generally liked the vibe of LIC, so I'm a bit confused as to what people here seem to have against it.

And regarding the Queensboro Plaza area and north of there, I assume that area will all change dramatically in the next 5-10 years. With all the investment in the surrounding areas, I'd be shocked if it didn't.
We were sold that line 15 years ago when I worked there. I'm sure it'll change right after the chop shops outside citi field.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
We were sold that line 15 years ago when I worked there. I'm sure it'll change right after the chop shops outside citi field.
Those are disappearing. They have torn down a bunch of those garages. Not sure what they are waiting for on the others.

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
Where would you go with a similar budget? Genuinely curious as I'm looking into these things now. Short commute to midtown is priority number 1 for me, which does make LIC an attractive option (but not in one of the ugly glass towers).

Lower Westchester isn’t as hip and energetic as LIC or anything in Brooklyn but if you’re looking for more bang for your buck you should consider it. There are many new developments only a block or two from the train station that will get you to GCT in half an hour. New Rochelle has several high rise rentals but even further down the New Haven line they’re developing several new rental properties. In Harrison a gigantic Avalon property is being built right next to the station and a new building, the Mason, just opened in Mamaroneck.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
No talk about the mini blackout?
Was it just Manhattan? I haven't looked into it much. But I saw a video of a guy ad-hoc directing traffic with the signals dead. The cheers for that guy.
And the mayor is out of town monkeying around on a paid-for junket.

Reactions: will1066

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Was it just Manhattan? I haven't looked into it much. But I saw a video of a guy ad-hoc directing traffic with the signals dead. The cheers for that guy.
And the mayor is out of town monkeying around on a paid-for junket.
Well everybody laughs at this mayor he's so bad, hopefully he doesn't do too much more damage before he leaves (I just read Trump is more popular in New York than De Blasio by like 6%).

The blackout was short and maybe 25%-30% of Manhattan, but heads are going to roll ConEd is saying they have no idea what happened and the governor is launching big flashy investigations on how this could happen, AGAIN lol (he's trying to score political points too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad