New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
It's been around forever. If you love your variety of IPAs, it's the place for you.
It's a frustrating place. Great beer selection. But the layout of the bar is awful. Hard to move around. There old location was the same way. Then moved and found a new spot with the same problems.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's a frustrating place. Great beer selection. But the layout of the bar is awful. Hard to move around. There old location was the same way. Then moved and found a new spot with the same problems.

Yeah I agree the set up is not great, and some bar stools at the end of the bar have you sitting next to a window away from the bar. You have to go Saturday early, and it's not too bad. Especially now in the summer people are away so it's not as bad. The bar has a nice warm cozy feel to it, and the beer selections are pretty good.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
The blackout was short and maybe 25%-30% of Manhattan, but heads are going to roll ConEd is saying they have no idea what happened and the governor is launching big flashy investigations on how this could happen, AGAIN lol (he's trying to score political points too)

Well, they know what happened... The system tripped out to protect itself. What they don't know is:

1. What started it, and
2. How come the system didn't behave like they told it to.

I am sure device A tripped, overloading device B, which caused that to trip... but power was supposed to go to device K, not B....

That or some rat wanted to warm up their pizza and put it on a shunt.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Well, they know what happened... The system tripped out to protect itself. What they don't know is:

1. What started it, and
2. How come the system didn't behave like they told it to.

I am sure device A tripped, overloading device B, which caused that to trip... but power was supposed to go to device K, not B....

That or some rat wanted to warm up their pizza and put it on a shunt.

I was there man, heard cops saying a manhole cover freakin' blew out of the ground at the moment it happened.

Anyone care to offer any theories on what the F that could've been ?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Anyone care to offer any theories on what the F that could've been ?
13 KV cable at 65th caught fire and instead of closing just that circuit the relay protector did nothing so the surge went down the line to 49th and the protector there shut down the whole set of networks connecting to that station

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
13 KVA cable at 65th caught fire and instead of closing just that circuit the relay protector did nothing so the surge went down the line to 49th and the protector there shut down the whole set of networks conning to that station

Me pretending to understand any of this:

giphy.webp

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
1/2/3/4/5/6/S have been completely shut down in both directions for over an hour. That's a major outage, and during Friday rush hour during a heatwave.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Jeez. This whole future thing is going to suck huh?
No, not at all; climate change is a myth perpetuated by a handful of avaricious professors, who are somehow going to make tons of money due to, um, reasons – and has nothing to do with the multi-trillion dollar petroleum industry that has been aware of the problem for decades and is willing to let the world burn in the name of profit. :shakehead

3... 2... 1... before this post gets deleted because it is "political" (and not at all factual, no) despite the fact that we're in the middle of a weekend of heat that's going to result in many unfortunate individuals dying.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The reason people are storming A51 is because that's where the plans to make the MTA an efficient, cleaner, and resilient system are

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
The reason people are storming A51 is because that's where the plans to make the MTA an efficient, cleaner, and resilient system are

Friday PM, Monday PM, and Tuesday AM the 2/3/4/5 was suspended between Brooklyn and Manhattan. Just outrageous.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
No, not at all; climate change is a myth perpetuated by a handful of avaricious professors, who are somehow going to make tons of money due to, um, reasons – and has nothing to do with the multi-trillion dollar petroleum industry that has been aware of the problem for decades and is willing to let the world burn in the name of profit. :shakehead

We humans are addicts to modern life and convenience. People will complain. The evidence will be put in front of them. I don't believe, as a species, we have the determination to put an end to modern-day living and return to a pre-industrial way of life. I don't believe enough alternatives exist to take us off our current path.

New York would be unlivable without electricity and imports of food. Luckily water flows downhill..

Reactions: Synergy27

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
We humans are addicts to modern life and convenience. People will complain. The evidence will be put in front of them. I don't believe, as a species, we have the determination to put an end to modern-day living and return to a pre-industrial way of life. I don't believe enough alternatives exist to take us off our current path.

New York would be unlivable without electricity and imports of food. Luckily water flows downhill..

Not the right forum for this conversation, but I agree with this. As life improves, so do expectations, i.e., what was once amazing becomes commonplace and expected. Hard to convince people to give stuff up once they have it, regardless of how necessary that may be for future we’ll being.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'M NEVER CRITICIZING THE USPS AGAIN. I put this in the NYC thread because my international parcel shipments went through the USPS's ISCNY at JFK.

I scored two vintage, new, sealed Metallica remastered, audiophile versions of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets on eBay from a seller in Germany. Here's what they look like:
images

The two discs were listed separately, and I bought them separately. The seller shipped them out separately but at the same time from Germany. Both arrived at JFK/ISCNY and were scanned at the same time on July 23.

That's when things went awry. The MOP disc continued its journey, getting scanned at the Queens distribution center, then making the trip down to DC. I got the disc last Friday.

Activity for the RTL disc, meanwhile, went completely dead. Since last Tuesday, tracking status remained stuck as being "processed through our ISC facility." I researched online and found the phone numbers for both USPS and Customs at ISC. Called Customs, and they said the disc went through, there's no Customs hold on it. Called USPS at ISC, got a recording and left a voicemail pleading for them to look for it. Also called the 800 number for USPS Customer Care, but they were no help.

Stayed home and working from home today, waiting for a different package when the postman showed up. Opened up the door and I see the package for the RTL disc. I knew it was the package because the seller packed identically for MOP.

Looked closer, and the package is wet. It must've went through hell or something. The barcode part of the label is all wrinkled up and partially shredded. No wonder the package couldn't be scanned. Thank god the portion of the label with my address wasn't affected.

An apparent angel at ISC wrapped up the package in clear plastic and sent it on its way. After getting soaked, the cardboard of the package was soft and ripping, and that person or anyone else could've easily just taken the disc out and kept it. So the whole chain from Queens down to DC must've just pushed the package along without scanning, and it showed up today.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Calgarian coming in to ask about your guys city (I'm sure you've already had people do the same thing):

So I'm visiting relatives in NYC in a couple weeks and will be staying in midtown Manhattan. I should probably (hopefully) be fine getting my way around, but if anyone here could offer general advice while traveling around, that would be great.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Calgarian coming in to ask about your guys city (I'm sure you've already had people do the same thing):

So I'm visiting relatives in NYC in a couple weeks and will be staying in midtown Manhattan. I should probably (hopefully) be fine getting my way around, but if anyone here could offer general advice while traveling around, that would be great.
- Walk or take the subway as much as possible.
- Manhattan is (mostly) a grid system, so it should be pretty intuitive to navigate.
- For planning transportation, use Citymapper.
- Let people off the subway before you try to get on.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Don't stop in the middle of the sidewalk or at the top of stairs.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
- Walk or take the subway as much as possible.
- Manhattan is (mostly) a grid system, so it should be pretty intuitive to navigate.
- For planning transportation, use Citymapper.
- Let people off the subway before you try to get on.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Don't stop in the middle of the sidewalk or at the top of stairs.

Later 2 seem to generally apply everywhere, though I’ll note that anyhow.

From what I’ve read, cities along the eastern seaboard have much better public transit than in the western parts of the country. Since I’m not a big fan of driving to begin with, that seems like a big positive.

Never heard of citymapper, but I’ll definitely look into that as well before I arrive.

Anyway, thank you very much, and I am very much looking forward to going to nyc for the first time.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

In general, "Street" addresses increase east and west of 5th Avenue, and each avenue is a block of 100. So 50 West 34st Street will be between 5th and 6th Avenues. 250 West 34th Street will be between 7th and 8th Avenues.

New Yorkers are usually in a hurry. They don't like people blocking their progress, so as posted elsewhere, pull the the shoulder when you need to stop to take a look around. NEVER stop at the top or bottom of an escalator; move away from the "landing" promptly. The stream of people behind you can't stop. (There is a distinct difference in the demeanor of those in NYC during the week and those in NYC on a weekend, especially in the train stations.)

The "Transit" app can be extremely useful in determining what public transit is nearby, and how quickly it will get to where you are (bus, subway, LIRR, NJT), especially off-hours.

If you are going to make more than 14 rides on mass transit (bus, subway) during your stay, get yourself a $33 7-day unlimited MetroCard. (I believe you'll need to pay $1 for the "card" on top of the $33).

The Staten Island Ferry is free. Don't let anyone take you for a fool.

Reactions: Crease
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->